PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will we see more of an attack defense this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

slash83

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
With the improvements to the secondary and the additions of more pass rushers will we see a bit of a change from the defense? I got the feeling last year the defensive play calling was a lil reluctant to blitz due to the fact of not having much confidence of leaving the corners in 1 on 1 coverage. With the addition of Bodden and Springs, and the improvement of Wilhite do you guys think will see more of an attack defense this year?

I've wondered myself. I dunno. I wonder if a 4-3 base would lead to more attacking form the ends (Burgess, TBC). Maybe Tully gets 9 sacks this season and some crazy NFC team offers him cash up the wazoo again.

Well, there was plenty of blitzing going on early in the Philly preseason game. If that is any indication of what could be, then I'd say the answer would have to be 'yes.' I don't know anything, but I would hope that's what we see. I think we have the personnel to get after the opposing QB.

It's looking like the D will be more comfortable playing games with the front seven while the back four keeps it real.

It's looking like the D will be more comfortable playing games with the front seven while the back four keeps it real.

Sounds good to me, the front sevens personal is there to play games.

With the improvements to the secondary and the additions of more pass rushers will we see a bit of a change from the defense? I got the feeling last year the defensive play calling was a lil reluctant to blitz due to the fact of not having much confidence of leaving the corners in 1 on 1 coverage. With the addition of Bodden and Springs, and the improvement of Wilhite do you guys think will see more of an attack defense this year?

Have to admit, when I first read the title of the thread I was thinking of the vaunted 'Dom Capers aggressive and dangerous defense'. Groan...

Philly was an example of using the Safeties to blitz more, with cruddy CBs the Pats could not lock up 1:1 forcing the Safeties to play conservative and provide help over the top. If our CBs look good and someone can cover a TE I expect more blitzing from Merriweather/Sanders/Chung.

Well if we are running a 4-3, it is more of an "attack" defense in general as you are always sending at least 4 players during passing downs.

I think using a base 4-3 will help us solve a lot of our pressure issues from last year. They just need to find a way to effectively stuff the run.

Imagine a 4 - 3 with Burgess Wilfork Warren Seymour, then having A.Thomas blitz from the Outside LB spot...

Im looking forward to see this defense develop this year.

Im looking forward to see this defense develop this year.
Me too.

From the Eagles game, I came away with the idea that that the Pats appeared to be working in the 4-3 agressive posture more than in the past, and they look like they have a deeper lot of agressive and athletic guys on the DL who can play . The cuts are going to be very interesting this year.

Shoring up the secondary will go a long way to that end. What were we lacking on the D last year? IMO, it was a sustained pass rush that had enough time to get to the QB because receivers weren't covered.

God I hope so. Regardless of whether we run a base 3-4 or 4-3, I would like to see us become a bit more aggressive, disruptive and attacking with more big plays. I don't want us to necessarily become Baltimore or Pittsburgh, but a more intimidating and attacking defense would be welcome. We have continued to get younger on defense and add more speed and athleticism overall, as well as the personnel to adopt a greater range of defensive schemes. I can't wait to see how that translates onto the field this season.

Think we will be seeing some very creative schemes on D this year, with so many viable parts and an almost completely changed secondary... it will be interesting, and some announcers will go Duh, what was that???

Think we will be seeing some very creative schemes on D this year, with so many viable parts and an almost completely changed secondary... it will be interesting, and some announcers will go Duh, what was that???

I think the creative schemes are possible only if the CB's are completely confortable with the playbook and know their assignments inside and out. If Wheatley or Butler are starting then we are going to be a soft zone defense again this year.
Wilhite is impressing me some. I had him for the PS this year, but he appears to be quicker than I thought. Maybe BB can be creative with Wilhite and Bodden back there.
I am not sure Springs will survive TC healthy enough to play in the regular season.

I think the creative schemes are possible only if the CB's are completely confortable with the playbook and know their assignments inside and out. If Wheatley or Butler are starting then we are going to be a soft zone defense again this year.
Wilhite is impressing me some. I had him for the PS this year, but he appears to be quicker than I thought. Maybe BB can be creative with Wilhite and Bodden back there.
I am not sure Springs will survive TC healthy enough to play in the regular season.

The team is paying Springs as a starting corner - he had better respond. I'm hoping the time off is mostly a function of him being a vet. If healthy, he's one of the better CBs in the league. And imagine our depth at CB then.

The Pats played some more man on Thurs then [I remember] them playing the last couple seasons. They seemed OK leaving Bodden, Wilhite & Butler on an island. They sent 7 men at one point and left the 4 DBs covering 4 targets, the result was a hurried and incomplete pass.

All of Belichicik's past coaching records indicate that... "Bend, don't Break" works to reduce opponents scoring. So why would he change to a gambling attacking Defense, now ?:confused:

All of Belichicik's past coaching records indicate that... "Bend, don't Break" works to reduce opponents scoring. So why would he change to a gambling attacking Defense, now ?:confused:

His past coaching says "3-4 base", too, but that may be changing.

Seeing how effectively teams worked against their D last year has BB making some major personnel changes so why not a change in philosophy. Besides,"Bend and Bend Some More" defense keeps Brady off the field.

i dunno...belichick has never been a slave to convention, even his own convention...and, it has been four years since he restocked the trophy case in Foxboro...maybe he wants to shake things up a bit this year...several things point to it...the two-a-days at TC, making it clear he wasn't happy with the 0--4 preseason last year, trading Vrabes, leaving Brewski's role undefined...I'm NOT saying blame the D for not bringing home another Lombardi, just saying that with the Offense set except at RB, it's as good a place as any to send a signal, especially when he thinks back on "that game" and what an unrelenting Giants D did that day...

Last edited:

He did change to zone blocking at one point so he is flexible.

Really? It seems to me that BB originally made his mark in the 80's with a pretty aggressive defense for the Giants. That wasn't a "bend don't break" kind of defense, as I recall. Plus, "bend don't break" has too often turned into "break" on 3rd down or in the red zone in recent history, with too few turnovers and big plays.

It seems to me that BB's defensive approach may have gotten more conservative over the years not because of any fixed philosophy but because he is a master at adapting to his personnel. We now have more athleticism and speed in the secondary and at LB than in recent years, possibly the best pass-rushing capability in some time with Burgess and Thomas, and tremendous flexibility to change schemes around with the front 7. I'm not saying that we exclusively change to "gambling" defense, but I can see us mixing it up using more aggressive and attacking formations and changing schemes to keep opponents off balance.

With the recent additions on defense, I believe BB will change his philosophy to more of an attacking style defense ala Pittsburgh, Philly, New York Giants. They live in a copy cat league and you have to make changes if you expect to stay on top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back