Welcome to PatsFans.com

Will You be Taxed on Your Health Insurance ?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by BelichickFan, May 13, 2009.

1. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +278 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

Obama Says House Looks to Back Healthcare in July - Healthcare * US * News * Story - CNBC.com

"Senators also are considering limiting—but not eliminating—the tax-free status of employer-provided health benefits.

Employer-provided health insurance technically is considered part of workers' compensation, but unlike wages, it is not taxed. The forgone revenue to the federal government amounts to about $250 billion a year.

So even if they're lucky enough to avoid going to the doctor or hospital, and never use their job-based health insurance, some Americans may find themselves paying taxes on at least part of its value.

The president adamantly opposed such taxes during the campaign, arguing they would undermine job-based coverage.

Obama's aides now say he's open to suggestions from Congress, even if he criticized Republican presidential rival John McCain for proposing a sweeping version of the same basic idea.

Baucus said he wants to modify the tax break, not abolish it. "We are not going to repeal it," he said. Baucus suggested that the benefit could be limited by taxing health insurance provided to high-income individuals, although he did not specify at what income levels."

---------

I'd put money (literally) that obama will be reaching into my bank account on this one. I can't want to see what is considered a "high-income individual". My wife and I are both engineers so we make good money combined but certainly solidly below the supposed cutoff for "rich" of $250K mentioned in the obama campaign. Get ready, boys and girls, more taxes are coming and it won't just be the rich.
    Last edited: May 13, 2009
  2. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

by the end of the year, anything above minimum wage will be 'high income'
  3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +327 / 1 / -9

Does this new dingobat health care plan mean that all those rich foreigners won't be coming to America for their "by-passes" anymore, America has the greatest health Care System in the world and these f---ing democrats are going to destroy it.

Poor people in Maine get better health & dental care than the rich people, it's called "Welfare & Medicaid" it's all free.
  4. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Poor people in Maine don't have any teeth, what the hell do they need dental for?
  5. Mabeyitstrue

Mabeyitstrue Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

"America has the greatest health Care System in the world and these f---ing democrats are going to destroy it."

Ya only if you have the money too, see harry not all of us are made of money. Some of us have to work 2 or more jobs just to get by and still not enough.....Even though are employers are running around with a Benz's and buying 500k-800k houses, they don't have enough to buy health care for there employees but hey, as long as your ok living it up, hell with everyone eles aye??????

You only get this greatest health Care System if you have the CASH!! If not your left to die an wither away. I hate the fact that when I'm sick I can't even go to the hospital because it cost an arm and a leg for 15 min's of BS doctor talk and at the end all he dose is give me pills, this costs you me and our states millions in costs.

Its not right and its nor fair, quit building 5-10 millon dollar hospitals paying doctors 250k-500k a year and mabey they could lower the costs so all of us can use this "greatest health Care System" we have.

Though, this will never happen cause ppl are so stupid we would rather be selfish and self-centered and worship our golden bulls then work as a team and make this world and ourselves better but hey that's life and some ppl you just can't change...........................
  6. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +278 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

The fallacy is people saying "most people don't have access to health care" when the reality is the huge majority do and just a few don't. For those with jobs we need to make it so they can afford reasonable insurance but you don't have to be rich to have good health care - despite what the media says.
  7. godef

godef Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

The problem here is that health insurance is like any other insurance in that you don't typically expect to get back what you put into it unless your chronically sick; only in this way can health providers make any sort of profit. In essense, what the employer pays for health care is more than how much a typical employee gets out of it. The only fair way to straighten this all out is with an as-used clause, but of course, the chronic sufferer would end up possibly paying more in taxes that what was paid by the employer to begin with.

Since the government doesn't offer national health insurance at this point, they should not be taxing it.
  8. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

****golf clap****
  9. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Sooo most people get back what they put into other insurance?
  10. Michael

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Sounds great.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  11. Mabeyitstrue

Mabeyitstrue Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Wow talk about being taking out of context:eek:

Ok here's how it would really be:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next time you might want to actually know what your talking about first before you talk.

You can show pictures of 3rd world and try your right wing scare tactics but they won't work on me, cause i'm not an idiot;)
  12. Michael

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Could have fooled me. I think you better reread your first post. :rolleyes:
  13. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +181 / 2 / -10

The truth here is that OF COURSE health benefits shouldn't be taxed no matter what. I don't want to pay any more taxes, period. But let's not allow those WE voted in to suddenly change what used to be a benefit into something new to tax.

This one's a slam-dunk for those with common-sense. How can something (co. payed health ins) be a benefit today and income tomorrow. Anyone with half a brain can see the idiocy in such a proposal.
  14. godef

godef Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Did I say that? :p Hmmm... let me take a look. Oh, here it is...

Sooo where did you learn to read?
  15. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +181 / 2 / -10

So....are you stating that you support taxing company paid health insurance plans?
  16. godef

godef Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

DOH! Another person can't read. To quote myself from my first post:
    This is really getting tiresome. :(
  17. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +181 / 2 / -10

BTW godef, it's "Duh", not "Doh" ;)

So "if" a national health care bill is passed, you'd support taxing company paid health care plans?
  18. NEPatriot

NEPatriot Banned

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Obama has come up with different ways of taxing people. Taxing your health insurance is one of them and another is your soda.You will think twice when you pick up 'none diet' pepsi and coke because Obama wants you to pay tax.

You can't blame him for wanting you to live 'healthy'. :)
  19. godef

godef Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Now that's a different question. If the US offers a national health plan ,and assuming it provides reasonably decent care, then any additional paid health benefits from your company would become a luxury. That said, I'm guessing most companies would stop paying for health care and only offer group insurance as an option to those who want to buy it. So yes, I probably would support a tax on such benefits, if only to help supplement the cost of the national health care system.
  20. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +181 / 2 / -10

Why should I supplement the health care of others when I'm not using it myself? Like most Americans, I'm totally against taxing anyone for health care. Although I do support "universal" health care.
    Last edited: May 14, 2009