PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Willie wants to retire a Patriot!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Willie was openly discussing his unwillingness to take a haircut to remain here as his production slipped so they didn't even bother asking... He had a little bit of Lawyer Malloy mentality in him, as did Seymour. Willie and RAC reportedly had a deal in place before he was cut. That stuff doesn't resonate here as the prototype patriot.
I disagree. Willie took a number of paycuts (granted he was overpaid before taking them) but it was definitely a mutual decision for him to move on.

I don't see any reason why he shouldn't retire a Patriot. Sign that man to a 1 day contract!

As much as I agree about Willie being a Pats HOF'er, may never happen because in a couple of years there will be a huge bottleneck of players from the glory years becoming eligible..

Noticed that, it will be between Willie and Bruschi in one year.

And while I'm extremely biased, I honestly feel Willie deserves it more. While Bru was more accessible to the media, Willie meant more to those teams on the field and in the locker room.

What difference does it make who he "retires with" if it's just a formality? "sign him" then "cut him" to make it "official"? Sounds like stupidity to me. "Please sign Willie!"...what is he your crush? Do you have his picture underneath your pillow?".

You never forget your first sports idol. Up until my McCourty jersey came in the mail (today) I was still wearing his jersey for every game, not really ready to give it up...hmm maybe I could use it as a blankie to cuddle with?

McGinest has been gone for how many years and the Pats are STILL looking for a guy to play that "elephant" position that Belichick loves to utilize so much. Willie McGinest is one of the biggest IMPACT players this team has had. You can't begin to count the BIG PLAYS he made in BIG GAMES. Always came to play, always made the play. If the Pats had McGinest they don't loose to the NYJ last January in the playoffs. McGinest would have made a play, or at least would have woken up the rest of the team so SOMEONE could have made a play to win the game.
At any rate, sign me up for retiring #55 FOREVER...

It would be tough to list all the clutch plays he made. There were games that kind of get forgotten because of their somewhat insignificance. Like the season finale against the dolphins in 02 for instance. We needed a win to have a chance to get back to the playoffs. In consecutive plays Willie stops sticky Ricky for a loss then sacks (fiedler?) to force the fish to punt deep inside their own territory late in the game. We score the next possession and win by 3 in ot. I could go on and on.

I disagree. Willie took a number of paycuts (granted he was overpaid before taking them) but it was definitely a mutual decision for him to move on.

It really did seem like every year Miguel had an update to his contract with yet another restructure to help the cap hit lol

I hope you mean the Patriots HOF 'cause he has no real shot at Canton. Two pro bowls and never an all pro in a 15 year career. And there will be a long list of intriguing players from the Belichick NE era to be considered by the veterans committee well down the road and even guys like Law and Vinatieri and Seymour won't waltz in and perhaps Wilfork and Mankins and Mayo may yet emerge as potential candidates. Guys like Rodney and even Bruschi have an outside eventual shot and I'd lump Willie in with them - but only so many of those guys will get the nod. Willie was a larger than life presence here, but some of that was locker room player fueled smoke and mirror's perception. Bill could have kept him or taken him back after Cleveland and he showed zero interest. He should have been a HOF player but he ended up being more of a HOTVG player here.

Richard Seymour must be in the hall of fame!

What the hell. I'll take a one-day flyer on Willie. Well....... if he can still rush the passer that is. ;)

No brainer...... Do it... Take some nice pics, shed a few tears recalling the good times with the boys at your retirement party and then go enjoy the rest of your life. Happy and content. He wasn't my favorite player of that era, but he certainly earned the right to retire wearing the flying elvis.

Last edited:
Ty Law wants back home too!

I didn't want to make a new thread for what is basically the same story, but it'd be great to bring both these guys back home where they belong to retire, lets get Milloy back too!

Ty Law wants back home too!

I didn't want to make a new thread for what is basically the same story, but it'd be great to bring both these guys back home where they belong to retire, lets get Milloy back too!

I think Law will have a tougher time getting the Pats to give him an one day contract to retire, but I actually think they should. Eventhough he was disruptive that one offseason with his comments about Belichick, he was a big part of two championships. He almost single handily shutdown Manning in the 2003 AFC Championship game.

Don't forget Big Sey and Vrabel ;)

Last edited:
I think Law will have a tougher time getting the Pats to give him an one day contract to retire, but I actually think they should. Eventhough he was disruptive that one offseason with his comments about Belichick, he was a big part of two championships. He almost single handily shutdown Manning in the 2003 AFC Championship game.

Glad to see a WHOLE new thread wasn't created for Ty Law... but yeah, I think he should retire as a Patriot. I'm partial though, prior to Brady, Law and McGinest were my favorite Patriots and are legends that deserve to be recognized.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes