Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Will Welker be productive?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not even close to the player that he is now. Games will be much more difficult for the entire Pats O. I think the next few games will show just how much Moss meant to the offense, or at the very least force the Pats to change their whole offensive scheme

He was exactly the player he is now: infuriating to watch your team try to defend. I'm surprised how many people think the Pats "discovered" Welker.

The difference is Brady vs. Culpepper, not Moss vs. Chambers.

I think this really depends on what Brandon Tate is or isn't going to be able to do as the flanker. If he can come in and do an admirable job of replacing Moss's ability to stretch the field (which, let's face it, is something the coaching staff CLEARLY thought we needed after '06), then Welker's production won't take that much of a hit. But, rest assured, until Tate flashes that ability, Welker is going to draw the other team's best CB (Revis, Davis, etc.) on top of being shadowed by a safety who, as always, is going to look to absolutely light him up. Will Welker be the same guy? Sure. He'll still be a dependable option. But his production will definitely see a drop off with Moss gone.

For me, the bigger question is, with Tate moving to flanker, who the hell plays split-end? Is Taylor Price really ready to see action? Otherwise, I don't see another fit at that position.

Welker will always be productive. But to the extent he has been the last 3 seasons with Moss at his side? No. With no Defenses can roll a safety to cover Welker and he is less effective against those types than the linebackers they usually have to assign to him because the safety is usually providing over the top help against Moss.

Last edited:
What I learned here is that Hernandez runs a faster 4.40 than Moss.
We are saved...............

He was exactly the player he is now: infuriating to watch your team try to defend. I'm surprised how many people think the Pats "discovered" Welker.

The difference is Brady vs. Culpepper, not Moss vs. Chambers.

I think the Patriots "discovered" Welker. His catches doubled once he arrived in NE, as well as his yards each season. He was a whole different player once he arrived in NE

He ll be looked the same by Brady, but I expect lots of INT going for him cause now he can even be 3 covered

If they're triple-covering Welker, who'll be covering Tate, GRONK, Hernandez, etc.?

Good players don't stop being good players. It doesn't bother me if Welker's catches go down and the productivity from Gronkowski, Hernandez, Woodhead, BJGE, Taylor and Tate rise.

Last edited:
For me, the bigger question is, with Tate moving to flanker, who the hell plays split-end? Is Taylor Price really ready to see action? Otherwise, I don't see another fit at that position.

Hernandez has been taking plenty of reps there.

Welker is Welker because no one can cover him in tight quarters.
I dont know how Welker coming out of his cut so quick that no one can stick with him, or finding the soft area in a zone changes because Moss isnt on the field.
Seriously you need to watch Welker. Teams cover him. But when you put a guy in coverage and Welker beats him out of the break all day it doesnt really matter whats happening on the other side of the field.
Unless you think a team can dedicate 3 players to cover Welker, left, right middle within 5-7 yards of the los without leaving other players wide open, there isnt much to worry about here.
Also, where Welker is different than Moss is that Welker can execute every route that fits every coverage. You cant cover him one way all day and take away his whole game.

Welker is now going to get roughed up more than every before, teams are going to have 2-3 defenders around him when the Pats try n throw the ball, not something he or the team wants with him still recovering from his knee injury.

I still think Welker will be hard to cover despite not having Moss commanding the double coverage. Teams will still have to defend the long ball because we still have WR's that are fast. When we played Buffalo, Brady over threw a long ball to Slater which he clearly ran past the DB. Without Moss, Brady has to be more accurate on the deep passes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes