PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Willie on 6P SportsCenter

Status
Not open for further replies.

brisby51

Rookie
Reaction score
I just finished taping a live shot with Willie for the 6 pm SportsCenter. It is a very good interview, he seems a little dissapointed that NE didn't communicate with him.

brisby51 said:
I just finished taping a live shot with Willie for the 6 pm SportsCenter. It is a very good interview, he seems a little dissapointed that NE didn't communicate with him.
It's time for McGinest to STFU.

- By all non McGinest accounts, they did communicate with him.
- And if they didn't, doesn't he know their number ?

Mcginnist is bitter ,but not sounding Laywer Milloyish.. The team did not meet what he thinks he was worth...period

He seemed kinda out of it, it was sort of strange

I think the misconception is that no one from the Pats "contacted" him. Felger said that both BB and Kraft have talked to him this past week but a contract was never offered. As for feeling like Cleveland is a "family" Gash and Milloy said the same things about Buffalo. That family cut them too. Here they don't put on pretenses. Both Harrison and Colvin said that when they came here for a visit before signing they liked the no BS about the franchise.

Maybe he should check to see if his agent screwed it all up by lying. In any case....I am with BelichickFan...STFU ALREADY.

Everbody is saying he has class, but he is not coming off that way

I think we have to keep in mind that the meaning of phrases during free agency is not the same as the definitions printed in the dictionary. During free agency, the phrase "contacted me" really means "offered me more than anyone else".

I thought it was interesting that McGinnest called Bill Parcells after receiving the Cleveland offer -- because he had tentatively scheduled a trip to Dallas. During that converstation, Parcells told McGinnest to take Cleveland's offer -- that nobody (including the Cowboys) could match that deal.

The economics of free agency are simple. Bad franchises have to offer more because, otherwise, nobody would ever sign with them. Solid franchises shouldn't (and can't) compete with the offers made by the bad franchises. You can't be a well-managed franchise and overpay for players.

brisby51 said:
He seemed kinda out of it, it was sort of strange

It's likely the male football players equivalent of post partum depression. Everyone's excited when the baby first arrives, then they all go back to their lives and you're left home alone with a colicy 6 pounder.

Willie woke up in Cleveland this morning and saw that freakin' brown outfit tossed on the chair and he realized no more confetti for Willie. He'll be cut and gone before the Browns get to the playoffs let alone a superbowl. And the gigs (attention) on national sports shows will dwindle right along with the chances to perform on the big stage in the games of the week.

I'm sure he'll perk up when the check clears.

Wait 'til Givens realizes the Titans cut Eddie George but McNair is still on the roster. :rolleyes:

F.B.N. said:
Maybe he should check to see if his agent screwed it all up by lying. In any case....I am with BelichickFan...STFU ALREADY.

You read my mind, as I got to your post, I was having the same thoughts - STFU Willie. You took the money Willie and thats OK, now you made you bed - now go to sleep. Thanks for the memories, i will cherish them and you forever - you are yesterdays news around here however.

Let's not jump on Willie too badly

While I do believe there was communication and in fact there was an offer to restructure prior to the cut, I think its just Willie's disappointment that they didn't chase after him. Don't get done on him, he's a proud guy and we'll all forget about it shortly.

Remember him for the great things he did. 4th and goal at Indy.
3rd down sack on Manning in the playoff game to move the field goal try out so Vanderjagt missed and the many other great plays he made. Sometimes he was great just because he stayed in position.

Please don't knock him.

hwc said:
I thought it was interesting that McGinnest called Bill Parcells after receiving the Cleveland offer -- because he had tentatively scheduled a trip to Dallas. During that converstation, Parcells told McGinnest to take Cleveland's offer -- that nobody (including the Cowboys) could match that deal.

Let's hope Vinatieri takes Parcells advice too. He told him to stay in NE.

Other Translations:
I love this team and want to retire a ...
= I'd love for them to pay me more money than anybody else will now that I'm getting ready to retire

I'd really like to play for ....
= I hope if they hear that I love them that they'll want to pay me more money than anyone else will

They cut me after all I did for them =
They've given me a boatload of money already but won't pay me for past performance or for 'love' or more than I'm worth now

It's about respect, not about money = It's about money

I want to be paid what I'm worth = I want a bigger contract than anybody has ever gotten for my position

The translations go on and on

PatsRI said:
Let's hope Vinatieri takes Parcells advice too. He told him to stay in NE.

No chance.

Vinatieri is chasing the dollars. Nothing else matters to him. He'll sign with a CFL team, if they'll pay him a dollar more than the Pats and then whine about how the Pats didn't "respect him".

I hate to rag on these players, but it's the truth. Vinatieri has had ample opportunity to sign market price contracts with the Pats. He's jerked them around for four years now. He acted like Peyton Manning on his last contract and then forced the Pats to franchise tag him last year.

Last edited:
F.B.N. said:

Let the man express his opinion..he has EARNED IT...

Willie, (in case you read this board) we will miss you. But, you did do well for yourself with a good contract.

Now, please don't disgrace yourself by doing a Lawyer Milloy on TV.

aabtec said:
Let the man express his opinion..he has EARNED IT...
If he wants to talk, more power to him I guess. But it sounds like he's having a problem with the truth. And no-one has earned the right to say things which aren't true. No, I can't prove that it's not true but when everyone says the same thing other than one person, I can add that up.

p8ryts said:
While I do believe there was communication and in fact there was an offer to restructure prior to the cut, I think its just Willie's disappointment that they didn't chase after him. Don't get done on him, he's a proud guy and we'll all forget about it shortly.

Remember him for the great things he did. 4th and goal at Indy.
3rd down sack on Manning in the playoff game to move the field goal try out so Vanderjagt missed and the many other great plays he made. Sometimes he was great just because he stayed in position.

Please don't knock him.

No way would I knock his past achievments - thats just it though, his best days are in the past. We should not pay for past performance. Bob Kraft has paid this guy a ton of money through the years and he has been treated right and very much respected. There was no need for his exit remarks and I do hope he is done talking, it is not very classy stuff from a class guy. You chose to leave, thanks for the memories good luck in Cleveland. Ugh, Cleveland, Ohio.

F.B.N. said:

It's almost like these guys are blaming the Patriots that they signed with another team. You know like, "Look what you made me do..." Willie looked miserable last night and so did Ty last year during his coming out party with the Jets as did Lawyer with the Bills.

Sean Pa Patriot said:
Everbody is saying he has class, but he is not coming off that way

I think he's showed class. We don't need to slam the guy just because he is no longer with the team. When he was under contract, he never pulled any "redo my contract" BS like TO and even Seymour have done. Remember how the Pats had to pony up an extra million bucks to get RS to end his mini hold out and show up last season? :rolleyes:

#55 was a loyal Pat for ten plus years, I don't need to take a pot shot at the guy to make me feel better about the Pats.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back