Welcome to PatsFans.com

William F. Buckley Jr, The Waning of the GOP

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, May 1, 2007.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +238 / 8 / -26

Always considered Buckley as one of the most steadfast GOP personage, he is predicting the demise of his beloved party over the Iraq fiasco.. interesting take.. I am sure what he says will be minimized or this is just another left wing media thing.. but he is certainly brighter than most.

http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=MWZjMDBlZDg2MDlmMDM4MmE1MGFmNjlkOTE5OWVkOTc=

The political problem of the Bush administration is grave, possibly beyond the point of rescue. The opinion polls are savagely decisive on the Iraq question. About 60 percent of Americans wish the war ended — wish at least a timetable for orderly withdrawal. What is going on in Congress is in the nature of accompaniment. The vote in Congress is simply another salient in the war against war in Iraq. Republican forces, with a couple of exceptions, held fast against the Democrats’ attempt to force Bush out of Iraq even if it required fiddling with the Constitution. President Bush will of course veto the bill, but its impact is critically important in the consolidation of public opinion. It can now accurately be said that the legislature, which writes the people’s laws, opposes the war.

Meanwhile, George Tenet, former head of the CIA, has just published a book which seems to demonstrate that there was one part ignorance, one part bullheadedness, in the high-level discussions before war became policy. Mr. Tenet at least appears to demonstrate that there was nothing in the nature of a genuine debate on the question. What he succeeded in doing was aborting a speech by Vice President Cheney which alleged a Saddam/al Qaeda relationship which had not in fact been established.

General Petraeus is a wonderfully commanding figure. But if the enemy is in the nature of a disease, he cannot win against it. Students of politics ask then the derivative question: How can the Republican party, headed by a president determined on a war he can’t see an end to, attract the support of a majority of the voters? General Petraeus, in his Pentagon briefing on April 26, reported persuasively that there has been progress, but cautioned, “I want to be very clear that there is vastly more work to be done across the board and in many areas, and again I note that we are really just getting started with the new effort.”

The general makes it a point to steer away from the political implications of the struggle, but this cannot be done in the wider arena. There are grounds for wondering whether the Republican party will survive this dilemma.
  2. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

As this debacle continues, the R Party wilsink deeper into the American conscience as being connected to this. It is a nightmare that includes not only the deaths of thousands of American Soldiers, but tens of thousands of Iraqi civilians, hundreds of billions of dollars, but worst of all, the repeat of the loss of trust that occurred because of Watergate - only worse. This will take decades to repair because of all the negative factors combined springing from this - the ultimate political deceipt.
  3. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

All it will take is 2 years of a Clinton presidency. Someday you will learn these things are cyclical and, in today's day and age, the cycles are coming more fast and more furious than at any other time in our nation's history.

If Hillary wins in 2008, then 2010 will be another 1994.
  4. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I'll agree with you on Hillary. I have a hard time believing tha DNC will permit her candidacy to go beyond the convention, because if she does, they lose.

It's for that reason alone that I believe this country will elect a good black man before they'll go for a screeching brich on wheels. I can already sense Obama's drift to the center.

I understand the cyclical nature of things and how compressed they're getting. I remember how long the cynicism with government is still reverberating from Nixon to this day. Don't get me wrong, Nixon did a lot of good and great things for his country, but the betrayal of Watergate still stings today. The election of Reagan was part of the normal cycle, but Reagan still had to govern alongside a Democratic Congress and Tip O'Niel. The class and respectfulness those two had for each other enabled Reagan to thrive during his presidency. Reagan knew how to GOVERN without being stubborn to a fault (Contras and dementia aside) There is none of that this time around.
  5. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

That was a well written statement which makes sense, was non-partisan, and I agree with what you have written. The only question remains is what have you done with the real WPF and how much ransom are you trying to get from his family..?
    Last edited: May 1, 2007
  6. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

He's on vacation this week. I'm his pleasant, well-balanced centrist friend that lives in his head filling in for him, why?
  7. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +362 / 4 / -2

Coke or Pepsi ensures that niether party will need decades to overcome anything negative. One will destroy itself in some capacity and thus permit the other to safe face. A two party system ensures that, which sucks for Joe Taxpayer in the long run. Niether party has to be accountable for it's bad deeds, as their really isn't any other alternative choice. It's sad really.
  8. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +362 / 4 / -2

Have you seen the most recent poll? Obama is gaining, and gaining fast. I'd vote for him, although I'm not sure what his positions truly are, or who is competition is, but I'm totally open to him as a candidate.