Welcome to PatsFans.com

Will We Reach This Point

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Harry Boy, Oct 21, 2010.

1. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,019 / 15 / -8

14th amendment, due process clause; incorporation doctrine. read the posts preceding yours, and move your lips and sound out all the words if necessary.

Bold new ideas for the mid nineteenth century ya got there, WP.

2. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Great job ignoring my point there! :rofl: :rofl:
    Actually my "bold new ideas" come from even earlier than that. I am proud to say my "bold new ideas" are from the late 18th Century. You seem to think that deserves disdain and derision, but I am proud of that fact.

Now get back in the kitchen and make me some bacon and eggs ayyyyyyyyyararrhghhghghggh.

3. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +1,019 / 15 / -8

Evidently, you have no point. The Constitution extends the federal law to local and state venues. Good job ignoring the corpus of Constitutional law, and for that matter the Constitution itself.

About that bacon & eggs thing, I get it: you're a sexist, and you've spewed your sexist rot on here and gotten away with it, because your buddy is a mod. Whoop de do.

You get to insult the other posters! Wheeee! You get to break the posted Patsfans rules! Wheeee!

Who cares? You "arguments," such as they are, fail.

Got anything to say about the 14th amendment, or is that too far forward of your idea of the ideal America, where slavery was still legal and women couldn't vote?

PFnV

4. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +1,019 / 15 / -8

You do understand you lost again, right?

:rofl:

It's like fish in a barrel.

5. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I asked you 2 times and you ignored both. I'll accept that the Constitution in this case applies to state and local governments (even though you apparently skipped over the 10th amendment in your rush to quote the 14th). So now answer me this: Since when is a Merry Christmas sign considered "a law"?
    I am terribly sorry and I humbly apologize. All this time I thought you were a man; I didn't realize you were a woman. I shall be sure to treat you as such going forward, ma'am.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  6. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

:rofl: :rofl: Hey look everyone! Someone thinks she just "won" an argument on the internet!! :rofl: :rofl:

Just out of curiousity, in the following cartoon which one is you and which one is the other missus?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  7. shirtsleeve

shirtsleeve In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

We at the Wake Up And Smell The Bacon party appreciate your support of the best known cured and smoked pork product ever invented.

However, we do not endorse the ordering of others to make your bacon, unless you are in a restaraunt and are paying for this service.

8. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +1,019 / 15 / -8

LMAO, read the 10th, bought the T-shirt. Evidently, so did Justices Black and Frankfurter, and are not impressed by your ardent belief that civil rights should not be protected other than in the laws made by the Congress.

So once again, read the link, move your lips if it helps you understand, and move on.

Dot org.

Just threw in the last bit to see how much you sputter insulting rubbish, having thoroughly lost the actual point in question.

LMAO yeah, someone is wrong on the internet. A whole lot of 'em are. That's why the supreme court's not a chat-room on stormfront, and the constitution's not a bumper sticker you slap on the car once you're done with the convenient war-on-terror violations/excuses.

Meh, we'll see what comes of Tuesday's changes. Personally, I'm thinking the poor quality of thought on the rabid right should result in something other than what we're seeing predicted in the polls - but there is something to be said for the legions of marching morons theory as well.

If the pubbies win the house, we're looking at 2 years of deadlock and useless subpoenas rather than actual policy.

From what I can tell, the sort of tripe you're peddling in this thread, sophomoric "yer a girl" insults and all, constitutes the level of intellectual rigor we can expect from the right - in fact, it's probably the commanding heights of that cognitive landscape.

Are we that dumb as a nation? Remains to be seen.

PFnV

9. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I sure hope so. Considering the current President is dead set on running this nation into the ground, I'll take 2 years of deadlock ahead of his policies any day of the week.
    Yeah, because you would never resort to insults. No, not you. Never ever never. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

10. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +1,019 / 15 / -8

Funny once, twice as funny the second time, right?

So all sideshows aside, once again, it's clear to you that you have no point, and that's how we should all read your inability to come back to the standard, well-known Constitutional law on the extension of civil rights beyond congressional laws, right?

You do know that Alabama's schools weren't segregated because Congress passed a law declaring that in some states, but not others, white and black kids would go to separate schools, right?

When segregation went away, it was nationwide. And when the states and localities thought they were above the supreme law of the land, the Feds had to step in and enforce desegregation. This is why.

Or do you believe that the states should be able to segregate their schools, by state or local law?

Wait, no, don't answer that! Re- re-post a childish cartoon!

What a punk.

PFnV

11. TBradyOwnsYou

TBradyOwnsYou 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Exactly!

No matter who is getting what they want in today's society, someone else is getting offended. :(

I would argue in America that Christmas has gone beyond a religious tradition. I do not however think "Merry Christmas" should be required and it certainly shouldn't be done in October!!

I will avoid the obvious jokes as I found out later in this thread where your cheerios got peed in and I will instead return this thread to it's first hijacking. :)
    Christmas.
    The "holidays" are a time of year that MrsP pointed out a few times doesn't matter what religion or non religion you celebrate the "point" is the same. It's a time to celebrate happiness and brotherhood. The point of the season is to be happy and to share that happiness. America is slowing killing Christmas, not because they are making it more "PC" but because they're pushing it to a 4 month holiday based on consumerism.
    I get home hopefully a bit before Christmas this year and that is a big deal. I'm not going to church. I'm not going to even say the word "jesus" unless I stub my toe. It's important to me because it's just a beautiful time of the year and I want to spend it with my wife.
    If I see someone during the week leading up to Christmas, I will generally say "Merry Christmas". Certianly not out of malice or anything, just simply because that is the "norm" in my area. If someone were to say to me "happy holidays" or even "Happy Chanuka" (seriously, if you want that to be more popular, make it easier to spell :p) I wouldn't be offended. I'd react just the same as to a Merry Christmas. It doesn't refer to my beliefs, but it's nothing to get mad over. I absolutely HATE those atheist losers that fight tooth and nail to get any referance to "god" or "christmas" gone from everywhere. Dude, I understand. I'm anti-religion too, but you forcing everyone to adhere to your b.s. views is the same reason I'm anti-religion! Why can't everyone just let everyone believe whatever they want and just respect and love each other as humans?
    As for bacon. I think if I had to choose between a religion that said "no pork" or "no beef" I'd go no pork. I love me some beef! (I'm anti-hindu?!)

12. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Well since it obviously irritates you so much, and since you asked so nicely, here you go! Now get back in the kitchen and make me some bacon and eggs ayyyyyararrhrrrhhghghghhghg.

[​IMG]

13. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +1,019 / 15 / -8

Hey, I don't care if people "Merry Christmas" their little hearts out. Doing it pointedly when I've made it clear it's an issue, and you're the waiter, means you get a lean tip.

The story I related here has to do w/the waiter extending his "War for Christmas" to his job.

If that is not what he is doing, too bad... he obviously, despite repeated cues, wanted to extend wishes that I celebrate his holiday. After 3 tries at guiding him gently toward recognition of what he was doing, if he's too stupid to understand that not everybody is a Christian, that's as bad as pointedly extending some trifling "culture war" point at the expense of your customers.

Sorry if the dude lives in a bubble, but it's sort of like talking to someone who idly scratches his forehead with his middle finger. It might be an unrelated gesture, but more likely he is trying to tick you off.

Were I a Christian, I should think I would want to extend love and fellow-feeling and the like. Those who are all concerned about establishing Christianity above other confessional groups via their campaign to say "Merry Christmas" to everyone in every context and every venue are not wishing them a "Merry" anything. They are trying to make others feel secondary by universalizing a specific group's greetings.

I would not expect to cheerily greet people with an "Odin Loves You!" and expect religious monotheists, whether Christian, Muslim, or Jew, to think highly of me. They'd think I was trying to tick them off. Same thing with this campaign to over-emphasize "I wanna say Christmas to EVERYBODY!!!! I want the state to say Christmas!!!! I want Christmas in my public schools and my government!!! JESUS DIED TO LOWER YOUR TAXES!!!!" or whatever.

I don't give a damn if somebody walking down the street or for that matter in my office says "Merry Christmas" - but in my office they probably wouldn't. If someone doesn't know me, they're just sharing their holiday good-feeling.

What I object to is this new ideological point of fighting a Christmas War every year, whereby the majority complains that there is not enough foisting of their culture on minorities. The entire culture runs on your calendar, dudes - and all you do is complain that we've started to observe others' holidays as well, in some cases.

The majority hates ceding power that it has assumed through tyranny of the majority in the past. When equality and diversity - the American way - becomes even slightly more prevalent, there is a backlash. This "War for Christmas" rubbish is precisely such a backlash.

14. TBradyOwnsYou

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Curious:
    Do you/did you do the whole Santa Claus thing with your kids?

15. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +763 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

Curiouser - do you do Hanukkah with your family? Or Ramadan?

And if not, why would you even ask?

16. TBradyOwnsYou

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I do not. I ask because in my experience, people who are NOT Christian still do Santa/presents which is what I do as well, even though I am not Christian. I was wondering if this was common or if maybe other faiths ignore it completely and do their own thing.
    Let me be blunt. The majority of what I know about Hanukkah I learned from Adam Sandler. So ya, I don't mean to be offensive if asking it is, I was just curious if you guys did the Santa thing, which would be more similar to my view of Christmas, which is less secular and more commercial, or if it maybe interferes with your particular celebrational, um, SOPs?

17. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +763 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

Ah, ok, sorry. I'll try to answer for Mr since he's at work right now.

No, his family did not celebrate Christmas or have Santa when he was growing up. I do understand that "Santa" is kinda sorta secular, but not really since he's nothing more than a basterdized version of St. Nicholas - which is still a Christian concept.

It's probably a personal preference. There were a fair amount of Jews in the town I raised my kids in and a few of them celebrated the Santa side of the holiday but most simply went out for Chinese. I think alot depends on how religious the parents are. Orthodox Jews would never celebrate it - Reformed Jews might bow down to guilt at "depriving" their kids but most won't. They have Hanukkah, after all, so why bother? I also worked with some Orthodox Christians who did not celebrate on Christmas Day but waited until their holiday came around.

There are more and more "mixed marriages" nowdays, too, which means that the kids get to celebrate both parent's religious holidays - or neither.

Even tradition can be flexible.