PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Willie Andrews arrested on marijuana possession

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Willie Andrews Aressted on marijuana possession

If I was a New England Patriot, I'd be drinking myself ******ed right now. I understand the loss from sports at other levels; I can only imagine that amplified a hundred times. Heck, I want to drink myself stupid as a fan.

Didn't the Pats have a drug-related scandal after SB XX (1986)? The sent us on a downward spiral that I just can't see happening now.

Oh come on. Let the guy smoke his freakin' weed. The season is over.

Jeez, people, get a life.

Agree!! C'mon. too funny...

I dont care if the guy smokes weed but as a person in a high profile position you should know not to smoke weed while driving without a license in an unregistered vehicle. a guy like that is nothing but problems waiting to happen and PR problems so you have to ask in a cold way is it worth having him on the team is these problems will occur and the answer is No!

Give him one more chance.

Or it might be a favor to cut him now. He'll latch on with another team.

I love Spann's temperament. It's a pity that he evidently doesn't have Andrews' ability.

I thought you had 24 hours to produce it? I always interpreted driving without a license to mean that he never renewed it and it is expired. I guess I'm wrong.

First off, the article says nothing about driving without a license.

Secondly, my court date was set for 1 1/2 months after I was stopped for driving without a seatbelt.

And driving without a license means you don't have one on your person. You have to have it with you.

Last edited:

You receive a ticket for driving without a license. If you do not produce it within 48 hours, the ticket sticks. If you produce, it you're fine. That's the way it works in New York, at least.

Of course, if you're not driving with your license, or in possession of marijuana for that matter, it's not like SWAT will surround your car at the end of your driveway. You have to do something for the police to pull you over, and then make the discovery.

In this case, let's look at the facts:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2008/02/patriots_defens.html

The investigation into Andrews was triggered by an anonymous call to Lowell Police at 9:30 a.m. today, reporting that there was a Ford Crown Victoria with tinted windows in the neighborhood that could be involved in drug activity, Lowell Police Deputy Superintendent Bob DeMoura said in a telephone interview.

Responding officers spotted the car, discovered that it was not properly registered, and pulled it over as it was heading away from the neighborhood, he said. “The officers approached the driver and they could smell what they believed was marijuana,’’ DeMoura said. The driver, identified by police as Willie Andrews of Mansfield, was charged with marijuana possession and operating an unregistered car.

DeMoura said the incident occurred in the Lowell neighborhood known as the Acre, but he said it was not a section of the city where drug activity is prevalent. “It’s not an area where we are frequently sending people over to make drug arrests,’’ he said.

I'm sorry, but I don't call the PD whenever there is a car with tinted windows in my neighborhood. Whoever made the call obviously had good reason to suspect drug activity was going on.

Let's make no mistake about it: Andrews was stupid to put himself in such a position.

Of course, if you're not driving with your license, or in possession of marijuana for that matter, it's not like SWAT will surround your car at the end of your driveway. You have to do something for the police to pull you over, and then make the discovery.

In this case, let's look at the facts:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2008/02/patriots_defens.html

I'm sorry, but I don't call the PD whenever there is a car with tinted windows in my neighborhood. Whoever made the call obviously had good reason to suspect drug activity was going on.

Let's make no mistake about it: Andrews was stupid to put himself in such a position.

Driving while black.

That's what it sounds like to me.

Unfortunately...it's worse WCVB reported that he is being charged with intent to distribute...Had $6,800 with him....and 3 bags of grass with 2-3 oz in each...NOT looking good...And he's a fave of mine..maybe he HAS a drug issue and needs help....sad.sad VERY sad.....http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/15222606/detail.html

Last edited:

Willie ... see you later. Need counseling ... call Ricky.

Unfortunately...it's worse WCVB reported that he is being charged with intent to distribute...Had $6,800 with him....and 3 bags of grass with 2-3 oz in each...NOT looking good...And he's a fave of mine..maybe he HAS a drug issue and needs help....sad.sad VERY sad.....http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/15222606/detail.html

How is that intent?

7 oz and a lot of cash makes him a dealer?

You've just described half the NFL.

How is that intent?

7 oz and a lot of cash makes him a dealer?

You've just described half the NFL.
Under MA Drug Laws, there is there is no specific quantity of drugs that qualifies for an intent to distribute charge. You can be charged with intent to distribute in Massachusetts depending on very vague circumstances of the drug arrest. You can be charged with distribution depending on how the drugs are packaged, even if there is no other evidence that you intended to sell drugs. Intent to distribute may be charged based on the number of individual packages of drugs, the presence of baggies or twist ties, presence of a scale, placement of drugs near a phone or phone list, or nearly anything that the police thing that a jury might conceivably conclude that the drugs were for sale. Or if you are growing pot/marijuana in sufficient quantities, they may charge you with intent to distribute, or trafficking.
FROM http://www.masscriminaldefense.com/dealing.htm

OK, now I read the article.

Let's get the facts straight here.

He was not smoking marijuana. He was in possession of it.

It also doesn't say he didn't have a license.

Excellent point. Maybe he was planning to deal it.

Christ, who cares. I'm so low after Sunday I need a zoloft to get to despondent. Does anybody really think a Pats fan has the excess negative energy to give a crap?

Driving while black.

That's what it sounds like to me.

Oh, c'mon. It's sickening how far we will go to defend him.

He was caught with an illegal substance diving illegally. He put himself in that position. Not anyone else.

I don't think driving while black an arrestable defense in Lowell. Sounds like he was set up. Probably by whomever sold him his stuff. Maybe a disgruntled fan who bet the over. $6800 isn't a lot to have on you when you likely received your $40K superbowl check on your way out of the desert. That said, they probably have enough on him to force a plea to simple posession, and he's likely done here as a result.

Just heard this on Channel 5...busted for marijuana..apparently stopped at a traffic light..no license...NOT good...It's already starting....no biggie though...

That's what I was basing the no license off of. I guess Channel 5 messed up at Noon cause there is no sign anywhere that it's in the charges. Maybe he was able to produce it so they dropped it.

Oh, c'mon. It's sickening how far we will go to defend him.

He was caught with an illegal substance diving illegally. He put himself in that position. Not anyone else.

Sigh. Did you read the article?

Someone saw a nice car driving around the neighborhood.

so they called the police.

Jeez, do you think he was waving the drugs out his window at all the neighbors? Please.

Someone saw a nice car driving around the neighborhood.

so they called the police.

Jeez, do you think he was waving the drugs out his window at all the neighbors? Please.

So, again, it's whoever called's fault that Andrews was doing something illegal in public? Please. He could have gotten pulled over for speeding or running a red light and the same would be the case. He put himself in that position, not anybody else.

Someone saw a nice car driving around the neighborhood. so they called the police.Jeez, do you think he was waving the drugs out his window at all the neighbors? Please.

Upstater1: Are you Al Sharpton? Are you claiming that this was a racist arrest? Were the drugs planted there by the police?

That's what I was basing the no license off of. I guess Channel 5 messed up at Noon cause there is no sign anywhere that it's in the charges. Maybe he was able to produce it so they dropped it.
I think somehow...no license somehow was really no registration....but..theer will be more soon I know..

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes