PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Willie Mcginest column

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Given what they did for me as a player and a person, I can't be bitter, and I actually owe them a great deal, certainly," said McGinest, in a weekend interview that marked his longest discussion of his unemployment. "But at the end of the day, they're the ones who put me out into free agency, right? I'll never close the door [on going back to New England]. But since they cut me, they haven't called at all to see how we might be able to [construct] a contract to bring me back, and I don't see it happening. So it looks like they're moving ahead without me. And I'm moving forward, too."
Ugh.... I got a sick feeling in my stomach.

iam kinda surprised, they havent even talked.

T-ShirtDynasty said:
Ugh.... I got a sick feeling in my stomach.
It may mean it's just time to move on. Possibly with a new ILB and Vrabel going back outside with Colvin or possibly keeping Vrabel inside and going for a Julian Peterson in FA. I'm not trying to be flip about it but Belichick knows when to move on and it may just be that time. Signing or drafting a top ILB or OLBN would suddenly leave us with just Bruschi as an older LB among the starters.

That sounds conclusive, on its surface.

But Willie's words remain consistent with my hopeful theory:

that he went out to explore the world unfettered, to take soundings ...
but with a gentlemen's agreement that the Pats would match his best offer (within reason).
And that #55 would return home to Foxboro on that basis.

This does not bring a smile to my face.:(

This is no way to treat a loyal soldier. I do hope there is a misunderstanding here, this is terrible.

That sounds suspiciously like the Gentleman players way of letting the fans down easy. He's not slamming the door shut on his old team, but he's stating pretty starkly that he's moving on. I still can't accept it honestly. I just keep waiting to see the headline that he's signed on elsewhere. Ugh.

Some of you guys make me sick seems like everything BB does is okay.
Cutting Willie i can see cause of salary cap is one thing but ingnoring
him is something else.Willie had a very good year last year .I`m getting
tired of hearing we can wait yea that was great years ago this is now.
We waited last year and look at the junk we got for free agents.
Now we have 3 of our best players out there and we are doing nothing..
Oh i forgot we still have Poole

Last edited:
My absolute favorite Patriot since he was drafted by Parcells.

I know I've said this before but I can still hear Parcells BELLOWING!!!

WILLIE! WILLIE! WILLIE!

McGinest was Parcells "Gunga Din" that summer camp at Bryant.
Parcells had a tradition that his top pick was his water boy for that camp.

I never thought Willie would stay around...he had such tremendous upside I felt sure he would take the money when his time came.

But his time never came and he was one of the greatest Patriots of all time whether you put him in as a DL or LB opposite Tippet.

I hope he returns, but if not I will move on like I always have. I'll even root for him until he retires...he's my kind of player to watch and enjoy...smart, loyal, dependable etc...

So I may need to move on also. Right now Ellis Hobbs is leading my pack...but Manny Lawson, if it's him, moves right to the front of my line...I can't lose on that one...defense has always been my favorite side of the ball.

pats60 said:
Some of you guys make me sick seems like everything BB does is okay.
Cutting Willie i can see cause of salary cap is one thing but ingnoring
him is something else.Willie had a very good year last year .I`m getting
tired of hearing we can wait yea that was great years ago this is now.
We waited last year and look at the junk we got for free agents.
Now we have 3 of our best players out there and we are doing nothing..
Oh i forgot we still have Poole and Chad Brown.

So you are wasting valuable energy aon being pissed off regarding a situation you don't know the full extent of. Must be nice to have nothing else in the world to worry about.,

Listen, this is the 3rd day of free agency. I can't believe some of you are acting like the season starts this sunday. That article for Pasquerelli was from an interview that Willie conducted on Saturday. How do you know that Willie hasn't had contact with the Patriots since then? How do you know that Willie's agent wasn't told to come back to the Patriots with whatever offer Willie was considering? You don't. Neither do I. But its been how the Patriots have operated for the past 4 years.

If the Pats part ways with Willie, it will be a loss. No doubt. Particularly since he's been here for 12 years and many of us would like to see him retire as a Patriot. However, the team will move on. Whether it be through free agency or the draft. We still have a very strong core of players in the likes of Bruschi, Vrabel, Colvin, Harrison, Wilson, Hobbs, Light, Koppen, Watson, Graham, Branch, Miller, Brady, Cassel, Samuel, Gay, Dillon, Faulk, Wilfork, Warren. Look at that list of players. That is just scratching the surface. Lets reserve the doom and gloom for September if the Patriots still haven't filled the holes on this team.

Brownfan80 said:
haha nice Poteat Bongos!

:D
Thanks! At least we still have Hank! ;)

F.B.N. said:
I hope he returns, but if not I will move on like I always have. I'll even root for him until he retires...he's my kind of player to watch and enjoy...smart, loyal, dependable etc...
I very rarely actually root for players after they leave the Patriots. I usually either ignore them, hate them, or convince myself to hate them. ;) Willie will be one of those rare exceptions for me. There's just nothing I don't like about that guy, and will actually root for him too when he's not playing against the Patriots.

Willie

This article made me sick to my stomach. I don't even want to think of Willie in another uni. Maybe with Brown released that's $1mill for McGinest.

I'd be really surprised if they didn't re-sign Willie. Willie has not shown signs of slowing down and he knows the system. BB said he was supposed to be a 'role player' this year and his role ended up being to play every down.

We know BB doesn't draft LB's (generally) and look at how even experienced LB's (Brown and Beisel) can struggle in the system. Klecko's had more playing time at full back than he has at LB.

I hate the off-season.

Hoodie said:
This article made me sick to my stomach. I don't even want to think of Willie in another uni. Maybe with Brown released that's $1mill for McGinest.

I'd be really surprised if they didn't re-sign Willie. Willie has not shown signs of slowing down and he knows the system. BB said he was supposed to be a 'role player' this year and his role ended up being to play every down.

We know BB doesn't draft LB's (generally) and look at how even experienced LB's (Brown and Beisel) can struggle in the system. Klecko's had more playing time at full back than he has at LB.

I hate the off-season.

Well, I don't know. Willie's play to date has been awesome, and I will never ever doubt that, however will it be in the next couple years?? I trust BB and EA, they have been around, and they know value. I have been a fan of Wiliie's his whole career and I wish him success wherever he goes and in whatever he does. He put a lot into this organization and is it any wonder the fans love him so much. I don't know. I think the right call was made. Sorry guys...if he does come back, i'll be happy tho... :D

If this article is true and we haven't even so much as contacted him about bringing him back, this will go down as the first move by this organization that just makes me absolutely sick. I understood releasing Milloy, I understood releasing Law, hell I even understand not re-signing Vinatieri but this is just ridiculous. Sure, maybe he will want more than we are willing to give him, but why in the hell would you not at least ask?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back