Williamson Grades Patriots Off-Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Williamson Grades Patriots Off-Season
By: Derek Havens

Matt Williamson of ESPN's Scouts Inc., posted his 2011 AFC Post-lockout Grades and offered his analysis on the conference teams respective moves. Here is his take on the ...

I don't have ESPN Insider. Can someone plz post the content by copy and pasting:)

I know I am not alone thnx:D

From the linked article:

As for Ochocinco, I just don’t love the fit. Can he act as the Randy Moss in this offense and stretch the field deep? I have my doubts. Is he physical, tough, good after the catch or going over the middle? Not really. That doesn’t seem to me what the Patriots are looking for from their pass-catchers at any position.

While I agree Ochocinco wasn't brought here to replicate Moss' skillset, I thought his entire game was being tough and willing to go over the middle?

Granted, I can't be bothered to watch many/any Bengal's games, so feel free to disabuse me of this if I'm wrong.

I do think this whole "deep threat" thing is overrated. The Pats do not need a deep threat. They needed a guy who is capable of going deep from time to time to keep opposing defenses honest.

What the Jets did last year in the playoffs was to force everything to the center of the field (OchoCinco remedies that because he is a legitimate outside WR) and played everyone shallow because they didn't respect the deep pass at all. Even if OchoCinco can't catch 3-5 deep passes a game, he is capable to get one or two. That means most teams will have to play at least one safety deep in zone coverage negating the Jets' strategy.

The entire post on the Patriots is quoted in the linked article.

I was expecting the grade of a B+ to be in bold. I skimmed it already and just went back to find the grade good article and grade ty

The ironic thing is here is what Scout Inc wrote about him before last season:

After a disappointing 2008 season, Ochocinco bounced back with excellent production in 2009. He has a good combination of size, deceptive strength and athleticism. He is very fluid, runs crisp routes at all levels and was able to stretch the field more effectively in 09. Ochocinco can make the acrobatic catch and is sure-handed, but he offers little as a blocker and isn't great after the catch. It also must be noted that his antics on and off the field can be very disruptive and he may not be a team player. There is no denying how dangerous Ochocinco is when the conditions around him are right and it's likely he will continue to be productive for the Bengals in 2010.

Chad Ochocinco Scouting Report - New England Patriots - ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots