PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will we draft a running back ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will let you in on a secret, I wasn't going to tell anyone but now I feel obligated.

Here it is, the secret to being a good (or very good or elite) running back in the NFL is.... staying on the field, all the RBs are studs but 3/4 of the college guys just can't handle 200 carries in the NFL.

Not sure this is some major revelation but IMO RB production is related to carries not 40 yard dashes.

I always thought the secret was getting positive yardage when handed the ball. Preferably a lot of positive yardage.

Was he at the combine? And, if so, how does that time compare to his combine time?
Tanked misread the note in Gil Brandt's blog - the 4.24 was his Short Shuttle, which was .06 slower than his Combine ss, but he did improve on his Combine 3-cone.

Ian's Combine 40 was 4.42, his 1.47 10 split was tied for second with a handful of other RBs, only Cory Sheets had a faster 10 split at 1.44

I don't think we will draft a RB, but IMO Wells or Moreno would immediately be near the top of NE's RB food chain and would great a ripple down effect on the rest of the depth.

At this point I am almost researched out, I will check back after all the pro days are done. Most interesting stat I have found this year, Moreno had 128 TDs in high school and over 6,000 yards, 3 state championships. Talk about peaking at 18. 128 TDs, almost seems impossible, 43 in 10 games as a senior. Pretty amazing.

Ideally I would like Rashad Jennings in the 3rd round, but if Moreno is there it would be VERY tempting.

I could see them taking a RB with either of their first two picks. Mostly because they would be able to get the top player at that position. As opposed to fourth best OT or OLB, so on and so forth.

would you take wells is he fell to our 2nd 2nd? i think that would be pretty hard to pass up. i think like most possitions because the pats don't have any needs in reality other than arguably olb. the pats really can just sit and say who is the best player on the board a luxury not to many teams can boast

I do not think we will draft a RB high. We value blitz pickup by our RB as a key skill set.A reason maroney was not in during blitzing down or when playing pass rush based defences in the first 2 yrs. so i really do not see a pick wasted so he can sit and learn while taking a roster spot on blitz pickup.

after faluk the second best guy we had was evans who is gone so i cannot see a non blitzing pickup RB in their using up a roster spot.

Last edited:
Tanked misread the note in Gil Brandt's blog - the 4.24 was his Short Shuttle, which was .06 slower than his Combine ss, but he did improve on his Combine 3-cone.

Ian's Combine 40 was 4.42, his 1.47 10 split was tied for second with a handful of other RBs, only Cory Sheets had a faster 10 split at 1.44

it happens........still decent size for the speed, and he's a pretty good pass catcher out of the backfield.......I know its crowded back there, but the pats should always be on the lookout to upgrade cost-effectively........he'd be good to back up faulks role

it happens........still decent size for the speed, and he's a pretty good pass catcher out of the backfield.......I know its crowded back there, but the pats should always be on the lookout to upgrade cost-effectively........he'd be good to back up faulks role
Most certainly, this kid also did a fine job on blitz-pickup in the Poinsettia Bowl against TCU's #2 ranked defense. He's definitely the Faulkinest RB option I see in this draft class and I'd be whooping if he was drafted on Day Two by NE.

Ideally I would like Rashad Jennings in the 3rd round, but if Moreno is there it would be VERY tempting.

I see him as our comp pick in three. We have to get a back somewhere in the draft.We have three over 30. The Maroney experiment has been a lets not use the word bust, but semi-bust. It was explained to me that we could not trade him because we are $700,000 upside down on his contract in CAP, yet Jerry Jones lets T.O. go at $8m CAP cost. If we can get a taker on a decent pick, I say they pull the trigger. I have been wrong many times before, but if $700k improves the team, so be it. I see him as third string now anyway, with Faulk as the third down guy. Now my cousins are going to roast me.
DW Toys

Last edited:
Here is a kid we can get in the 7th round that is a sleeper from Canada, for the Canadians on the board.

Jamal Lee, Bishops University

This kid is from my Alma Matter so I have fallowed his whole career very close and have seen him run in person. This kid is a real talent who just hap pend to play in Canada. His testing numbers at the CFL combine last month were off the charts and comparable to the NFL combine numbers. He rushed for close to 400 yards in a game last season and I personally have watched 4 games where he has gone over 250 yards. In Canada we throw the ball a lot as we play with three downs on a 65 yard wide field so these running stats are pretty damn good.

Here are a few links on the kid maybe worth a seventh rounder or at least a UDFA contract.

BU - Gaiters

Canuck catches eye of NFL scouts - Sportsnet.ca

CFL.ca - E-Camp Profile: Jamall Lee

CFL.ca

Last edited:
Here is a kid we can get in the 7th round that is a sleeper from Canada, for the Canadians on the board.

Jamal Lee, Bishops University

This kid is from my Alma Matter so I have fallowed his whole career very close and have seen him run in person. This kid is a real talent who just hap pend to play in Canada. His testing numbers at the CFL combine last month were off the charts and comparable to the NFL combine numbers. He rushed for close to 400 yards in a game last season and I personally have watched 4 games where he has gone over 250 yards. In Canada we throw the ball a lot as we play with three downs on a 65 yard wide field so these running stats are pretty damn good.

Here are a few links on the kid maybe worth a seventh rounder or at least a UDFA contract.

BU - Gaiters

Canuck catches eye of NFL scouts - Sportsnet.ca

CFL.ca - E-Camp Profile: Jamall Lee

CFL.ca
I finally got around to checking his Texas vs The Nation stats: It looks like they had him playing two-ways, he had 1 run for -1 yd, and he had a tackle while playing defense. Did he also play Safety or LB in high school?

I finally got around to checking his Texas vs The Nation stats: It looks like they had him playing two-ways, he had 1 run for -1 yd, and he had a tackle while playing defense. Did he also play Safety or LB in high school?

He may have played defense in High School but never at Bishops, maybe as a safety in a prevent defense but I doubt it. I am going to have to get on the wire to see what was the deal there as I have had a hard time trying to find any info on the Texas vs The Nation game.

Thanks for the info BOR

Last edited:
He may have played defense in High School but never at Bishops, maybe as a safety in a prevent defense but I doubt it. I am going to have to get on the wire to see what was the deal there as I have had a hard time trying to find any info on the Texas vs The Nation game.

Thanks for the info BOR
I'm wondering if they credited him with a tackle made by Lee Robinson the LB...???

If Moreno is sitting there at 34 he would be very hard to pass on but I doubt he's even there at 23. I like Andre Brown from NC St, runs hard btween the tackles and has the lower body strength and build to do it on a consistent basis. Good hands and solid in pass protection. Also has the speed to finish runs. If he's there at 58 or in the 3rd I'd be happy to have him.

I'm wondering if they credited him with a tackle made by Lee Robinson the LB...???

I am thinking so because from what I know he is a pure RB but as I said I am going to investigate this further.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back