Willie goes down with Class.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JR4

In the Starting Line-up
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
On the Patriots and not using their salary cap room, Willie said
“You know, I’m not sure. I’m not on the Board of Directors. I don’t know. Like I said before, I had good years there. I’m not bitter at all. At the end of the day, you can say whatever you want to say –- it’s a business. They choose to make the decisions they did. I was happy, I got a call from [owner Robert] Kraft congratulating me. He knows I’m coming to a good organization, a good place, a good coach. I let it be how it is. That’s not my style. I don’t really
go down like that.
I’m not going to air out what’s going on over there in New England. "
Makes you wonder, what is going with the Patriots that Willie would
not talk about.

Going to really miss you Willie.

full article:
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

I'm just happy that Willie can leave with so much more class then many of the posters on this board!! :D No seriously, he's a real upstanding member of society and it was a pleasure to have him as a member of the Patriots for such a long time.

Last edited:
JR4 said:
Makes you wonder, what is going with the Patriots that Willie would not talk about.

I honestly think you may be reading into that a bit. I think that's just a quirky turn of phrase. I think he just means, whatever's going on over there - putting no judgment on it - isn't his business to comment on. He's just going to focus on himself and be positive. I could be wrong, but that's my take.

Well, I can tell you "what is going on there" - it's that they cut him and he is upset. He was a dedicated, loyaly, worthy employee and he feels like they just tossed him aside and they did. That is "what is going on there" - this is the way this team operates like it or not; Milloy, Law, and now McGinnest. Some of the most storied and beloved Pats ever have been cut, why is Willie any different.

I am sure that one day Tom Brady will be cut. Mark my words!

So, if your a fan, and I certainly am, you just settle in and let it all unfold around you.

Willie you will be missed, oh well!

Last edited:
Adios Willie, one of my all time favorites. A class act and a great performer, it will be very strange seeing him in another uniform. We all move on now and no one knows that better than Willie, he has inked a nice pre-retirement payday and I hope we can find a player at his position with half the ability and class he has, because no one can actually replace him.

It's refreshing to have somebody leave, and show class. That didn't happen with guys like Milloy or Woody, if you recall.

Way to go Willie!!

Hold on to your 55's

JR4 said:
On the Patriots and not using their salary cap room, Willie said

Makes you wonder, what is going with the Patriots that Willie would
not talk about.

Going to really miss you Willie.

full article:
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

Hold on to your Willie Mac jerseys because he will retire as a Pat AND enter the HOF as a Pat. Another non-Pat I'll be rooting for.

i will miss Willie Mc Ginest.
no doubt.
one of the best ever Patriots player.

thks Willie for what you have done with our franchise !

good luck !

we will never forget you !

we will never forget # 55 !

One of the greatest to ever where a Patriot Jersey.

He is in the same class as Julius Adams!

Unfortunately he wasn't allowed to retire here. For the life of me I can't figure it out.

I used to think it was cap space why a player like Willie wouldn't retire a Pat. But they have 20 million in space and didn't even call him to discuss an offer. So cap space had zero to do with it.

I love this team and have followed it since the 70's. I am forever greatfull to Kraft and BB. But for today and the next few weeks, I am not fond of them. I think this is total BS.

Drewwho said:
Well, I can tell you "what is going on there" - it's that they cut him and he is upset. He was a dedicated, loyaly, worthy employee and he feels like they just tossed him aside and they did. That is "what is going on there" - this is the way this team operates like it or not; Milloy, Law, and now McGinnest. Some of the most storied and beloved Pats ever have been cut, why is Willie any different.

I am sure that one day Tom Brady will be cut. Mark my words!

So, if your a fan, and I certainly am, you just settle in and let it all unfold around you.

Willie you will be missed, oh well!

How can you put Milloy and Law in the same group as Willie?

Lawyer and Ty have always been Me type players Willie has never been about the money.

Milloy got tampered with by Washington, so he made sure that the Pats would cut him or pay him and Ty new he was going to get cut or have to restructure the "dummy" year on his contract the day he signed it, Willie did as well!

Was Milloy not the right move? What has he done since he left that makes you think we should have paid him?

Ty would have helped last year and he has another season or two left before he moves to safety, but he wasn't worth 12 mil.

Willie is near the end of his career with maybe one more season as a starter. The Patriots don't hold on to people because of the emotional attachment, if they did we would be old as hell. The secondary is much younger our D-line is one of the best in the business and one of the youngest, our TE's are among the youngest and the most Dynamic in the NFL and our O-line got a lot younger last year. The only positions that are old on the team are the LB's and RB's, which I think we all expect will be high priority areas in the draft along with WR, at this point.

So I ask you, should the Pats hold onto to people until they prove they can't play anymore? Should they let those "special" patriots that we all feel make the team what it is stick around as long as they want taking up cap space and a roster spot even though they are washed up?

Willie is a great person, a great teammate and leader, he has been one of my favorite players on the team since he got drafted. But the pats need to get younger at the LB position not older and 4 mil could go along way towards signing or trading for a younger LB, hopefully an inside one.

Last edited:
Actually, I've been surprised that Willie hasn't been more classy.

Making an open ended statement like "I’m not going to air out what’s going on over there in New England." isn't classy.

Saying the team hadn't contacted you when Belichick called the day you were released and the team stayed in contact during the week (maybe not with him personally but his agent) isn't classy.

Willie isn't taking the high road here, IMO.

Drewwho said:
Well, I can tell you "what is going on there" - it's that they cut him and he is upset. He was a dedicated, loyaly, worthy employee and he feels like they just tossed him aside and they did.
We need to deal with it or not be football fans. It is what it is. He'll be 35 in December and they have lots of bigger issue FA coming up. I was hoping the new CBA would let teams only count 75% or so of a 10 (or whatever) year veteran's salary against the cap if they stay with their team to stop this from happening.

BelichickFan said:
Actually, I've been surprised that Willie hasn't been more classy.

Making an open ended statement like "I’m not going to air out what’s going on over there in New England." isn't classy.

Saying the team hadn't contacted you when Belichick called the day you were released and the team stayed in contact during the week (maybe not with him personally but his agent) isn't classy.

Willie isn't taking the high road here, IMO.

Blasphemy :nono: Blasphemy :nono: Blasphemy :nono: Blasphemy

So ......................... BaaaaaaaaaaD ...... How dare you! :(

JR4 said:

Blasphemy :nono: Blasphemy :nono: Blasphemy :nono: Blasphemy

So ......................... BaaaaaaaaaaD ...... How dare you! :(
Well I loved Willie as much as the rest of you. And I'm not trying to blast a guy on the way out. But the fact of the matter is, the way I read it, he may not been taking the low road but he surely isn't taking the high road out of town.

Why say "I’m not going to air out what’s going on over there in New England." which clearly sayd there's something bad going on to air out.

Bad Willie, bad.

BelichickFan said:
Well I loved Willie as much as the rest of you. And I'm not trying to blast a guy on the way out. But the fact of the matter is, the way I read it, he may not been taking the low road but he surely isn't taking the high road out of town.

Why say "I’m not going to air out what’s going on over there in New England." which clearly sayd there's something bad going on to air out.

Bad Willie, bad.

I know BF, I was half kidding and my last icon was suppose to be :)

He may have handled th question better but I really doubt it was
done to take shot at the PATs. It was in response to a question
and at the moment that's how it came out as he probably percieved the
reporter was baiting him.

Very sad to see #55 go. Thanks Big Willie!

I am trully saddened by this. Willie was not only a great player but a leader in that locker room. Now you must replace him on the field (which might not be that hard to do. Might not be), but the toughest part to replace will be his leadership. That my friends will be very hard to do.

Thanks Big Willie for the great memories.

In Bill I trust Sometimes.

cdillon28 said:
I am trully saddened by this. Willie was not only a great player but a leader in that locker room. Now you must replace him on the field (which might not be that hard to do. Might not be), but the toughest part to replace will be his leadership. That my friends will be very hard to do.
Yeah, but there's no excuses not to. There are more than enough veterans including Seymour, Bruschi, Varabel and hopefully Harrison. Will McGinest's leadership need to be replaced ? Yes. But if it's not, shame on that list of veterans for not getting it done.

sarge said:
Unfortunately he wasn't allowed to retire here. For the life of me I can't figure it out.

Probably because the Patriots don't make player personnel decisions based on sentiment?

Obviously, they decided that, at his age, he wasn't going to be worth the money he was asking for. It's THAT simple. You don't make unsound business decisions because you have an emotional attachment to a player.

sarge said:

I used to think it was cap space why a player like Willie wouldn't retire a Pat. But they have 20 million in space and didn't even call him to discuss an offer. So cap space had zero to do with it.
Jeez, sarge, you know better than this.

- He was allowed to retire in NE, he chose to go elsewhere for more money.
- They did call him, Belichick called him the day they released him.
- They did talk to his agent about an offer, they typically wouldn't talk to the player.

It's all about money and McGinest went for it. Not saying I blame him but don't blame the Patriots. Just because they have cap money doesn't mean they should overspent. They have bigger fish to fry like Seymour, Branch, Koppen, et al, coming up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots