nescott

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Will Ty Lay return to the Patriots?

Last edited:
nescott said:
Will Ty Lay return to the Patriots?

I'd love to have Ty back, even though I'm really not as high on him as others tend to be.

10 INTs is impressive to be sure... but I think you have to factor in all his penalties. Additionally, because he was coming off an injury and was prone to pass interference, I think many QBs feel he can now be beat... and that's why he had a lot more passess coming his way than the Ty Law of the past would have.... in a way I'd prefer to have a CB with 0 INTs if that meant he'd spooked QBs into completely avoiding him...

So as much as I think he'd be a net plus for us, neither I nor BB would probably give him top dollar on the market.

Additionally I think Ty ultimately will go to whoever offers him the most money... and indeed he may wait until training camp when an opportune injury makes some team desparate enough to give him what he wants.

I hope I'm wrong, and Ty decides to play for slightly less here than he could for another team, but I'm usually right about these things.

Last edited:
I hope he does. And I think it's very realistic that he will. But my gut says that someone will end up offering more money than we will and he'll chase the money.

I wouldn't be crazy about it (thought we were trying to purge our roster of older, injury-prone players), something tells me it's going to happen.

Branch and Graham first.

I want Ty Law, I think consensus agrees. I also think logic dictates he signs for more money elsewhere either Tenn or KC.

The perfect end to a very interesting off season would be to see - Branch, Graham, Koppen, Samuels and the other "1 year to go guys" locked up along with Ty Law signing. There should be enough cash to do this if Ty does not take it all and Branch is somewhat reasonable.

I lost a ton of respect for Law as a person for the way he handled himself after SB 38. Respect he has never gained back from me.

That said, I recognize the fact that he is better then anyone we have right now.

However, this team has yet to sign Branch long term. And my feeling is that they won't sign him long term either.

So if I have my doubts about them signing Branch, I can't see them signing Law.

Will be happy if I'm wrong (more so with regard to Branch), but I say he doesn't come back.

No way!

sarge said:
I lost a ton of respect for Law as a person for the way he handled himself after SB 38. Respect he has never gained back from me.

That said, I recognize the fact that he is better then anyone we have right now.

However, this team has yet to sign Branch long term. And my feeling is that they won't sign him long term either.

So if I have my doubts about them signing Branch, I can't see them signing Law.

Will be happy if I'm wrong (more so with regard to Branch), but I say he doesn't come back.

No way!

You say you don't see them signing Branch, and therefore see it unlikely they would then sign Law. So I'm just curious, where do you think all there money is going to go?

zippo59 said:
You say you don't see them signing Branch, and therefore see it unlikely they would then sign Law. So I'm just curious, where do you think all there money is going to go?
There are other guys like Graham, Koppen and Samuel. Branch is more important but you sign who you can, I guess.

Ty Law will go to which ever team pays the most money and the Patriots won't be that team.

MrTibbs said:
Ty Law will go to which ever team pays the most money and the Patriots won't be that team.
Why not? We have the money. Some misguided pride in never overpaying a player wont take the cap money we have and get us the players to win a SB.

AndyJohnson said:
Some misguided pride in never overpaying a player
One team's misguided pride is another team's philosophy that has worked very well so far.

As each day goes by the Pats remain strangely quiet, the more I think Law will return

I think this new entry may change things...I have been leaning in favor of hos return, but..I think he'll get more money elsewhere..and NOT be a Patriot..JUST a gut feeling here..one I hope is wrong!!

No thanks...

Ty Law...We've been there done that...time to move on.

Ty is still a playmaker, something our D was seriously lacking last year.

jeffd said:
Ty is still a playmaker, something our D was seriously lacking last year.

A`nt that the truth

Handicapping the current participants in the 2006 Ty Law Sweepstakes:

NE - EVEN $$$ (We have his kids, friends, ring size on file and we have $$$ although we will not spend it foolishly)

KC - 2-1 (They have some $$ and the coach who bolted on his 2006 option, but also did the dance last year and ended up trading for a younger pro bowl #1 CB who got Ty's $$$ ...if healthy I don't think he'll play second fiddle to Surtain on the field or financially)

TN - 10-1 (They kicked his tires but even after dumping their former franchise QB to start a backup until their future franchise QB of the develops they will have little $ to compete for a CB, not the mention a coaching staff prepping for an ugly exit after another ugly season)

SD & SEA - 20-1 Longshots (Who both drafted first round CB's and are about as far away from the family Ty feeds and the children he likes to keep in touch with as you can be in the NFL. Either would have to pay a location premium for which they do not get a mentor just his talent.

JoeSixPat said:
I'd love to have Ty back, even though I'm really not as high on him as others tend to be.

10 INTs is impressive to be sure... but I think you have to factor in all his penalties. Additionally, because he was coming off an injury and was prone to pass interference, I think many QBs feel he can now be beat... and that's why he had a lot more passess coming his way than the Ty Law of the past would have.... in a way I'd prefer to have a CB with 0 INTs if that meant he'd spooked QBs into completely avoiding him...

So as much as I think he'd be a net plus for us, neither I nor BB would probably give him top dollar on the market.

I'm sorry man, but an INT is an INT. I don't care if people threw on him all last yr. He was just coming back from a serious foot injury and was overweight. Why wouldn't they try and pick on him? He's far better STILL, then any CB on our roster.
10 picks is 10 times the offense got the ball back, now imagine if ANY of our guys couldve been ball hawks like that for us last yr. The biggest ? is, would Ty Law improve this team? That answer is yes. So, if the money is right, bring 'em on back home, and lets get another trophy already, d%#*!@t!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes