PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will we draft a running back ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. From the clips I've seen Brown is much more of a decisive runner than Maroney. When the gap is there, Brown hits it. Maroney's first instinct is to ALWAYS counter/stutter step in the backfield, even when there is a gaping hole.

This is Maroney's last chance to man up. His *****-footin to the hole is going to end or he's gone

As for 1st round RBs, I'd rate them 1. Moreno 2. Wells 3. Mccoy. But the Pats aren't drafting a RB in round 1, so that's kind of moot.

McCoy weighed in at sub 200 pounds.

That's one strike against him already.

I'm putting money down right now that Brown gets picked ahead of McCoy.

I also think Shonn Green will if he can run a 4.5 40.

Wells and Moreno have the #1 and 2 slots sewn up, and I'm betting Wells goes first.

When we picked up Jordan I was glad for insurance purposes but man in the NFL you need at least 3 quality back....which is not enough sometimes.

I completely agree. The problem is, quality RBs can regularly be found as street-talent. (See BJGE). They're just not worth spending the picks on.

Ian Johnson has been really impressive. I would like to see him as a third back, but I fear he will go higher than you should based on his combine measurables.

I completely agree. The problem is, quality RBs can regularly be found as street-talent. (See BJGE). They're just not worth spending the picks on.

Quality RB's found on the street? You must mean JAG RBs. It takes special talent to be an elite RB.

Quality RB's found on the street? You must mean JAG RBs. It takes special talent to be an elite RB.
Yes, it does. The problem is that the talent necessary to be a GOOD running back is everywhere.

How many teams a year does a street free agent/UDFA step in at RB when the highly drafted starter goes down, and the team doesn't miss a beat? I'd say atleast a handful every year.

Yes, Elite RBs are tough to find. Average to good ones are a dime a dozen.

The essence of a good running attack is on the Off line, Even the law firm could run 1000 yards with a superb off line, just see what happen with Jacksonville this year, their off line starters were injured and even with MJD and FT their rushing attack was mediocre. Lets draft one or two off lineman in the first 4th rounds and I think LoMo could be the player we once thought he could be.

I disagree with your semantics. A JAG or average runningback is NOT a GOOD runningback by definition. He is average. An elite RB is not just a GOOD RB either, he is elite. There are different tiers. The reason that teams can survive when their good or better RB goes down is that the running game has two components - the blocking and the running itself.

Good blocking plus an average RB can lead to a good running game, because even an average RB can run through big holes. Where the majority of backs are weeded out is when the holes are small or they have to make something extra happen to get positive yardage.

Last edited:
I don't think we'll draft a RB. I think we'll pick up someone like Taylor or McAllister, and give Maroney one last chance to shine.

I'm also still a fan of BJGE.

I disagree with your semantics. A JAG or average runningback is NOT a GOOD runningback by definition. He is average. An elite RB is not just a GOOD RB either, he is elite. There are different tiers. The reason that teams can survive when their good or better RB goes down is that the running game has two components - the blocking and the running itself.

Good blocking plus an average RB can lead to a good running game, because even an average RB can run through big holes. Where the majority of backs are weeded out is when the holes are small or they have to make something extra happen to get positive yardage.

I will let you in on a secret, I wasn't going to tell anyone but now I feel obligated.

Here it is, the secret to being a good (or very good or elite) running back in the NFL is.... staying on the field, all the RBs are studs but 3/4 of the college guys just can't handle 200 carries in the NFL.

Not sure this is some major revelation but IMO RB production is related to carries not 40 yard dashes.

A RB is only as good as the OL in front of him.

I will let you in on a secret, I wasn't going to tell anyone but now I feel obligated.

Here it is, the secret to being a good (or very good or elite) running back in the NFL is.... staying on the field, all the RBs are studs but 3/4 of the college guys just can't handle 200 carries in the NFL.

Not sure this is some major revelation but IMO RB production is related to carries not 40 yard dashes.

I disagree. Health and carries are not the determinative factors to the quality of a RB. Adrian Peterson is one of the most brilliant RBs in the game today. And he's not healthy all the time. Robert Smith before him was also an elite player, he had trouble staying healthy. It's what you do WITH your carries when you get them, not just the total carries that you get.

Heath Evans has been pretty healthy the past three years, he's not even in the same league as Sammy Morris who is hurt half the time. Sorry to ruin your big secret, but that statement doesn't ring true to me.

I disagree. Health and carries are not the determinative factors to the quality of a RB. Adrian Peterson is one of the most brilliant RBs in the game today. And he's not healthy all the time. Robert Smith before him was also an elite player, he had trouble staying healthy. It's what you do WITH your carries when you get them, not just the total carries that you get.

Heath Evans has been pretty healthy the past three years, he's not even in the same league as Sammy Morris who is hurt half the time. Sorry to ruin your big secret, but that statement doesn't ring true to me.

AP is a once in a decade player, the elite of the elite. Even as good as he is his average was 4.8 YPC. His numbers were stellar because he had 360 carries. How many carries did Evans have? I hope it wasn't more than 20.

A good running back can put up good to very good numbers with around 4.5 YPC and 250 carries (1125 yards per season) add in 300 or so receiving yards and that is more than acceptable.

NFL Football Statistics and League Leaders - National Football League - ESPN

You've still got the correlation backwards. A good to great RB earns his carries. Heath Evans won't get a lot of carries because he's just NOT that good. His being not good is not caused by the number of carries he has.

What you're saying is that CARRIES = CAUSE of why a RB is good. That's the reverse of the actual truth. Good RBs EARN more carries, because they give their team the best chance to win when they touch the ball. If you give Heath Evans 250 carries, he still won't be a good RB.

Last edited:
Javon Ringer, the RB out of Michigan was a top performer in both the 20 yard shuttle and the 3 cone drill. Both drills require a lot of change in direction and starting and stoping. Ringers agility and good hands make him a great 3rd down back. His agility should run well on the patriots offenseive line. I could see Ringer as the replacement for Faulk. Ringer would probally be a late 2nd rounder.

You've still got the correlation backwards. A good to great RB earns his carries. Heath Evans won't get a lot of carries because he's just NOT that good. His being not good is not caused by the number of carries he has.

What you're saying is that CARRIES = CAUSE of why a RB is good. That's the reverse of the actual truth. Good RBs EARN more carries, because they give their team the best chance to win when they touch the ball. If you give Heath Evans 250 carries, he still won't be a good RB.

Carries are earned but durability is the biggest reason many RBs just don't cut it, they look good for a game or two and then get nicked up and are barely effective. To earn your carries you must be productive and healthy, not necessarily in that order.

Ian Johnson of Boise State ran a 4.24 today at the B-State pro day

5'10"/212.......and he was the guy who proposed to his cheerleader girlfriend during a game

I''d take a day 2 flyer on him

Ian Johnson of Boise State ran a 4.24 today at the B-State pro day

5'10"/212.......and he was the guy who proposed to his cheerleader girlfriend during a game

I''d take a day 2 flyer on him

Was he at the combine? And, if so, how does that time compare to his combine time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes