PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will We Pick Another Dud at RB

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I'm fine with Dillon, Faulk and Pass. But we have not drafted a potential starting running back in many years. And somehow I'm uncomfortable with no backups. It is not unusual to ahve an injury, and occasionally there are two. I think most teams carry five RB/FB and therefore don't need to sign off the scrap heap to play on Sunday.

Pass has made his living as a special teamers, #3 running back and occasional fullback. He is a great bottom rung player.

Bottom line, I think we should add at least one running back.

mgteich said:
I'm fine with Dillon, Faulk and Pass.

If you don't mind watching some other teams play the Super Bowl next February, I agree we we keep Dillon, Faulk, and Pass.

mgteich said:
I'm fine with Dillon, Faulk and Pass. But we have not drafted a potential starting running back in many years. And somehow I'm uncomfortable with no backups. It is not unusual to ahve an injury, and occasionally there are two. I think most teams carry five RB/FB and therefore don't need to sign off the scrap heap to play on Sunday.

Pass has made his living as a special teamers, #3 running back and occasional fullback. He is a great bottom rung player.

no rb this year... round 1 OG, round 2 WR, round 3 TE, round 4 special teams.
RB comes next year (who would you bump off this team for a RB?)

OK, which of the three would you cut and when.

mikey said:
If you don't mind watching some other teams play the Super Bowl next February, I agree we we keep Dillon, Faulk, and Pass.

I'm hoping if a 1st round quality back slips to #21 that BB takes him. And odds are one of the 3 behind Bush (White, DeAngelo & Maroney) should be on the board, maybe even 2.

It seems every year draftnik/FF-types project RBs to go much higher than they actually go.

But I'd really prefer they take a top RB than try to scout a gem in the later rounds, as one thing BB & SP have proved is that they are not so hot at spotting late round RB & TE talent.

Who would I cut to have four running backs when most have five. How about Heath Evans?

I've been waiting since Hannah for the patriots to chose a pure guard in the first round. I suspect I'll wait another year.

PatsWorldChamps said:
no rb this year... round 1 OG, round 2 WR, round 3 TE, round 4 special teams.
RB comes next year (who would you bump off this team for a RB?)

I can not see spending a first round pick on RB, unless someone special like White or Williams falls to them because of other teams needs.

More realistically I could see a guy like Joseph Addai being picked in the 2nd or 3rd round.

mgteich said:

why would you waste a 1st round pick on a RB? we are set for next year; any RB can come in and play in 07.

We passed on Steven Jackson & Kevin Jones 2 years ago. Made out pretty well. True, we had just traded for Dillon but can you really say either RB taken in 2004 are really STUDS?

What we need is a decent back-up.

I hope we don't pick another dud at running back but I can tell you this much we have many options for that first round pick and I honestly think someones going to slip and if its one of our big needs and he's anywhere close to the talent of a Vince Wilfork I will be very happy if the Pats got him. But I think our first rounder will be on the defensive side of the ball this year.

The trouble with a Round 1 RB is that so many of them are busts. It's sort of like DL --- only like 50% of 1st-round DL turn out to be good (the Pats beat the odds here) yet you sort of have to keep trying, because established star DLmen are so expensive.

RB is a little different. Rather than waste a 1st-round pick on someone who may get battered and retire in 2 years, find a proven 26-year-old NFL RB and pay him 2 million.

Big_Os_Hometown said:
We passed on Steven Jackson & Kevin Jones 2 years ago. Made out pretty well. True, we had just traded for Dillon but can you really say either RB taken in 2004 are really STUDS?

What we need is a decent back-up.

And there are days when I wonder if that was the best move for the long term. As it turned out Jackson or Jones would have fallen to us ,even though nobody expected it entering the draft.

I don't think Jackson is fully proven yet, but put him in a different situation i.e. some place without Marshall Faulk trying to hang on and an organization not in complete chaos, his first two years might have been more productive almost anywhere else. So the question is, could we have won the SB in 2004 with Jackson as our RB...IMO the answer to that question is yes.

This is a classic hindsight in 20/20 scenario. Obviously taking Jackson or any other RB four days after you trade for Dillon wasn't going to happen and one of the big stories that draft day was how far Jackson fell.

Last edited:
shakadave said:
RB is a little different. Rather than waste a 1st-round pick on someone who may get battered and retire in 2 years, find a proven 26-year-old NFL RB and pay him 2 million.

I think it will be extremely difficult to find a proven RB that is only 26 years old. If he's proven, he's either locked up to a long term contract or is just coming off of his rookie contract and will be demanding alot more than 2 million per year. The way it looks to me is we either continue to sign good RBs that are on their last legs (there are a few good ones this offseason) or bite the bullet and spend a first day pick on one.

I'd be fine drafting Corey's replacement, but don't think it's necessary. You guys are panicking.

patsox23 said:
I'd be fine drafting Corey's replacement, but don't think it's necessary. You guys are panicking.

Yeah, we are panicking and rightfully so. Dillon is 31 years old. There are alot more RBs shutting down at this age than there are RBs still dominating the leauge at this age. I for one would be extremely surprised if Dillon looks even slightly better than he did this season.

We'll have to see. The idea that it's JUST because of Corey's age seems a bit sky-is-falling, imo. With the inconsistency of the OL - which was obvious - and the injuries he played through (which may or may not be due to age), I think there are plenty of reasons to think he might be okay. He'll certainly, CERTAINLY be superior to Antowain Smith, and we won TWO Super Bowls with him.

Oh, and by the way, I thought Corey ran FINE against the Broncos. In fact, for the most part, he looked very good.

huskeralk said:
I think it will be extremely difficult to find a proven RB that is only 26 years old. If he's proven, he's either locked up to a long term contract or is just coming off of his rookie contract and will be demanding alot more than 2 million per year. The way it looks to me is we either continue to sign good RBs that are on their last legs (there are a few good ones this offseason) or bite the bullet and spend a first day pick on one.

Running backs can usually step right in. Even if Corey has a great season next year, we need to groom someone.

We have room for a running back right now.

We have an excess at the broken Swiss Army knife position, (Klecko), for instance.

With 6 picks in the fist 4 rounds we can pick up a RB and maybe an OLineman and use the first for a DB.

I don't know how we get young at linebacker, but it's a good crop and it's time to stock the pond.

What does everyone think of Brian Calhoun? He might be there in the 2nd round

Last edited:
SoonerPatriot said:
And there are days when I wonder if that was the best move for the long term. As it turned out Jackson or Jones would have fallen to us ,even though nobody expected it entering the draft.

I don't think Jackson is fully proven yet, but put him in a different situation i.e. some place without Marshall Faulk trying to hang on and an organization not in complete chaos, his first two years might have been more productive almost anywhere else. So the question is, could we have won the SB in 2004 with Jackson as our RB...IMO the answer to that question is yes.

This is a classic hindsight in 20/20 scenario. Obviously taking Jackson or any other RB four days after you trade for Dillon wasn't going to happen and one of the big stories that draft day was how far Jackson fell.

Steven Jackson per NFL.com 1046 yrds, 8 tds, 4.1 ypc, 320 rcv, yds 2 td.
not only is this above he avg, but he did it with faulk steeling almost 600 total yds. not bad #'s at all. i think he proved himself this year.

Last edited:
I'm NOT fine .....

mgteich said:

With Dillon, Faulk and Pass (sounds like a law firm)......Dillon, unfortuneatly appears to be on the downside of his career ( I love the guy and hope I am wrong IMHO......but it appears that he has LOST alot of speed and fire even when healthy.....despite coming into camp in the best shape of his career......you just can't always fool father time).......Faulk is a great sporadic player that can come into the game and add a spark....we have all seen what happens when you give Kevin the rock too much...no insult meant...it is just a FACT that has plagued him throughout college and the pro's. Pass, although he has shown flashes of brilliance this year....is another good change of pace back....but is not going to be an every down back.....and I just can't get over the "hamstring/fumble incident"..........

So, in answer to your question ..YES WE NEED A RB...and can't afford any more "duds" in the draft..............I think it should be a priority this year to go after a stud college RB......then see what Dillon can bring....and go from there.....I would not be surprised to see them CUT Corey....and bring in another FA vet RB as well..........one man's opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes