PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Willie Parker's Extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

BelichickFan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
He signed a 4 year deal for less than $14M with Pittsburgh. Same basic age as Branch. And he's better. 1,400 yards (1,200 rushing, 4.7 average) last year, different position I know.

FA again around 30 years old. So for the few Branch supporters, use this contract to tell me why 3 years, $18M to Branch is unfair.

BelichickFan said:
He signed a 4 year deal for less than $14M with Pittsburgh. Same basic age as Branch. And he's better. 1,400 yards (1,200 rushing, 4.7 average) last year, different position I know.

FA again around 30 years old. So for the few Branch supporters, use this contract to tell me why 3 years, $18M to Branch is unfair.
What amount of the Parker deal is guaranteed?

Last edited:
BelichickFan said:

Actually, it's more unfair to Parker. When this deal was announced I couldn't believe how cheap they got him. He hits the open market and he cashes in.

Still, if he outperforms the extension and has a couple of truly monster years he and his agent will want to back to the table and talk about more money before the contract is done. Happens all the time. Plus who knows how much of it is gauranteed?

SoonerPatriot said:
Actually, it's more unfair to Parker. When this deal was announced I couldn't believe how cheap they got him. He hits the open market and he cashes in.

Still, if he outperforms the extension and has a couple of truly monster years he and his agent will want to back to the table and talk about more money before the contract is done. Happens all the time. Plus who knows how much of it is gauranteed?
He could also care about money but MORE about winning. Might be loaded with incentives too.

jaychamp said:
He could also care about money but MORE about winning. Might be loaded with incentives too.

Never been in that camp. They ALL care about the money. The feel-good hometown discount stuff is mythology. The question is to what degree do they care about the money? The answer to that varies by the player.

Parker was an exclusive rights player this year, so he was 2 years away from UFA and was going to play for short money this year. Plus, he only has 1 productive year under his belt, so there was some risk that Pittsburgh assumed.

Plus, Parker was very loyal to Pittsburgh, who took a chance on him as an undrafted player. He was close to the Rooney family, so he felt loyalty. That is his choice.

I agree it is a great deal for Pittsburgh, but Parker was willing to trade away a couple of years of FA to get some security two years early. His situation is not really the same as Deion.

SoonerPatriot said:

It's not unfair at all. By signing this contract, Parker eliminated the risk of being a flash in the pan in 2005 and the risk of being hurt in 2006.

SoonerPatriot said:

Not happening. The Steelers will remind Parker's agent that he forfeited that right when he went for the money now.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes