PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will we be a better running team this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

carolinatony

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I liked the pickup of LaMont Jordan and think he is going to be solid for us. A healthy Morris to go with Maroney has the Potential for a very good running game IF the OL can block.
Running more gives us better control of the clock and protects Brady more and keeps the defense off the field more..
I love those Bombs to Moss but want to keep our defense fresh for the end of games.
Do you think we run better than last year?

I liked the pickup of LaMont Jordan and think he is going to be solid for us. A healthy Morris to go with Maroney has the Potential for a very good running game IF the OL can block.
Running more gives us better control of the clock and protects Brady more and keeps the defense off the field more..
I love those Bombs to Moss but want to keep our defense fresh for the end of games.
Do you think we run better than last year?

I certainly think we'll run more than last year, but I'm not sure better. I would think that our opponents would have to only have 7 in the box, giving us a distinct advantage in the run game based on the pass threat, but at the same time, they did last year too and we weren't exactly able to dominate with the ground game, even in the midst of the most impressive passing season in history. I think I'm going to take a pass on a real call on this, I certainly hope so as it benefits the D immensely, but I'm still not sure we have the line to grind it out...

Assuming Morris stays healthy along with the addition of Jordan and the progression of Maroney I'd be surprised if we weren't.

Last edited:
I would love for this to happen but I have my doubts.

Yes, I think the Pats will be a better running team. Maroney was not 100% in preseason and early season last year. Morris came in and ran well, but was then knocked out for the season and eventually landed on IR. Maroney had to come back in and didn't really seem like he was completely healthy till December.

Now this year not only is Maroney healthy, but Jordan and Morris are too. BB now has more options in the backfield, and can call more plays for the backs while keeping each player fresh - both late in the game and late in the seson - by limiting his touches. And if an injury takes one out, there are still two others available; BB won't have a need to avoid running the ball due to (lack of) depth caused by injuries this year.

IMO definitely.

Hopefully Morris gives us more than 6 games.
Faulk will ive you the same (great draw back)
Lamont could give you a real good short yardage change of pace.

and the kicker.

Maroney has had his first full offseason. Rookie year starts in april and he was hurt last year. I think that will pay huge dividends to him through out the season. I think Maroney will easily eclipse 1,000 this year.

That all adds up to a much better run game. and more importantly better balance

Good yeah we should be but not dominant.

Situationally the running game may be better - things like short yardage, killing the clock, etc. which could have been better in 07.

But overall? I highly doubt it will be better.

And the reason is the running game was fine last year. There is a perception it wasn't good but that isn't true. It produced the 3rd most yards, 2nd most TDs, and best yards per rush of the BB era in New England.

I don't think we had a bad running game last year, I just think we didn't use it. RBs wear out pretty quickly. Maroney's performance seemed to greatly improve during the playoff, making me think that he was told to be careful during the regular season.

But you never know with Belichick. Last year we were a passing offense, before that we were TE.

We need a healthy line.

Hells to the no.

the pats can be a good running team if they need to but most of the season i think they will be throwing the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes