Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Will You Cheer or Boo Adam Vinatieri When he returns as a Colt on 11/5/06?

• Cheer: He helped us Win 3 Super Bowls

Votes: 39 41.5%
  • Boo: Sell out anybody but the hated Colts

Votes: 55 58.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
desi-patsfan said:
my response to the colts kicker will be, apathy.

My desired response from the fans would be the silent treatment.

It's less where he went for me - and in part, I wouldn't want to give the Colts the satisfaction of letting them be perceived as one of our arch rivals - you actually have to win a game that matters to be considered a rival...

It's the way he left.

BB did the honorable thing (note I didn't say the "right" thing) by letting him go to free agency rather than franchising him for one more season.

For Adam, the honorable thing to do would have been to give the Pats a final chance to meet or beat another team's offer. He admitted he didn't do that.

I don't want to boo the guy given his contributions over the years.

I don't want to cheer the guy given the way in which he decided to leave.

I'd love to see 60,000 + fans be absolutely silent if and when he is introduced.

BelichickFan said:
He's been cheered and paid handomely for those moments.

I'm sorry, I just can't forget what he did for this franchise and this city. I don't like that he left either. But players have only so many years to make their mark and to make their money. I won't begrudge him that, so long as he doesn't bad mouth his coach and his organization.

He was here 10 years
He contributed greatly to this organization (just like all the other players did, I'm not putting him on a pedestal).
He never said anything negetive in the press, even though it was clear he was upset about his contract.
He was a great Patriot and now he's moved on. He's not the first and he won't be the last. But he was a great Patriot and I won't boo him

BelichickFan said:
By saying he gave the Patriots no opportunity to match the offer ?

The Patriots were never going to give him the money he wanted. They had more than two years to try to reach a deal. (He actually priced himself out of the market except that Polian panicked because of the fan out cry about Edge).

I wouldn't have paid him that kind of money either, but he got what he wanted. 'He knew' they weren't going to pay him, 'they knew' they weren't going to pay him. How many times do you have to hear the word "no" before you move on?

Can you tell I haven't quite gotten the hang of this "quote" thingie yet? And may I compliment you on your cool user name!

Last edited:
i will not be at the Razor to see the game.

having said that, i know, this time, i am in the minority.

i admit that i will 'theorically' cheer for Adam Vinatieri because the best moments for me in sports ever were a couple of winning Fg that i will never forget...

expecially i will never forget the 45 yards kick in the snow against oakland
or the winning fg against STL

these kicks were and still are impressed in my memory as a NE Patriots fan

so, my friends, sorry: i should cheer our old # 4.

of course i will hope in a strong victory from us against Indy.

Last edited by a moderator:
He took the praise this area heaped upon him and thumbed his nose at all of us. What about all the #4 jerseys and broken hearts from the little ones that cannot understand why he left, hell, I cannot understand it either.

AV suffers from athletic swollen head disease, a common affliction amongst atheletes that forget the organization, fans and teammates that helped them to prosper.

His endrosements alone would have made up any salary differential, but he did not want any part of this area any longer. Perhaps he thinks this will be his best way to make it to the HOF, by kicking in a safe dome? I hope it will backfire on him as he will be kicking scared and his karma may just get even with him.

All things considered - He broke Gino's record and could not wait to get out of town. I wonder how Gino really feels about him now?

Of course I remember and appreciate, the great moments, why did he have to tarnish those memories? For what?

I am expected to cheer the guy that wanted no part of this team or area and decides to kick for the competition, nope, not me - he could not have picked a worse way to leave as far as I am concerned.

Boy, we haven't had one of theses threads in a couple of weeks now. :rolleyes:

Players among others will tell you that buying a ticket gives you the right to react as you please. But booing a player who played here for a decade, whose clutch kicks - revisionist history aside - were crucial in vaulting this team from the much maligned Patsies to a dynasty, says more about the bitter jilted lover mentality of some fans, which is of course short for fanatic, than it does about the player. Players understand this, and it's a win-win situation for them. The only ones the choice reflects badly on are the fans. Cheering the player shows your appreciation for his efforts as well as grasp of the NFL compensation system he performs within, booing only reflects how much his loss hurt your feelings and your ignorance of how the system works. Cheer and you are knowledgeable and appreciative fans. Boo and you are uninformed and self absorbed fanatics.

I hope those who boo are in the minority and do not portray the majority of Pat's fans as the spoiled, knee jerk, revisionist ingrates who now take our good fortune of the last 5 years for granted. That would only serve to underscore the low opinion most of the jealous fans of other teams and many in the media have of us at this point anyway. At our last Superbowl we were outnumbered by Eagles fans 4-1. And would probably just serve to further underscore to our own present and potential future players that since all we root for is the laundry why should any of them really care who signs their paychecks down the road as long as someone guarantees they will. Fan loyalty is fleeting, and in NE that usually manifests itself with an ugly edge, but a healthy bank account will provide for your family for a lifetime if not for generations. If the Pat's offered Richard Seymour a 3 year $30M extension with no guaranteed or bonus money, he's sitting home this July 28th still waiting for a realistic offer. If in FA someone offered him a 6 year $65M+ deal with $30M+ in bonuses and guarantees contingent on his not taking the offer back to the team who offered him no a guaranteed money deal for the last two seasons, Richard is history too.

Adam did just what this team does - what was in his best long term financial interest. Could he have thumbed his nose at an offer that was conditional on it's acceptance without using it for leverage, and taken a chance that with a gun to their heads the Pats would reluctantly match it? Sure he could have, but then again the Pats could have avoided the entire scenario by making him a credible offer with a signing bonus before it ever came to this. They didn't, by Jonathan Kraft's own admission, and I for one believe they regret that approach in hindsight. Not every player wants to have to rely on Papa Gino's to bridge fund his retirement. Adam quietly gave them two years to make up their minds. He was under no obligation to give them a day longer. He also could have reamed them on his way out the door, but he had too much class to do that - unlike (unfortunately) many of his former fans.

fgssand said:
I am expected to cheer the guy that wanted no part of this team or area and decides to kick for the competition, nope, not me - he could not have picked a worse way to leave as far as I am concerned.
I agree with you 100%.
I want to Boo Adam, but the more i read about giving him the silent treatment the better i think it is.

Imagine the crowd booing every player announced for the Colts and then nobody making a sound if/when Adam is announced...... i think this would get in his head big time since he was expecting one or the other (especially boos).

I just think it would really mess with him and look good if nobody said a thing. Booing would be the next best option. Cheering for him shouldn't be an option at all.

QuiGon said:
I'll cheer him and, quite honestly, I don't understand the animosity some people have for him. He made a decision that was in his best financial interest - kinda like what the Patriots do all the time. I don't begrudge him one bit.

Don't get me wrong... I hope he misses every kick he makes from now on. But what he has done for this franchise cannot be forgotten.

I couldn't agree more. My hope is that some of you have cooled down since AV left - I know I have. I hate that he took off, I hate that he didn't give us a chance to match, and I think it is, long-term, a stupid move on his part. But it is what it is, and he has done what he has done - and much of that was HUGE for the Patriots. He deserves to be cheered the first time and then, maybe, no longer. But have some class. Boo-ers will just look like jerks, and rightfully so, IMO.

patsox23 said:
He deserves to be cheered the first time and then, maybe, no longer. But have some class. Boo-ers will just look like jerks, and rightfully so, IMO.
I am glad a few people have a larger view of things than what the main part of the thread is..I agree totally without any class!!!! TOTAL and completely!!!! I agree...Cheering first..and then..booing...later..!!!! THAT says it all..The fans appreciated what u did while here...BUT hate that u left in such a poor manner.

JoeSixPat said:
I'd love to see 60,000 + fans be absolutely silent if and when he is introduced.

Better yet, let's organize it so the entire stadium collectively turns its back to him whenever he comes out on the field.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, as much as I loved those clutch kicks over the years, what it all comes down to is that Adam preferred to kick for the Colts over the Pats, and that is just plain unforgivable in this Pats fan's eyes. If he wanted to go chase $$$ in Dallas or Washington, so what, but the Colts?!?! He knows how much the Pats and their fans hate Indy, he shouldn't be surprised to receive some loud boo's come November.

I don't plan on cheering any Colt players.

I'd love to know what version of 'revisionist' history Mo refers to. The two missed kicks in the Carolina superbowl, the constant bad kick-offs and the missed kick in the Broncos playoff game; the missed kicks all through 2004, and the 17th ranking last year amoung kickers are FACTS. No revision required.

Adam's best days are behind him, and the idea that the Pats should have wrapped him up years ago is silly. They tried to but Adam was never content with the offers. He made tons of 'franchise' money and then was offered the biggest contract EVER for a kicker by the Pats. He blew it off to sign with the Colts and didn't even check back to see if the Pats would go there, yet we have all these apologists claiming that Adam was mistreated. He is being WAY overpaid now, and he was WAY overpaid ever since 2004, he wasn't worth the money and didn't help us win games. No revision here, just a reality check.

We are better off getting a cheaper and stronger kicker, but some people in NE think this guy is a god for making a couple of great kicks in 2001. They believe that no other kicker could have done that and they make claims about 'revising' history when some of us just want a decent kicker for a change. Somebody who can be relied on to make 50 yard kicks, and strong kick-offs. Somebody who wouldn't have choked in Denver or against the Panthers.

The jilted lovers I see are the Adam apologists who don't seem to understand that the Mike Comptons' of the world were just as important on a play by play basis in winning in 2001.

The fact that we get called out around here for wanting to boo the Colts shows who the jilted lovers are, and who amoung us is ready for the next generation of kickers who have not yet priced themselves out of NE.

I wish Adam well, I don't plan on cheering for any Colts, and I'm glad we won't be overpaying for a kicker anymore. Just like we didn't overpay for Mike Compton, a guy that spent much more time than Adam on the field. We never had these extensive polls when Compton went to the Jaguars, funny how that works.....

Keegs said:
I agree with you 100%.
I want to Boo Adam, but the more i read about giving him the silent treatment the better i think it is.

Imagine the crowd booing every player announced for the Colts and then nobody making a sound if/when Adam is announced...... i think this would get in his head big time since he was expecting one or the other (especially boos).

I just think it would really mess with him and look good if nobody said a thing. Booing would be the next best option. Cheering for him shouldn't be an option at all.

Silent treatment is best to make a statement:

I cannot BOO the guy out of appreciation for all the glory.

I cannot cheer for him because he is a Colt now, he is the enemy.

Also, I am pissed at the way it all played out. I am disappointed with everyone involved, AV should still be a NEP. Willie Mcg should be as well. The NFL needs to figure an exemption of some type allowing 10 year vets with the same team to finish with that team, without anyone being punished. Surely a 2 or 3 player "vested veteran exemption" in some form could be worked out, or is there simply too much greed?

5 Rings for Brady!! said:
I don't plan on cheering any Colt players.

I'd love to know what version of 'revisionist' history Mo refers to. The two missed kicks in the Carolina superbowl, the constant bad kick-offs and the missed kick in the Broncos playoff game; the missed kicks all through 2004, and the 17th ranking last year amoung kickers are FACTS. No revision required.

He didn't miss in XXXVIII because he's losing leg, he missed the first because he lost his footing on a painted field, the second was blocked. Lucky for us he was savvy enough to switch cleats before making the third since it was a game winning kick. FYI he was a 93.9% FG kicker in 2004. Scored 141 points to lead the NFL in scoring. Even threw a TD pass to Troy Brown, the same guy Brady overthrew on a gimme TD in Denver on the play just before Adam missed the FG. We should probably have let Brady walk too. He didn't rank in the top 5 in his position and Cassel is much cheaper and has a higher QB rating. .

Adam's best days are behind him, and the idea that the Pats should have wrapped him up years ago is silly. They tried to but Adam was never content with the offers. He made tons of 'franchise' money and then was offered the biggest contract EVER for a kicker by the Pats. He blew it off to sign with the Colts and didn't even check back to see if the Pats would go there, yet we have all these apologists claiming that Adam was mistreated. He is being WAY overpaid now, and he was WAY overpaid ever since 2004, he wasn't worth the money and didn't help us win games. No revision here, just a reality check.

Among his 19 game winning FG's with seconds remaining he had two in games last season, Pittsburgh and Atlanta. Without those wins we face a must win game for the Division against the Dolphins in week 17. Do you expect players here to take whatever they are offered? He was "franchised" twice in 4 years but only played under the tag once. The first time he signed a three year deal within a week that was not nearly to be the highest paid but was the first ever fully guaranteed contract for a kicker. Coming off that deal they franchised him again, coming off the best season of his career, but this time there was no deal to follow. Most players pitch a fit when franchised. Adam said it was no big deal. When FA finally arrived this year Jonathan Kraft leaked on a radio show that the team had offered Adam a deal that would keep him the highest paid kicker in the league. He fibbed to put it politely, because within a few days the word also leaked out that the deal they offered included NO BONUS OR GUARANTEED MONEY. Basically they offered to franchise him without the protection of an actual franchise tag. I resent Jonathan playing the spin game to set Adam up as the bad guy in the fans eyes if he left. Adam never said it because he has too much class to whine, or rip the FO on his way out of town, or diss the franchise or it's fans, but their offer was an insult. Still he had nothing but good things to say about them and us. What pissed some off is he had the nerve to say nice things about his new team too. LOL He took responsibility for his decision and confirmed he did not give them a chance to match. The Colts offer was contingent on that, and he gave Polian his word if they gave him that deal he would not simply try to use it for leverage. And the Colts are saving money on kicking this year - about $1.5M compared to what they paid Vanderjerk to kick FG's and some stiff to handle KO because he couldn't.

We are better off getting a cheaper and stronger kicker, but some people in NE think this guy is a god for making a couple of great kicks in 2001. They believe that no other kicker could have done that and they make claims about 'revising' history when some of us just want a decent kicker for a change. Somebody who can be relied on to make 50 yard kicks, and strong kick-offs. Somebody who wouldn't have choked in Denver or against the Panthers.

You sound like a fan who came to this recently. You really do. No kicker can be relied on to make 50 yard kicks, even those kicking indoors as opposed to in a bad weather outdoor divisions. Kickers are like closers - they can have it and lose from season to season. Consistency and reliability is what coaches value. Career wise Adam is the 5th best kicker in NFL history. And a field position coach like BB isn't inclined to go for it at that distance anyway. Adam's kickoffs were plenty strong including 10 touchbacks, and outside of NE where those he's being compared to kick he routinely adds 3-5 yards to his average. Mare's career average KO numbers are just 2 yards longer. Adam routinely kicks 3-5 yards farther in Miami. Wait til you see his numbers kicking 8+ games a year in domes and mild climates kicking in the AFC South vs. East. You'll see why guys like Rackers who was run out of Cincy can seemingly morph into league leaders kicking 14 of 16 in domes or warm weather venues. And of course some kickers likely find additional means to develop more leg beyond change of scene or experience due to the marvels of modern science.

The best we can hope for Gostkowski is he survives his rookie season without blowing chunks in a crucial situation, because if he does this passionate fan base turn on him like a pack of dogs. He certainly is cheaper since he was the only PK selected in a weak 2006 draft. He's never kicked in the elements in December and January in a venue remotely like Gillette. Nor has he even kicked in a college championship game in his young life. But I'm sure he'll be fine because after all, he's our kicker now. And he was a pitcher too, which some feel really helps, even with an era over 7. And if he falters we've always got Dramatica who we know can kick 'em from 50 off a tee on a vacant practice field with his physical therapist cheerleading. :rolleyes:

The jilted lovers I see are the Adam apologists who don't seem to understand that the Mike Comptons' of the world were just as important on a play by play basis in winning in 2001.

Bull****, but if it makes you or Mike feel better just keep telling yourself that. If AV doesn't make that kick to tie the Oakland game, and then the one to win it, nothing Compton ever did here means squat. Ditto the 48 yarder to win the first Superbowl. It's also entirely possible Bledsoe is still here and Brady and Belichick have moved on.

The fact that we get called out around here for wanting to boo the Colts shows who the jilted lovers are, and who amoung us is ready for the next generation of kickers who have not yet priced themselves out of NE.

Adam didn't price himself out of NE. They were apparently only too happy to pay him two and a half million a year, just didn't want to give him a signing bonus that would have made him cheaper on the cap now but more likely to see his paychecks continue beyond on a year to year basis. Seems from your viewpoint though you want to boo a guy who wasn't any good anymore anyway who went somewhere else because we didn't want to pay him either. So what's to boo??? LOL

I wish Adam well, I don't plan on cheering for any Colts, and I'm glad we won't be overpaying for a kicker anymore. Just like we didn't overpay for Mike Compton, a guy that spent much more time than Adam on the field. We never had these extensive polls when Compton went to the Jaguars, funny how that works.....

Compton was a 31 year old Guard when he got here, a 33 year old Guard when he went on IR just 2 years later, and a 34 year old Guard when he left in 2004 to sign with the JAGS for whom he has never started. If you don't appreciate the relative value difference between him and a HOF kicker who made the greatest clutch kick in NFL history for our team so Mike Compton could even play in a Superbowl game, then there is just no point discussing football with you.

And I'm not cheering a Colt, I'm going to cheer Adam for being what Bill Belichick always liked to refer to him as - a football player, and one who played a critical role in my team ever even having the chance to win 3 Lombardis.

I plan on alternating between boo's and cheers. When I cheer, I will also clap. When I boo, I will sort of give him the "get out of here" swat with my left hand.

Mo Lewis, you really do rock! :rocker:

As far as Adam goes, no one is calling him a god and no one is putting him above any one else on that team.

53 players came out of that tunnel together and 53 players did their jobs.

53 players 17 coaches and one very special Head Coach :) have given me joyful memories to last a life time.... And my gratitude toward them will last a life time as well.

Thank you Adam

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I will boo the hell out of him from 900 miles away.

2003 was Adam's bad year, not 2004. Big deal. But anything goes to prove a point, I guess. And 45 yards, not 50, was his maximum range. By the way, field position on kick-offs is important in EVERY game. ;)

Adam has leg strength, age and back issues. He is inconsistent. I don't want to overpay him. This is a team sport, and according to Mo's logic, we should have just put Adam on the field all alone in 2001. :rolleyes:

Only in NE do we think that kickers are Gods on this earth, and only because we had a mediocre offense. I would rather have a strong offense and less last minute kicking, going forward. Adam plays about 10 plays a game, which is why most people who actually play football for a living, and don't just write condescending web-threads about the sport, understand that kickers have a limited role on the team and are EXPECTED to do their job right.

Dragging John Kraft into this like he was in on some conspiracy to smear Adam is blatant crap, but anything to prove a point, right? I guess the Krafts didn't play a critical role of any kind in bringing YOUR team 3 championships. ;)

Sports is supposed to be fun, and booing the opponent is part of that. I plan on booing the Colts, and I hope we can upgrade our kicking game as it stands now, in 2006. Also, I hope we have a better offense in the future, instead of just a strong kicking game.

You can highlight every sentence here and micro-manage every word, but I still plan on booing the Colts. I doubt that Adam gives a crap whether I boo him. I also hope he never makes another kick as long as he is a Colt.

Many thanks to Adam for making his kicks for the Pats, you did your job well and made a contribution to a team effort that involved 52 other people, most of whom get 0% credit compared to you. I look forward to booing your new team, hope you don't take it personally. :D

everybody should wave a dollar bill back and forth in the air and chant TRAITOR....TRAITOR......TRAITOR, HE'LL GET THE POINT.

The silent treatment wouldnt be expected at all an it probally would get people off guard.

one things for sure N.E. is no longer his home. I will no longer be a part of you guys that want to be the welcoming commitee for players that intentionally thumb their noses at us. he shouldnt feel at home when he comes here. he's gotten all the praise for what he has done by us .becoming a colt in the fashion he did should put what was once becoming a N.E. legend to a screaching halt. I hope for the remainder of his career his kickoffs go to the 25- 30 yard line and misses a career high amount of kicks. I'll never forget what he's done for us but what hes done for us is over, he's a colt so I wish him the worse career possible taking him out of the HOF race. traitors never prosper.

5 Rings for Brady!! said:
2003 was Adam's bad year, not 2004. Big deal. But anything goes to prove a point, I guess. And 45 yards, not 50, was his maximum range. By the way, field position on kick-offs is important in EVERY game. ;)

Well in your world apparently it does. And 49 yards was his longgest kick last season. His career long was 57 in 2002. Field posiiton is important, and that's why 10 touchbacks and a 61.7 ypko average is fine For a kicker who performs primarily in the northern reaches of the AFCE - puts the ball down on average at the 8.

Adam has leg strength, age and back issues. He is inconsistent. I don't want to overpay him. This is a team sport, and according to Mo's logic, we should have just put Adam on the field all alone in 2001. :rolleyes:

That's not my logic, it's your weak attempt to counter my logic. You don't amass a career average over 80% by being inconsistent. The Pat's were more than willing to pay him, so I guess he wasn't overpaid. They simply weren't willing to commit to paying him until they realized someone else was going to - and then it was too late. Oh well...

Only in NE do we think that kickers are Gods on this earth, and only because we had a mediocre offense. I would rather have a strong offense and less last minute kicking, going forward. Adam plays about 10 plays a game, which is why most people who actually play football for a living, and don't just write condescending web-threads about the sport, understand that kickers have a limited role on the team and are EXPECTED to do their job right.

We did have a mediocre offense, which is why diminishing what Adam did is revisionist history. Who wouldn't want a strong offense and less last minute kicking going forward. Trick is actually having it. More games than ever are being decided by 6 points or less which makes the kicking game crucial. Just ask a HC who doesn't trust his. And here in NE everybody is EXPECTED to do their job right, but unfortunately as in real life some apparently can't. Our 2005 secondary comes to mind as just one example. Even if you have a strong offense it's dependent on your defense holding the lead. In 3 Superbowls our defense struggled late, but our kicker didn't.

Dragging John Kraft into this like he was in on some conspiracy to smear Adam is blatant crap, but anything to prove a point, right? I guess the Krafts didn't play a critical role of any kind in bringing YOUR team 3 championships. ;)

I give the Krafts full credit for their role in bringing this team 3 Superbowls. That is why I hate to see Jonathan stoop to being disingenuous at times in his dealings with the media. No good ever comes from that.

Sports is supposed to be fun, and booing the opponent is part of that. I plan on booing the Colts, and I hope we can upgrade our kicking game as it stands now, in 2006. Also, I hope we have a better offense in the future, instead of just a strong kicking game.

You can highlight every sentence here and micro-manage every word, but I still plan on booing the Colts. I doubt that Adam gives a crap whether I boo him. I also hope he never makes another kick as long as he is a Colt.

I agree. And I "hope" so too.

Many thanks to Adam for making his kicks for the Pats, you did your job well and made a contribution to a team effort that involved 52 other people, most of whom get 0% credit compared to you. I look forward to booing your new team, hope you don't take it personally. :D

If you think the 52 others don't get credit you must be living in a cave. Brady has 2 Superbowl MVP's and celebrities want to golf with him, Branch has one, Vrabel deserves a couple, Tedy and Rodney a couple more, Troy and JR and Wiggie and Givens and Willie and Richard all got and get lots of love and respect. Some even after they holdout or leave for more money and/or a chance to play longer. Adam is no different. That's why he left. And where he went was simply to the team that offered him the best deal, which is by and large what most players allowed to get to FA do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back