PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

William Moore targeted by Patriots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VJCPatriot

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I've been down on Moore lately. His senior season was not impressive. He looked like a JAG at the senior bowl. However by all accounts he had an excellent pro day where he ran a 4.4 40 and the Patriots are apparently interested. Hmmmm? Is this a guy who BB unexpectedly picks up that has slid down the radar?

"Scott Wright: It’s obviously still early but is there one or two teams in particular that you’ve noticed paying more attention to you than others? Is there a specific team that you think you’d fit in well with?

William Moore: Yes, the Eagles, Patriots, and Saints."

Draft Countdown - William Moore Interview

Last edited:
I've been down on Moore lately. His senior season was not impressive. He looked like a JAG at the senior bowl. However by all accounts he had an excellent pro day where he ran a 4.4 40 and the Patriots are apparently interested. Hmmmm? Is this a guy who BB unexpectedly picks up that has slid down the radar?

"Scott Wright: It’s obviously still early but is there one or two teams in particular that you’ve noticed paying more attention to you than others? Is there a specific team that you think you’d fit in well with?

William Moore: Yes, the Eagles, Patriots, and Saints."

Draft Countdown - William Moore Interview
The obvious question here is "which question did he answer?"

Moore looked reasonably decent at the combine, and apparently had a very good combine. We already know his ceiling, which is the 2007 version of William Moore, and his floor, which is the 2008 version.

I think Moore would be a reasonable option in the 2nd half of round 2. I'm not sure I would bite earlier than that. If only one could combine Louis Delmas' physical style and cover ability with William Moore's size. Then we wouldn't be debating who to take at #23.

Belichick probably asked that we looked at your junior tapes and targeted you as a guy to follow in his senior year. You were god-awful. Let's look at the tapes. What were you thinking there? Are you the William Moore of 07? Or, the one who had senioritis last fall? One workout in shorts doesn't erase those bad game tapes. I'll pass.

I have Moore on my Day 1 Board, along with Chung, Delmas and Johnson. Other would add some of the corners who may end up being safeties.

I have Moore on my Day 1 Board, along with Chung, Delmas and Johnson. Other would add some of the corners who may end up being safeties.

I've been trying to play catch-up on this guy. I think the problem is projections. Safety and CB still feel like bigger needs at #23.

Now if we package two lower #2's and jump into the first, it goes to LB, and I still think it will be someone else.

Are there specific areas of decline in 2008 that could be trends? What are the significant alarm bells?

I've been trying to play catch-up on this guy. I think the problem is projections. Safety and CB still feel like bigger needs at #23.

Now if we package two lower #2's and jump into the first, it goes to LB, and I still think it will be someone else.

Are there specific areas of decline in 2008 that could be trends? What are the significant alarm bells?
While some are alarmed by the secondary, it's worth noting that is was a very young secondary - youth has energy and endurance, but experience is a lumpy road. It will still be a young secondary in 2009, Shawn Springs or no, which leads to the other area of decline - QB pressure.

The Linebacker corps was a mix of wisdom and inexperience too, and it got more inexperienced as injuries took their toll. We've seen NE trade one of the more experienced OLBs. The other experienced OLB is only a couple years younger and might be moved inside based on team needs. Speed and/or power off the edge will help the secondary, but it's no good if it gives up the run and can't help in coverage. At the moment Bruschi is a question mark physically to produce at a high level, Thomas is probably good to go. Tully Banta-Cain becomes the next most experienced LB and he is a question mark after his time in SF. Woods looks to be penciled in as one starter across from Thomas. Mayo is locked in inside, we won't know if Guyton is ready to start, or at least carry the majority of the reps until preseason. There is no short term answer in the draft, there is a possible patch - drafting LB Clint Sintim who is an experienced 3-4 OLB in a similar system - but that's not a sure thing either.

With all that said, I'm not interested in going for the safest pick at #23, that's a player whom we hope benefits NE for many years. If the safest pick isn't a sure thing, then go for the highest ceiling - within reason, you want a prospect who at least demonstrates the work ethic and love of the game to seek to excell.

Both Linebacker and the Secondary are in transition, buckle up and enjoy the ride. Hope that helps.

Perhaps we should be asking this question:
WHICH CHOICE WILL WE ME MOST SATISFIED WITH GOING INTO THE 2011 SEASON?
That would be the 3rd year of a 5 year rookie contract.

This may not be the patch for the developing secondary or even for the developing linebacker corps who as you say we may be very tempted to want to draft.

While some are alarmed by the secondary, it's worth noting that is was a very young secondary - youth has energy and endurance, but experience is a lumpy road. It will still be a young secondary in 2009, Shawn Springs or no, which leads to the other area of decline - QB pressure.

The Linebacker corps was a mix of wisdom and inexperience too, and it got more inexperienced as injuries took their toll. We've seen NE trade one of the more experienced OLBs. The other experienced OLB is only a couple years younger and might be moved inside based on team needs. Speed and/or power off the edge will help the secondary, but it's no good if it gives up the run and can't help in coverage. At the moment Bruschi is a question mark physically to produce at a high level, Thomas is probably good to go. Tully Banta-Cain becomes the next most experienced LB and he is a question mark after his time in SF. Woods looks to be penciled in as one starter across from Thomas. Mayo is locked in inside, we won't know if Guyton is ready to start, or at least carry the majority of the reps until preseason. There is no short term answer in the draft, there is a possible patch - drafting LB Clint Sintim who is an experienced 3-4 OLB in a similar system - but that's not a sure thing either.

With all that said, I'm not interested in going for the safest pick at #23, that's a player whom we hope benefits NE for many years. If the safest pick isn't a sure thing, then go for the highest ceiling - within reason, you want a prospect who at least demonstrates the work ethic and love of the game to seek to excell.

Both Linebacker and the Secondary are in transition, buckle up and enjoy the ride. Hope that helps.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Remember who the Pats starting corners were in SB 39? Randall Gay and Asante Samuel. And, that was before Samuel decided to learn how to catch the ball, and be consistent. Yes the secondary still needs help, especially at safety. However, we need to apply more pressure to the qb, which will help the back four out tremendously.

This may not be the patch for the developing secondary or even for the developing linebacker corps who as you say we may be very tempted to want to draft.
Get your thread started, it's a fair question to ask ourselves.

I'm not too concerned by a "young" secondary. What I am concerned about is James Sanders playing every down of every game. I was really hoping for an upgrade over Sanders this year and hopefully, one will still come early in the draft. Specifically, I'd hope to see Sanders playing a more in-the-box role this year and get a coverage safety in the draft - someone who can actually takes good angles and can make a play on the ball once in a while.

All that said, I'm not sold on Moore and not at all familiar with Delmar. However, I'd love to see Rashad Johnson suiting up for the Pats evens as early as pick 34.

Put differently, which pick delivers the highest level of production over the 5 years.

Example of a career path for a very good 1st rounder
2009 - red shirt, some playing time as top backup and special teams (ST depends on position)
2010 - in rotation
2011 - starter
2012 - starter
2013 - starter, pro bowl consideration

That is a hell of a lot of production for the money. If this is directed a a high price position then there is even more value. Although thinking about it, most positions are very expensive, heck even guards make great money these days. Other than Safety, Kicker, Punter, FB, TE all positions rake when they hit free agency.

All of this pie in the sky value thinking is great but the otherside of me wants to win now. The flip side is "Who can give us the biggest bang for the buck in yeasr 1 &2 so we can win a couple more Superbowls?"

However, I'd love to see Rashad Johnson suiting up for the Pats evens as early as pick 34.

If 3-4 defense are built from the middle out (NT, ILB, ILB, SS, FS), then we may need a little more beef at one of the safety positions. Niether Johnson nor Merriweather are the biggest of guys. Although Johnson's ball skills and playmaking ability are second to none at the safety position in this draft.

Some new news on William Moore:

nationalfootballpost.com/2009/03/scouts-eye-series-pro-day-report-2/

However, the top SS on my board, William Moore, is starting to create some buzz. Moore (6-0, 221) clocked a 4.49 in his second 40 attempt, impressive for a 220-plus-pound defender. He looked fluid during position drills and appears more than capable of being efficient in space at the next level. He also seems to healing from injuries that took away some of his effectiveness last season and returning to the form that made him one of the nation’s top prospects as a junior.

Hope the Pats were there...given the number of first day picks we have, it makes sense to pick up a prospect like Moore who has been dropping down the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes