PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will we ever credit the refs for a Pats' win?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gomezcat

Grumpy Englishman.
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Given that some of the posters out there feel that we lost because of the refs, and believe the same to be true about the Denver loss, will those posters be drawing attention to those games when we win (using their logic, not mine) because of the refs? I ask, because I can't think of an example in any sport, in any country, of a coach, fan or player saying, "we won because of the refs and it isn't fair". It's so puzzling why it never happens.
Shouldn't Pats fans be the ones to stand up and change this?

We have friends in other team cities who help with that little detail.

i still applaud walt coleman for the correct interpretation of the tuck rule!

Placing blame on the refs just because your team lost is one of the poorest excuses there is out there. Unless the refs were wearing Patriot uniforms and playing defense in the second half you can’t blame them. Pats fans have become like spoiled children trying to place blame or finger someone when they have to look no where but at the defense. Thirty-two points and 22 first downs in the second half, that’s why they lost.

The “we beat ourselves” excuse doesn’t fly in this one either. Using that excuse is just as bad as blaming the refs. I can remember Patriot fans killing Ram fans after the Super Bowl when the Rams came out with that excuse. Now when you speak to a Pats fan after a loss the other team never plays better, it’s always that they beat themselves.

I respect the hell out of the accomplishments that they have achieved over the last 6 years but they are not going to win ever single game. Pats fans have now been conditioned to believe that the team will never lose. It happens.

Sometims the refs are just to blame for a loss - simple as that.

However, it certainly doesnt happen as frequently as fans of every team make it sound - alot of it stems from an unwillingness to blame your own team (never really been a probelm for Patriots fans) or give the opposition their due.

Its a matter of perspective of course, but I think that the Colts came out and took that game sunday by force of will and having the better team on the field.

You look at the loss to Denver last year and I would say the referees made alot of bad decisions that the majority workd in the favor of the Bronco's.

That was a game we genuinely got shafted out of - one of the worst sporting cliche's is that you should always be able to overcome the adversity of poor, biased, refereeing - in the postseason games are often decided by a key play or two.

NM

the fact is that the refs excuse is so overused that it now always comes off as crying wolf. Games like the Denver one (refs decided the game) get lost amoungst games like Sunday's (it's debatable if the calls were bad or made any difference).

I credit the refs for getting the tuck rule correct :). We don't remember the calls that go our way because we won the games. The games you lose (and the crappy calls in them) tend to stick out more than those you win.

You look at the loss to Denver last year and I would say the referees made alot of bad decisions that the majority workd in the favor of the Bronco's.

That was a game we genuinely got shafted out of - one of the worst sporting cliche's is that you should always be able to overcome the adversity of poor, biased, refereeing - in the postseason games are often decided by a key play or two.

NM
so the 5 turnovers had nothing to do with that, just a FEW key plays...this game we only had one turnover, (lucky with the Maroney fumble) and the Pats lost, I never said that the colts didn't out play us, or we beat ourselves...but the penalties were at crtical times, The patriots can not make those mistakes, and the Colts took advantage of them as any good team would do....You HAVE TO tell me that the PI on Hobbs and the No False start but Offsides didn't have a MAJOR IMPACT on the game that the Pats just couldn't overcome because the Defense was out there more than they should have been!

:mad:

Given that some of the posters out there feel that we lost because of the refs, and believe the same to be true about the Denver loss, will those posters be drawing attention to those games when we win (using their logic, not mine) because of the refs? I ask, because I can't think of an example in any sport, in any country, of a coach, fan or player saying, "we won because of the refs and it isn't fair". It's so puzzling why it never happens.
Shouldn't Pats fans be the ones to stand up and change this?[/quote]

Are you nuts?

Now I know why they drive on the wrong side of the road in Britian.:D

Shouldn't Pats fans be the ones to stand up and change this?[/quote]

Are you nuts?

Now I know why they drive on the wrong side of the road in Britian.:D

One's view of whether we drive on the wrong side depends. As someone who is left-handed, I would have been at a disadvantage when having to draw my sword on my horse. So, yes, I would have preferred riding on the right....
I was, of course, being spectacularly sarcastic and pointing that we ALWAYS here about crap refs from the losers but never the winners. Funny, that. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
1.) 1998 (I think) vs. Buffalo, it was the second straight game in which Bledsoe won the game in the final drive with a broken finger.

the refs won it for us because...

a.)they creditted Shawn Jefferson with a catch on 4th and 9 when he definitely came down out of bounds
b.)they called pass interference call on a hail mary attempt. the call was questionable at best

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes