Welcome to PatsFans.com

Will We Reach This Point

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Harry Boy, Oct 21, 2010.

1. shirtsleeve

shirtsleeve In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Because there are people sitting around the breakfast table eating bacon and liking it. Bacon is on cheeseburgers everywhere. Because bacon is the most beloved of breakfast meats. Because there are people enjoying bacon wrapped around their scallops or filet mignon.
    Wake Up And Smell The Bacon!
    [​IMG]

2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +835 / 2 / -9

Because they are Loons and they know us Neo Cons prefer "Merry Christmas"

:rocker:

3. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +624 / 13 / -6

#24 Jersey

And is there some reason that you "Neo-Cons" must always get what you prefer regardless of the preferences of others? Some reason that you feel more entitled, more deserving, more special than anyone else?

4. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +297 / 3 / -4

Ah, so wishing somebody "Happy Holidays" is a thinly veiled ruse intended solely to upset you "neocons."

I guess that brings up 3 questions.
    Can you think of any other reasons one might say " Happy holidays"?
    How do they know the person they're speaking to is a neocon?
    and
    If that's what they're trying to achieve, why do you and the others get upset, thereby giving them what you think they're shooting for?

5. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +835 / 2 / -9

Now I'm a racist because "I Love Bacon"
    :singing::singing:

6. shirtsleeve

shirtsleeve In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Its clear the meaning behind my lighthearted satire was either lost or ignored...

To me these are clear constitutional issues. The first amendment makes it clear that one has the right to say anything, including Merry Christmas. It is also the right of others to instead wish Happy Holidays. It also is clear that Christianity is not to be adopted as a state religion.

The bacon issue is clearly a property rights issue.

7. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +835 / 2 / -9

1 They think it's "cool" to change tradition.

2 They don't, it makes them feel sarcastic and gooey, they are usually people who will go out of their way to park in a no parking zone.

3 They are trying to change our tradition, they are simply "ball busters"

MERRY CHRISTMAS

iT DOESN'T BOTHER ME THE WAY OTHER CULTURES TREAT THEIR HOLIDAYS AND I HAVE NO INTEREST IN CHANGING ANYTHING THEY SAY OR DO, GOOD LUCK TO THEM.

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY

8. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +297 / 3 / -4

No surprise, you still haven't hit on the most simple reasons...

I guess it's easier to continue living out your persecution bias, as amusing as that is for a Christian male in America.

Eh, knowing folks like you somehow get upset by the well-intentioned greeting "Happy Holidays" is just an added bonus come the holidays. Please keep it up, if only for my personal amusement.

9. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +624 / 13 / -6

#24 Jersey

Whose "tradition," Harry? Or is there only one?

Are they? Or are you trying to change their's?

Obviously you do or you wouldn't be bringing it up in October. Nor would you be upset or offended when and if someone says "Happy Holidays," to you.

Happy Holidays to you, too, Harry.

10. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think a better question is why would anybody get upset at "Merry Christmas"?

11. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +297 / 3 / -4

I certainly agree that nobody should be upset by it.

But do people get upset by it? I've never heard of that -- unlike the "war on Christmas" crowd.

12. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Actually, yeah, some people do get upset by it. I remember there was a sign that said "Merry Christmas" in a community in which I lived in town hall. Sure enough, for some reason, people complained and the sign had to be taken down.

So if you've never heard of people getting upset at the phrase "Merry Christmas" then I recommend you open your eyes and pick up a newspaper every once in a while.

13. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +297 / 3 / -4

Was the sign on government property or private property?

The public property issue is very different from individuals getting upset by a greeting. So I'll ask again, do people get upset by being wished "Merry Christmas" like some people get upset be being wished "Happy Holidays"?

14. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Well I said it was Town Hall so you can probably infer from that that it was public, government property.
    You can ask it however many times you want and the answer ain't going to change. Yes, people do get upset and offended over the phrase "Merry Christmas" all the time. I just gave you one (of many) examples of such. But if you want to remain willingly ignorant, I can't help you.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  15. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +297 / 3 / -4

Yes, and you're apparently remaining willfully ignorant of the difference between a public property issue and bring upset at a personal holiday greeting, as Harry and the rest of the "war on Christmas" folks get.

I've never had anybody get upset with me for wishing them a Merry Christmas. If it happens to you, maybe they just don't like you. (I can't imagine why that would be the case.)

16. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Excuse me, but you said you've "never heard" of people getting upset at the phrase "Merry Christmas." I gave you an example of such a thing. I could easily come up with many more if I wanted. Now you're trying to qualify your remarks (and doing a pretty lame job of it) since I proved you wrong.
    Don't hate the playa, hate the game. It's your own fault your statements are being proved incorrect.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  17. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

They call it the holiday season because there's lots of them. Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years, and if you stretch it just a little, Super Sunday.

I can see why Neocons don't like New Years. Its likely they don't get invited to the better parties; but what's the problem with Thanksgiving and Super Sunday?

18. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +624 / 13 / -6

#24 Jersey

You gave him an example of people getting upset at the phrase "Merry Christmas" being displayed in or on a public building - which is somewhat different than someone walking by and wishing you a "Merry Christmas," or having a nativety set placed in the front yard of a private residence.

Anyone can wish anyone a Merry Anything without incurring anger or anything beyond minor irritation, likewise any private citizen can choose to display whatever he/she wants on his/her own property without fear of reprisal, however, putting a religious greeting on display in or on a governmental building is not the same thing.

It is not the government's job to promote any one religion over another, nor is it their right or privlege to do so. In fact, it is expressly forbidden in The Constitution.

It is not irritating to have someone wish you a "Merry Christmas" even if it is not a holiday you celebrate or believe in if it is done in the spirit of brotherhood and friendship. If that was, indeed, the spirit in which it was given then I see no reason for the original greeter to be irritated if he/she receives a "Happy Holidays to you, too" in reply since I would assume the return greeting was being given in the same spirit and each individual is entitled to his/her favorite phrase.

What is irritating is when people, such as Harry-Boy here, refuse to acknowledge that the United States is full of people who do NOT celebrate Christmas, who do NOT celebrate the birth of Christ and who do NOT owe him or any other Christian a "Merry Christmas" in return and are perfectly justified in returning his greeting with a "Happy Holidays" instead.

Christmas is a religious belief, celebrating Christmas is a religious tradition and religious traditions belong within the religion which created them - they are not something which need to be honored by people of other religions.

In fact, it seems very UNchristian-like to constantly harp on people's religious differences to the extent that Harry does in regards to "Merry Christmas" vs "Happy Holidays," doesn't it? Christ was all about tolerance, acceptance, consideration, peace, love and understanding, wasn't He?

People like Harry who begin with the "Merry Christmases" in October, who repeatedly insist, wrongly, that a Christian tradition is an American tradition, who demand that people honor his tradition, exchange his greeting and celebrate his holiday do far more to foster ill-will and promote bigotry than any random "Merry Christmas" which is actually uttered in the spirit of good will and friendship ever will - because it is glaringly obvious that good will and brotherhood are the farthest things from Harry's mind that there is.

19. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +737 / 11 / -7

Yeah, they are starting this bullcrap earlier this year.

True story:

The wife and I were at Olive Garden a few years back, and the waiter kept wishing us a "Merry Christmas." Said it when we sat down. I said "Happy Holidays," hoping he'd get the hint.

Here's the hint: I prefer the latter, being Jewish. I find it refreshing that there's actually an alternative out there that allows for everybody's religion, but that's almost secondary. I've been sick and tired my whole life of buttwipes assuming I worship their man-god. I've responded with a "Merry Christmas," assuming it was out of ignorance that they foisted this crap on others. I have even volunteered the phrase (and still do,) when proactively wishing them a happy holiday, knowing it is the holiday they celebrate.

So, I sent this hint to the waiter, who - in this interaction - was waiting on me, not vice versa.

Back comes the waiter after we've examined the menu. We order. He goes off to get our order with a hardy "Merry Christmas, folks!" I respond "Happy holidays!"

We get our order. We eat. The service is otherwise fine. Back comes the waiter with the check. With a final "Merry Christmas," he leaves it on the table. And on the check, if memory serves, is written "Merry Christmas!"

I pay the check with an insultingly low tip, and write "Happy Holidays!"

Here's the point: This guy was either too dense to know he was being a jackass, or he was "fighting the war for Christmas."

Fine. If the first case pertained, maybe he learned something. If he second, he has decided to make food service the post he will man in his ridiculous "war." Okay fine. If you're in a war, you have to expect to get a lean tip now and again.

We're not all Christians, and we don't all celebrate Christmas. I am glad to wish those who do a merry Christmas. If I don't know, I am glad to say "happy holidays."

The goal is for the person you say it to to be happier, not to make him or her knuckle under to the majority culture.

Or at least that's what Jesus would say about it, remember him?

Oh yeah, but then again, he celebrated hannukah.

Go figger. I'm sure there was a popular movement to make everybody say "Merry Saturnalia!" at the time.

PFnV

20. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +835 / 2 / -9

I have to admit Mr & Mrs put up a pretty convincing argument in the defense of "Happy Holidays"

Being who I am this is how I would have handled Mr & Mrs waiter who kept wishing them a Merry Christmas were I a Jew.

Waiter "hello, merry christmas"
    Harry "f-ck you"

:singing:

All kidding aside when I was working we had a few Jews working with us we were all pretty close as we had been working with each other for years, they would always say each year "we're going up to The White Mountains sking to get away from all this Jesus Sh!t"

My solution to "Merry Christmas" if I were a Jew would simply be this,

Christian "hello, merry christmas"
    Me "i'm a jew"