PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wilson,hobbs,callaghan out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I seem to recall just a weed ago, Wilson was the weak link of the secondary, yet now his loss is impossible to overcome?

Hobbs has me worried a little, and I like what I have seen of O'Callaghan so far.

No matter, NE will win this game.

Oswlek said:
I seem to recall just a weed ago, Wilson was the weak link of the secondary, yet now his loss is impossible to overcome?

* Wilson played, and tackled, better against Denver. If you think he was the weak link, think less of him not playing and more about what replaces him. Is that guy better?

Hopefully Kaczur is ready to go. Probably going to be a little rusty. Did he play at all in the preseason? I don't think he did.

PatsSteve1 said:
Oswlek said:

* Wilson played, and tackled, better against Denver. If you think he was the weak link, think less of him not playing and more about what replaces him. Is that guy better?

Exactly, Wilson and Hobbs weren't that good to begin with and our secondary was getting burned for big plays. Their replacements are even worse and now we are going against one of the best group of WRs in the league, I don't see how we stop them at all.

gfecte01 said:
Hopefully Kaczur is ready to go. Probably going to be a little rusty. Did he play at all in the preseason? I don't think he did.
No he didn't play in pre-season, I actually expect Britt to start, Nick is still questionable on the injury report, I can't see putting him back in too early for the 4th game of the season.

patchick: Was it you talking about O'Callaghan's history of concussions?

Seymour93 said:
Don't expect to give up big plays on the road and win. We gave up just two at home and we weren't even close at the end. The offense has to be clicking when we respond to their long scoring drives, and judging by the first three games it isn't.

I don't know. If I recall, the last time the Pats played in Cincy, the team was decimated by injuries also. Law was out which forced Geno and Gay to play CB with Dexter Reid playing Geno's spot at safty. I think Troy played the slot CB and even picked off a pass. Regardless, that DB-field gave up huge plays in that game and pulled out a win. Granted, we had a more solid receiving corp, though Givens might have been out (not sure), but each meeting opens a new set of conditions and problems. Frankly, even with the lackluster showing from the offensive side of the ball, I'm not ready to pack in this game with pessimism. This team still has too much heart.

Last edited:
Oswlek said:

Two weeks ago to be precise. Last week, Wilson rebounded and had a very solid game before getting injured.

No matter, NE will win this game.

Now you're talking!

PatsSteve1 said:
Oswlek said:

Sorry I wasn't clear. :cool: I never thought that Wilson was bad, but I know that some of those who have expressed doubt about this game due to this news did.

I still think NE can win this game, even without those players. We saw one of their worst offensive performances last week, which lead to the D being on the field more than usual and it has skewed how people look at this game. They are not as bad as they looked last week, and Cincy does not match up defensively anywhere near as well as Denver did.

NE just seems to play better when it looks like they have no chance.

Wotan_the_Wanderer said:
Two weeks ago to be precise. Last week, Wilson rebounded and had a very solid game before getting injured.

Now you're talking!

One week ago today, Wilson had not played Denver yet. ;)

Last edited:
bball831 said:
PatsSteve1 said:
Exactly, Wilson and Hobbs weren't that good to begin with and our secondary was getting burned for big plays. Their replacements are even worse and now we are going against one of the best group of WRs in the league, I don't see how we stop them at all.

How about sack their QB often?

Oswlek said:
One week ago today, Wilson had not played Denver yet. ;)

The day, date and time itself becomes meaningless when one gets into the football week mode. Where the hell are your priorities, man?!:rocker:

Oswlek said:
PatsSteve1 said:
Sorry I wasn't clear. :cool: I never thought that Wilson was bad, but I know that some of those who have expressed doubt about this game due to this news did.

I still think NE can win this game, even without those players. We saw one of their worst offensive performances last week, which lead to the D being on the field more than usual and it has skewed how people look at this game. They are not as bad as they looked last week, and Cincy does not match up defensively anywhere near as well as Denver did.

NE just seems to play better when it looks like they have no chance.

That is the key. Cincy doesn't match up as well as Denver, at least presumably, on Defense. IF we can run the ball, that takes a lot of pressure off other areas. For starters, it will keep the Cincy O off the field for longer periods of time. The other thing is the big plays. Against NY and against Denver we gave up a lot of completed passes. But the two long passes were the killers. Obviously, this secondary isn't anywhere near mid season form. However, I am not so sure there will be that much of a drop off with tomorrow's secondary. It's the big plays! If we don't make 'em earn every point with sustained drives we are doomed. Again, I actually have confidence that the guys playing tomorrow have as much ability to stop the big play as last week's group...whatever that's worth.

Maybe a blessing in disquise.

Scott/Samuel is a more physical combination than Samuel/Hobbs.

Scott is no dog and has experience and has the physical tools to deal
with the big Bengal receivers. He may need help at times but this just
could be a good thing.

Hawkins was doing well towards end of last year. Working next to Rodney
he should do fine.

DB depth takes a hit.
Just hope no injuries here or they may end up havingto call on Troy.

O'C is a loss ...hopefully Kaczur is recovered enough ... if so it won't be
bad. Just hope Light is fully recovered or PATs run game could suffer
again this week.

Wotan_the_Wanderer said:
I don't know. If I recall, the last time the Pats played in Cincy, the team was decimated by injuries also. Law was out which forced Geno and Gay to play CB with Dexter Reid playing Geno's spot at safty. I think Troy played the slot CB and even picked off a pass. Regardless, that DB-field gave up huge plays in that game and pulled out a win. Granted, we had a more solid receiving corp, though Givens might have been out (not sure), but each meeting opens a new set of conditions and problems. Frankly, even with the lackluster showing from the offensive side of the ball, I'm not ready to pack in this game with pessimism. This team still has too much heart.

Where was all this so-called heart last week against Denver? That's what I thought. The previous Patriots teams had heart. This team hasn't proven they have heart. You are just saying they do. There's a big difference.

I'm Ron Borges? said:
Where was all this so-called heart last week against Denver? That's what I thought. The previous Patriots teams had heart. This team hasn't proven they have heart. You are just saying they do. There's a big difference.
I don't think the Pats lack heart.

Tampa Bay does lack spleen, however.

JR4 said:
Maybe a blessing in disquise.

Scott/Samuel is a more physical combination than Samuel/Hobbs.

Scott is no dog and has experience and has the physical tools to deal
with the big Bengal receivers. He may need help at times but this just
could be a good thing.

Hawkins was doing well towards end of last year. Working next to Rodney
he should do fine.

DB depth takes a hit.
Just hope no injuries here or they may end up havingto call on Troy.

O'C is a loss ...hopefully Kaczur is recovered enough ... if so it won't be
bad. Just hope Light is fully recovered or PATs run game could suffer
again this week.

A blessing? Losing three key starters is now considered a blessing by Patriots fans? Also, you forgot to mention that Chad Scott sucks in coverage and will get eaten alive. But I guess that's a blessing.

Don't forget to look at the opponents Injury report also.
They are decimated far worse.
In fact last week they gave up 6 sacks.
Wilfork and Seymour will earn their paychecks this week IMO.

jct said:
Don't forget to look at the opponents Injury report also.
They are decimated far worse.
In fact last week they gave up 6 sacks.
Wilfork and Seymour will earn their paychecks this week IMO.

I hope so. Saw that Pitt game last week, they got constant pressure on Palmer. IMO, the only way we win this game is if our DL dominates and gets to Palmer. If they give him time to throw, Pats will get eaten alive.

SVN said:
might see troy brown back in the secondary...poor number 80.
this is very similar to the game in st louis in 2004 and we found a way to win, thats the +ve in the comparison.
How are we going to swing that? We don't have any other receivers. If we hadn't cut Klecko, I could see how this move would be feasible but not now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes