PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Willhite's TD saving tackle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATSNUTme

Paranoid Homer ex-moderator
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I saw it in real time and on several replays. This kid deserves kudo's for his great hustle and effort. He saved a TD on that which ended up being a 4 point difference. It was an amazing play that has not really been mentioned by the media.

I know that he probably made other mistakes out there. He is a rookie. But if he can progress as a player, and combine that kind of hustle and intensity he could be very good

Was that the one where Wilhite leaped over another defender to tackle Avery as he spun out of what looked like a sure tackle after a long pass? That was a great reaction play.

I said in another thread that in a short time the young DB's picked up their play in yesterday's game once pressed into service. I loved how 3-4 of them all turned and read Bulger's last pass, and then bolted over to help O'Neal pick it off. They showed smarts and speed.

The CBs yesterday reminded me of years past when a starter would go down and we would plug an unknown into their role and they would be solid. There were a few plays where we had essentially three rookies (Wheatley, Wilhite, and Richardson if you count him) out there as our three corners in a nickel, and we held our own.

I don't think we could go the whole season with that setup, but it's nice to know that they are capable of stepping in, and may bode well for the future if they progress.

He looks like the best rookie DB out there. He was overshadowed by Cason at Auburn which may be why he fell down in the draft. Glad to see a late round pick panning out.

Was that the one where Wilhite leaped over another defender to tackle Avery as he spun out of what looked like a sure tackle after a long pass? That was a great reaction play.

I said in another thread that in a short time the young DB's picked up their play in yesterday's game once pressed into service. I loved how 3-4 of them all turned and read Bulger's last pass, and then bolted over to help O'Neal pick it off. They showed smarts and speed.

That was the one. It should be noted, thought, that Wilhite was the one that Avery beat initially to make the reception. Wilhite showed a lot of hustle by not giving up on the play.

He looks like the best rookie DB out there. He was overshadowed by Cason at Auburn which may be why he fell down in the draft. Glad to see a late round pick panning out.

Cason? Wasn't he at Arizona? Or is there a different Cason?

Cason? Wasn't he at Arizona? Or is there a different Cason?

Cason was at Arizona. Patrick Lee was the CB who played opposite Wilhite at Auburn.

That was the one. It should be noted, thought, that Wilhite was the one that Avery beat initially to make the reception. Wilhite showed a lot of hustle by not giving up on the play.

Exactly; he rebounded nicely to make that tackle which says a lot about him right there. He was my favorite signing besides Mayo:D I wish I could find his mini camp interview where he talked a bit about his background and what it meant to be in NE. I just remember thinking he sounded like a perfect pick.

Good job by the rookies yesterday:)

I've given a vote of confidence to the three youngsters in other threads and do so again:

Richardson has been solid since they brought him up from the Practice Squad for Denver and listed Wheatley inactive for the Denver game. Very encouraging.

Wilhite has been the rookie who mosts reminds me of Asante Samuel's rookie season as the the Nickelback. Also very encouraging.

Wheatley hasn't been bad in my opinion, I wish I knew what factored into his inactive role against Denver (he does have an injury history), but replacing Hobbs against St. Louis resulted in no decrease in production from the defense. I think he'll work past whatever issues has him behind the other two and remain competitive going forward.

Good kids, the reloading process seems to be working okay.

I've liked Wilhite since the 4th preseason game. The kid played with an aggressive style and he's a good tackler. He seems to be picking things up a lot faster than Wheatley. However, I've also noticed that the Pats are rotating O'Neal and Wheatley lately. It's not ideal, but I like it. They are easing the rookie into that role. I will also give my boy Ellis Hobbs some props too. He has played much better this year. It sucks that we've lost so many veterans to injury, but it has been a lot of fun watching these young guys grow up on the field in their place. :)

I thought that the tackle in question was made by Richardson, are we sure it was Wilhite?

I thought that all three Richardson, Wilhite, and Wheatley played well. I thought that Merriweather was very good. Sanders is still getting lost out there sometimes, the 70 yd TD was just plain BAD!

But clearly this secondary is going to get tested Sunday night, let's withhold judgement until then.

Belichick, Pioli, and Capers attended the pro day at Auburn to

watch Patrick Lee and thought that Wilhite was the better

player.

I thought that the tackle in question was made by Richardson, are we sure it was Wilhite?

I thought that all three Richardson, Wilhite, and Wheatley played well. I thought that Merriweather was very good. Sanders is still getting lost out there sometimes, the 70 yd TD was just plain BAD!

But clearly this secondary is going to get tested Sunday night, let's withhold judgement until then.

Absolutley, positively made by Willhite #24. And I don't think it was he who was beat on the play, I think it was O'Neal. But regardless, that was a really good play and most players would have not flew over another player to make it.

Last edited:
Sanders is still getting lost out there sometimes, the 70 yd TD was just plain BAD!
There was a mitigating factor in his defense - he left Hobbs alone with the rookie WR and was shadowing "his" rookie CB (Wilhite) who was running with Tory Holt over the middle. Hard to fault James for picking the rook and the crafty old vet combo over Hobbs on a rook.

Ellis just didn't get a strong jam on Avery and found out about the kid's speed the hard way. James did overrun the play when he came over, but both he and Hobbs got fooled by some unexpected speed - he messed up, Hobbs messed up, and St. Louis showed they "had" brought more than a knife to a gun fight. Fun game to watch.

Agreed. jmho but Rodney's missed.

Here's a pick of Wilhite making a tackle. I don't think it's the one we're talking about, but nice picture.

ImgDyn.cfm

I kept wondering when the Rams would take advantage of our injury depleted secondary once our guys started going down, but it never happened. If I recall, this is what made the 2003 team so good, the injuries forcing young players/rookies to rise and shine, and then mixing the veteran play/leadership back into the mix when those available to return did return late in the season.

Cason was at Arizona. Patrick Lee was the CB who played opposite Wilhite at Auburn.

Ah yes, good point. Whilite was behind Lee and David Irons the year before. He's coming out now with all the injuries to the secondary.

great heads up diving TD saving tackle.

if I remember correct he had a few nice STs plays also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots