PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wilson loses starting job to Sanders?

Status
Not open for further replies.
we need sanders and merriweather to step up. I remember a certain FS back in 2001 Jones, he hit the receivers very hard.

I'd rather have Merriweather out there free-lancing and intimidating rather than Wilson throwing his lifeless body at the ball carriers legs.

He's awful.

But let's keep him out there forever because he seems like a nice guy.
Arturo Freeman tried that and he was out of town two weeks after being signed.

Word is that the coaching staff is really displeased with Meriweather's progress and grasping the playbook and his time playing time has been reduced in recent weeks. The guy has been a liabilty in coverage. I wouldn't trust him over Sanders or Wilson right now. It might not be his fault, but I doubt that he will be starting any time soon.

From Profootball Weekly:

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/Whispers/2007/whispers102007.htm

Word of advice?

It's never intelligent to take these type of "whispers" as fact. Also, the Patriots are usually slow with their rookies so Meriweather's not seeing a lot of time isn't a surprise to those with an understanding of NE's system. The rumor posted doesn't say "the coaching staff is really displeased" with Brandon either.

Word of advice?

It's never intelligent to take these type of "whispers" as fact. Also, the Patriots are usually slow with their rookies so Meriweather's not seeing a lot of time isn't a surprise to those with an understanding of NE's system. The rumor posted doesn't say "the coaching staff is really displeased" with Brandon either.
To piggyback on this, Ellis Hobbs hardly saw the field until week 9 his rookie year, and he had a one-legged Duane Starks ahead of him, not James Sanders and Eugene Wilson.

I have to say I like this secondary as whole

Samuel
Hobbs
Gay

Harrison
Sanders
Wilson
Merriweather

That is a solid group overall. We won't be seeing a replay of last year's AFCCG game anytime soon. They each have different strengths which is perfect for a guy like Belichick who can put together different packages.

I like Wilson and he looked great early in the year, I think he is still good to have around as a cover safety when facing teams like the Colts.

wilson isn't going to sign next year.....lost astep back in '05...

Word of advice?

Plus it says part of the reason is the Patriots are undecided whether he should play safety or cornerback. This is a case where local fans know more than these rumor mongers.

Anyone reading the local papers knows his experiment at corner in camp was really bumpy, he was not good and he hated it. Certainly they like to cross train, but the thought that they are "undecided" based on his camp experience is hilarious.

This isn't even the interview I was looking for but...

"The 5-foot-11-inch, 200-pound Meriweather looked like a natural, which was to be expected since that is where he spent most of his career at the University of Miami. Of his 31 collegiate starts, 27 came at safety."

"It felt good being back there, able to see everything, roam, and play how I played in college," he said. "It's a spot I have fun playing."

"When I came here and got put at corner, it was kind of a mind shocker," he said.

Last edited:
eI think Sanders has done a really solid job and THAT is the reason he is starting ahead of Gino. For one, I really think if one looks at the film, in the last weeks, Sanders has been a solid tackler, while Wilson has been more inconsistent in his play. Against Dallas, on two runs in a row by Jones, for yards, it was Wilson who missed tackles on each play. Whether Sanders has elevated his play or Wilson has lowered his, it is good to have two OTHER safeties that can play.
I did expect Wilson to step it up this year, but his play has NOT been solid like it was in 04 even. He looked lost in 05 without Rodney and in 06, it was teh injury bug. He's been up and down this year while Sanders has been more consistent. I think Wilson may be gone after this year...maybe to the Jets as Mangini has shown interest.
Not sure of all the reasons why his play has been spotty, but it is not like in 03/04. Meriweather will take time and with 3 other safeties, they will not rush him.

Word of advice?

Well, the evidence is there. Meriweather does run around without seeming to know his responsibilities a lot of the time.

I'd rather have Merriweather out there free-lancing and intimidating rather than Wilson throwing his lifeless body at the ball carriers legs.

He's awful.

But let's keep him out there forever because he seems like a nice guy.

This defense is not a defense where you can freelance. This defense is based on everyone knowing their responsibilities and playing their roles. Hard hitting does not mean you are a good safety especially in this defense. Wilson is still arguably our best safety in coverage and Meriweather does look lost out there a lot of the time. We can't have Meriweather out there except in situational packages and mop up duty until he learns discipline.

I'm pretty sure reporting indicated Sanders made the calls when he started next to Wilson earlier in the season.

And we know Wilson struggled w/o Harrison before that.

It seems like he's not quite mentally up to what's needed from him.

I'm pretty sure reporting indicated Sanders made the calls when he started next to Wilson earlier in the season.

And we know Wilson struggled w/o Harrison before that.

It seems like he's not quite mentally up to what's needed from him.

Wilson played pretty well without Harrison this year. He did play a role in keeping the pass happy Bengals and Browns in check. I think the without Harrison thing is overplayed. I think he struggled making the calls in the secondary and making sure all the inexperienced secondary personnel were in the right place.

You do have to remember when Harrison went down, he was the only one with more than a year's worth of experience at his position in the secondary. Gay was a rookie undrafted free agent. Samuel was a second year player with his first year at starting. Artrell Hawkins was a CB converted to safety. I think that had more to do with his struggles than not having Harrison around.

I still think his benching had to do with the coaching staff just liking Sanders better for at least the Miami game since Miami is a run heavy offense and Sanders is better vs. the run. The Pats are about starting the best players for the situation. That is why Mike Wright started over a better Jarvis Green against Dallas. The Pats gameplan was to stop the run and force Romo to throw and they feel Wright is better vs. the run. They also wanted to take away Witten too. That is why Sanders, Wilson, and Harrison were on the field together for most of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back