PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wilson CB; Vrabel ILB

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Perhaps we should get used it. This will help us focus on where the defense is going. At this point no one is likely to come in from the outside and be effective at ILB. The real questions are who will start Game One opposite Vrabel and who will start opposite Wilson.

Last edited:
If Wilson and Hobbs are the starting outside CB and Samuel is the "starting" inside CB (Nickel) with Gay able to backup all three I think we're above average there. Not great but above average and certainly good enough.

ILB, against Jax in the playoffs we kicked butt with Vrabel and Beisel inside so for a few games I think we'd be OK with Vrabel and pretty much any of the possibilities until Bruschi comes back.

As far as Vrabel going inside, it's weighing heavy on my mind.
Let's hope that's a last resort.
I'm sure all eyes will be glued to the LB's from here on.
I'm holding off on a Biesel judgement, but so far, well, you know.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I prefer Vrabel to be outside.

mgteich said:
Perhaps we should get used it. This will help us focus on where the defense is going. At this point no one is likely to come in from the outside and be effective at ILB. The real questions are who will start Game One opposite Vrabel and who will start opposite Wilson.

Game one, I am almost positive Bruschi will be back, if not it will be Beisel. As for if Wilson is starting at CB. Samuel will be opposite him hands down as a matter of fact it may be the other way around with Samuel as the number one corner.

Moning Vrabel inside hinges on TBC and Brown forming a OLB rotation with Colvin. BB had positive things to say about TBC and Chad Brown is back at his natural OLB spot with a year in the System. Vrabel, Bruschi and Beisel could be a strong rotation at ILB.

Given how often we play 2-3 LB in dime nickle packages this becomes viable. Then the rest of the LB's are ST guys.

patsfan13 said:
Moning Vrabel inside hinges on TBC and Brown forming a OLB rotation with Colvin.
That's what I'm afraid of. lol

I'm not sure the corners ARE above average, but they are adequate. I would add that Chad Scott has looked good, and should also be available as a backup. They may be above average by the playoffs as Wilson learns to be an NFL corner at the highest level.

Until Bruschi comes back, we will have one stong linebacker inside, and one out, better than having both outside. In the end, ILB is the more difficult position for the patriots. Banta-Cain can certainly play pass-rushing OLB.

As last year, I don't think that this defense will be strong until Bruschi is back healthy. Of course, this year we have a stronger clock-eating running game and a much weaker schedule.

BelichickFan said:
If Wilson and Hobbs are the starting outside CB and Samuel is the "starting" inside CB (Nickel) with Gay able to backup all three I think we're above average there. Not great but above average and certainly good enough.

ILB, against Jax in the playoffs we kicked butt with Vrabel and Beisel inside so for a few games I think we'd be OK with Vrabel and pretty much any of the possibilities until Bruschi comes back.

mgteich said:

Until Bruschi comes back, we will have one stong linebacker inside, and one out, better than having both outside. In the end, ILB is the more difficult position for the patriots. Banta-Cain can certainly play pass-rushing OLB.
Harrison's return should help as well. Providing run support in the middle.

Umm....once again, are we reading too much into this ? Where has it been set in stone that Wilson is one of our starting CB's ? Has he practised or played safety at all during camp and preseason ? Same goes for Vrabel, didn't he play OLB the other night ? Why are we starting these threads that sound like these are forgone conclusions ?

Last edited by a moderator:
mgteich said:
I'm not sure the corners ARE above average, but they are adequate. I would add that Chad Scott has looked good, and should also be available as a backup. They may be above average by the playoffs as Wilson learns to be an NFL corner at the highest level.

As last year, I don't think that this defense will be strong until Bruschi is back healthy. Of course, this year we have a stronger clock-eating running game and a much weaker schedule.

I like Wilson at CB; add Samuel, Hobbs, Gay, Poteat and Andrews, and you have a young, fast, aggressive and deep group.
At FS, I would like to see Chad Scott, Warfield, Hawkins and Guss Scott. Here you have size, experience and coverage ability.
At SS, Rodney starts, if healthy, followed by Sanders and Tebucky. They are the biggest and strongest DBs on the roster.

Last edited:
Based on BB's comments today - extensive ones - Tully Banta-Cain is really stepping up his game. I think this could be a terrific development, much needed, 'though in a perfect world, we'd leave Vrabel as an OLB.

I'm happy with moving Vrabel inside because of this. It's really only
on first down if we can stop the run. Which I'm sure we'll be fine at
once Bruschi comes back. He moves to the edge in the nickel(TBC or
whomever starts comes out.) I loved our draft. But, boy do we have
to get some younger lb's next year to mix in with our vets.

Haven't seen enough of Eugene to make my mind up. And, I don't
think anyone has. Let's see how he covers some of the top wr's before
we pronounce him a solid cb. I know we don't ask our cb's to do a lot
in cover 2. But, we shall see. As a fail-safe, we know he's a good FS.

You can't keep 13 defensive backs.

captain stone said:
I like Wilson at CB; add Samuel, Hobbs, Gay, Poteat and Andrews, and you have a young, fast, aggressive and deep group.
At FS, I would like to see Chad Scott, Warfield, Hawkins and Guss Scott. Here you have size, experience and coverage ability.
At SS, Rodney starts, if healthy, followed by Sanders and Tebucky. They are the biggest and strongest DBs on the roster.

I think all of those make it except Guss Scott, Poteat and Warfield.

mgteich said:
You can't keep 13 defensive backs.

True. What I intended to show was my preference for a DB depth chart, by position. There's still a ways to go before opening day, but the pecking order appears to be:

CB: Wilson - Samuel - Hobbs - Gay - Andrews - Poteat

FS: Chad Scott - Hawkins - Guss Scott - Warfield

SS: Harrison - Sanders - T.Jones

This list is based on the position I would like to see each guy play; 13 dbs won't happen, but 11 is a possibility, esp. if Davis and/or Izzo are released. As of now, Poteat and Warfield seem to be odd men out, but there are still 3 more games, and more practices, to make an impression.

If you've got one of the better safeties in the league in Wilson, why do you move him to corner where he basically starts from scratch? I know depth at corner is an issue, but the situation doesn't seem dire enough to me to move Geno yet.

You move Wilson to CB because his play fell off the map when Harrison went down with the injury.

The secondary depends on Harrison's return. If Harrison is not able to start for the first game, then Wilson stays at CB opposite Hobbs and Samuel becomes the slot nickel. Hawkins and Sanders start at safety with each playing like a SS, they would split the field.

If Harrison is able to go from day 1, then Wilson moves back to FS, Sanders and Hawkins sit and Samuel starts at CB opposite Hobbs.

At LB I think Vrabe moves inside with Gardner until Bruschi is healthy enough to return. Colvin and TBC/Brown man the outside. In obvious passing situations, Vrabel moves outside, (or could alternate with TBC/Brown) with Colvin and a SS takes Gardner's place. Then either the Pats use a dime back on 3rd on long or Green on 3rd and medium distance.

The key to the BB defense is to force the oppsing offense into third and long. Then the Pats defense makes a play in order to get off the field.

I also think having Vrabel inside will be better..have TBC..Alexander or even Woods outside..since they'll be next to Vrabel probably..he can always help them out in the huddle since hes great at both in and out. A lot better than having Beisel or anyone inside

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back