PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will we keep a 6-8 pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

carolinatony

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Since the 49ers won and our pick went from 2 to 6, does this change anything in your opinion?
I know we wouldn't have paid a #2-4 pick because of the money but does picking after #5 change anything?
I don't know the money levels but does picking later mean we may keep it and not trade down? Be nice to take a LB in the top 10.
Whay do you think?

I still think they try to drop out of the top 10. Money drops of drastically at #10 pick.
Last year:
#7 pick 6years 6.75M / yr
#8 pick 5year 6.25M / yr

#10 thru 13 picks averaged about 2.75M / yr

I dont think the Pats will be trading down if they find talent... and that includes if they pick at #2. I'm actually a little pissed that Cinci lost. wtf?

We'll see how the draft breaks down. Right now Gholston and Malcolm Jenkins look like they'll be going around there. Of course, #6 could be a good trade down spot as the #1 QB, as of now, is looking to be in the latter part of the top ten and QB are often traded up for.

I dont think the Pats will be trading down if they find talent... and that includes if they pick at #2. I'm actually a little pissed that Cinci lost. wtf?

Yeah, that's going to slide us down 1-2 spots I think. I don't see Atlanta winning a game. That will put them at 2. I think St.L probably won't win a game. But, Jesters finish with Herm at home. I think they win that. SF loses out. We have 4th pick.

Miami - G. Dorsey
ATL - D. McFadden
St. L - J. Long
NE - C.Long,V.Gholston or Malcolm Jenkins.

Since the 49ers won and our pick went from 2 to 6, does this change anything in your opinion?
I know we wouldn't have paid a #2-4 pick because of the money but does picking after #5 change anything?
I don't know the money levels but does picking later mean we may keep it and not trade down? Be nice to take a LB in the top 10.
Whay do you think?

FWIW, the Pats currently have the #5 pick, not the #6 pick.

I'm worried about San Fran...Tampa locked up their division today (though they'll play hard)...

Thankfully (from this perspective) is that Pitt lost...If Cleveland wins, they'll be alive for the division...If they lose, they'll need the win for the playoffs.

I'm worried about San Fran...Tampa locked up their division today (though they'll play hard)...

Thankfully (from this perspective) is that Pitt lost...If Cleveland wins, they'll be alive for the division...If they lose, they'll need the win for the playoffs.

Tampa loses a tiebreaker to Seattle *(lost head to head), so they are both tied at 9-5 right now. Seattle hosts Baltimore (has any team given up more than Baltimore?) in another late game next Sunday, so Tampa still could move up to the #3 seed, which would allow them to play a much weaker WC team. So although they don't have that much to play for, they do have something.

Cleveland will most likely not need the game in week to make the playoffs, although the seeding is up in the air, Cleveland can still catch Pittsburg (although they have to finish ahead of them, (they got swept)) for the division, and then who to play (Pitts or San Diego).

Bottomline if SF loses it's last two games, the worst the pick could be is #5.

Yes, at #5 or 6 I can definitely see the Pats using that pick. They can draft an outstanding player from that position.

ATL most definatley will NOT be taking a RB.

Yes, at #5 or 6 I can definitely see the Pats using that pick. They can draft an outstanding player from that position.

It's certainly the point where need and value start to intersect -- if, e.g., they think Gholston is the real deal. But it's also the point where more teams could get into the trade-up market, so more unpredictable overall.

ATL def needs a QB more than anything else at this point...

I see mcfadden as the only player in the draft worth 6 mil a season

It's certainly the point where need and value start to intersect -- if, e.g., they think Gholston is the real deal. But it's also the point where more teams could get into the trade-up market, so more unpredictable overall.

At least it gives us more to talk about, maybe 8-10 players are in the mix to be taken in the top 5. With pick #2 there really were 1 or 2 potential picks.

I still say trade back and it should be easier from #5 than #2.

I agree if there is a quality talent available, the trade back from #5 should be much easier than from #2, provided the Pats don't try and bleed the other team too badly.

I still think CB Jenkins (of South Florida) is the best overall CB in this draft and CB Lowery of San Jose State is the CB with the best ball skills in this draft.

I do not think J Long will fall to us at #5, but if he did, that would be enticing.

According to the draft value charts we could theoretically trade the number 5 for roughly the 12th, and 44th(second round.)

That would give us a good 1rd pick, 2 seconds, and 2 thirds, may not break the bank and allow to get some good talent to groom.

ATL most definatley will NOT be taking a RB.

Why not? Is Jerious Norwood going to be your workhorse? I think they should take McFadden, and will be somewhat surprised if they don't. He'll sell tickets, jerseys, and immediately be their 1st and 2nd down back. Sorry Warrick.

I understand that they need a quarterback, but I just don't see a quarterback in this draft worthy of a top 10 pick. I don't. There seems to be a bunch of late-1st-2nd round talent. Do you think Brian Brohm or Matt Ryan is going to create much of a buzz among the ticket-buying public? It wouldn't excite me.

If I'm the Falcons, I'll roll the dice with McFadden, and try to acquire a young Vet quarterback (Seneca Wallace, Matt Cassell, Billy Volek, AJ Feeley, JP Losman, Huard, one of the Flying McCown brothers [OK, not so young] etc). Then I'll draft a QB in the second through fourth rounds (Ainge, Brennan, Flacco, Kellar). Heck, you could probably trade the second round pick to Cleveland for Brady Quinn, whom I'm not sold on, but I think is a better prospect than any QB in this draft. With an offense built around the running game and Alge Crumpler, you can get a way with a game-manager type, as long as he has a respectable arm.

Why not? Is Jerious Norwood going to be your workhorse? I think they should take McFadden, and will be somewhat surprised if they don't. He'll sell tickets, jerseys, and immediately be their 1st and 2nd down back. Sorry Warrick.

I understand that they need a quarterback, but I just don't see a quarterback in this draft worthy of a top 10 pick. I don't. There seems to be a bunch of late-1st-2nd round talent. Do you think Brian Brohm or Matt Ryan is going to create much of a buzz among the ticket-buying public? It wouldn't excite me.

If I'm the Falcons, I'll roll the dice with McFadden, and try to acquire a young Vet quarterback (Seneca Wallace, Matt Cassell, Billy Volek, AJ Feeley, JP Losman, Huard, one of the Flying McCown brothers [OK, not so young] etc). Then I'll draft a QB in the second through fourth rounds (Ainge, Brennan, Flacco, Kellar). Heck, you could probably trade the second round pick to Cleveland for Brady Quinn, whom I'm not sold on, but I think is a better prospect than any QB in this draft. With an offense built around the running game and Alge Crumpler, you can get a way with a game-manager type, as long as he has a respectable arm.

I agree with this train of thought, unless there is a Carson Palmer type available you actually set your franchise back my taking a QB. Jimmy Johnson used to say "Get dominant on the offensive and defensive lines and then find QB".

Cleveland has done a really nice job with their offense (Winslow, Edwards, Lewis plus a very strong offensive line) + middle of the road veteran QB = Good offensive team.

Agreed. This team needs some potential starters. They have to start

rebuilding their defense with younger players. An early pick would give

them a player who would be a Patriot for 6 years.

They target established players and use picks as value

Think of the 2 guys they played this year they would love to have most on the team...Ed Reed and the Cowboys' Barber(remember that run out of the end zone? Reminds me of something Welker would do against us).
I think we will have more needs than ever. The money will be spent on Moss, it almost forces you to trade down. I thought Atlanta would have been a good partner before the coach left making D.Hall back in good graces. Their best way of getting BACKWARDS in the draft is by trading UP....If Jerry Jones wants McFadden, we will need to trade up to get him,giving up our 2nd(maybe more). Now we trade back the 1st pick to Dallas for their 2 firsts and Barber. What alot of people dont realize is how much it hurt us to lose our first because we can tender restricted players(Barber is well worth a 1st and 3rd considering our position and his fit but now we cant). With 2 lower round picks you can likely get a corner and trade back again or for 09 and of course use the picks on restriced free agents. BB likes proven players more, especially at linebacker. The rest of the draft and free agency can be spent replacing guys who likely wont be back like Seau, Bruschi, Colvin, Samuel, and maybe even Gay. They value intelligent proven players more than projects. They arent worried about grooming anyone, they are moving too fast to worry about any one player like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes