PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will we finally run the "fast break" most of the game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Palm Beach Pats Fan

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
-We were not running this at all in the first Ravens matchup, so they haven't dealt with it.

-Their defenders are older and more bulk-oriented rather than speed-oriented.

-They just came off of playing 5 quarters of football at altitude.

-Suggs and Lewis in particular don't appear to be in as good shape, fitness-wise, as they have been in the past.

-Their pass rush will be nullified by confusion and sucking wind.

The downside:

-Gronk and Woody are usually core members of the fast break lineup. Can Hoo-man and Vereen fill in? I think Vereen for sure, if he handles the blocking, He can certainly set up the screen game. TE #2 is perhaps the bigger concern.

-Ray Lewis will be making the D calls. I am not sure that you will confuse him, but you can wear him out.

bottom line:
I say that for once we take the ball if we win the toss, roll out the fast break offense, RELEASE THE KRACKEN, or however you want to put it, and try to demoralize the Raven defense early.

I hope that we have a whole assortment of plays ready for one-syllable calls from the line with the fast break package, and we can use this >50% of the game and test their stamina.

Last edited:
Rotate the RBs to keep them fresh, run the tempo that was used in the Denver game - Baltimore will have no time to get set and will have no option but to sit back and play passive, it will also, of course gas them too.

Apparently, Lewis had the flu in Denver as well.

How he was still standing at the end, I have no idea.

It will be interesting if we go with Woodhead (banged-up thumb) over Vereen.

I love Woody, but I think I'd ride the hot hand. Vereen's fly pattern vs. Houston will get people's attention even if he's a decoy.

You have to think that between AHern, Wes, and Vereen/Woody that someone is single-covered by a LB or safety. I'd attack anyone by Ed Reed.

The downside:

-Gronk and Woody are usually core members of the fast break lineup. Can Hoo-man and Vereen fill in? I think Vereen for sure, if he handles the blocking, He can certainly set up the screen game. TE #2 is perhaps the bigger concern.

-

How can you even ask that question having seen them run the "fast break" most of the game quite successfully vs Houston using Hoo and Vereen?

Gronk went out 1st series.

I was just mentioning possible downsides- believe me, I want to attack.

It strikes me that Baltimore has a lot smarter players on defense and are less tied to one way to play than was Houston (Wade Phillips man coverage). We have a downgrade in experience and perhaps in versatility using Vereen and Hoo-man that Baltimore may be more ready to exploit.

Vereen though showed the deep speed that Woody lacks, a plus. With him I just worry if he will make the right blitz pick-up read.

We need to wear these guys down, for sure.

I was just mentioning possible downsides- believe me, I want to attack.

It strikes me that Baltimore has a lot smarter players on defense and are less tied to one way to play than was Houston (Wade Phillips man coverage). We have a downgrade in experience and perhaps in versatility using Vereen and Hoo-man that Baltimore may be more ready to exploit.

Vereen though showed the deep speed that Woody lacks, a plus. With him I just worry if he will make the right blitz pick-up read.

We need to wear these guys down, for sure.

Baltimore is also a lot older, slower, and will be more physically spent than the Texans.

In short, yes. We will use it a lot when it is to our advantage. The Pats will be playing at home so crowd noise will also be in their favor. With the Ravens scrambling to make substitions and even getting lined up in time, the combination of the fast break and timely quick snaps will have that aged defense gasping for air by the time the 4th quarter roles around.

The 'Lightning Attack', fastbreak, NASCAR, whatever you call it takes a psychological toll as well as a physical toll. The Pats just put up a 40 burger on a talented Texans defense. I think they will put up at least 30 on the Ravens. And then the question will be, can Flacco match that scoring output? It will be a test for our secondary to maintain the lead against the Ravens.

Last edited:
Lets run the quick offense all game!

One huge key to this game is the Hurry up offense, the No huddle offense, and the 2-minute offense!! Patriots need to run a combination of these on Sunday and have a high offensive snap volume!!

The Ravens defense during the regular season only averaged 68 snaps. When the Pats played them in week 3 the Pats offense had 77 snaps.

The older Ravens have played a lot of snaps these playoffs already.

Vs the Colts the Ravens defense played 87 snaps

Vs the Broncos in double OT the Ravens played 87 snaps

The Patriots need to keep up this type of offensive pace for this game. Can they... you bet they can, look at some of these snap numbers the Pats have put this season....

Week 5 vs Broncos the Patriots offense had 89 snaps.

Week 6 vs the Seahawks the Patriots offense had 85 snaps.

Week 15 vs the 49'ers the Patriots offense had 92 snaps.

Lets get 85-90 snaps this game and run the old Ray Lewis, Ed Reed & Co. ragged!!

Re: Lets run the quick offense all game!

You can run quick offense if you can convert 3rd downs and get a rhythm going , else it can hurt the team .

You can run quick offense if you can convert 3rd downs and get a rhythm going , else it can hurt the team .

Bingo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What are you going to do when Solder is tired like he was in the 49ers game when the Pats ran 4 straight series at warp speed?

Harbaugh will sub in a fresh guy and dominate. Who will sub for Solder?

Last edited:
See, this is where I think the Pats press the peddle. I think defense goes conservative, McDaniel's let's it loose. He's called a nice offense this year, pulling out weapons, finding versatility. I think BB has full faith in the guy and McDaniel's has a lot of fun toys to play with. The biggest difference this year to last year on the offensive side is the running game and it's McDaniel's. I feel a lot better on that side of the ball this year for that reason. Last year's AFCCG was a poor showing by the offense and a very flat performance - 3 red zone wiff's, no passing TD's. Brady having to leap the pile on 4th down and one for a TD. The run o averaged barely 3 yards a carry. Brady 2 picks. The offense did barely enough to win. The defense did it's job.

I'm not expecting anything crazy on the defensive side of the ball. I do expect the offense to dial it up.

The primary goal of the "warp-speed" offense is not merely to tire players out. It's to exploit bad personnel match-ups that favor the offense, keeping them on the field by preventing the defense from making substitutions. In addition, the secondary goal is to take advantage of disarray after big plays, when the defense needs a few extra seconds to "lock in" mentally. So I don't think you'll see the warp-speed offense all day long, but I do think they'll be looking for as many opportunities to step on the gas as possible.

Think the Patriots will mix up their offensive game plan. Think they're looking to establish the run which then opens up play action. Think they'll go up-tempo for certain plays and certain series. The game itself will dictate what tempo the Patriots want to play in. Personally a ground and pound game will wear out that D as much as no huddle. Pats will do both.
The Patriots are not playing the '85 Bears. This is a good Raven defense but it's nothing special.
The Patriots can play any style and tempo game they want. If they execute they'll win. They are the better team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes