PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will Tom Brady Pass Johnny Unitas in 2011?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Will Tom Brady Pass Johnny Unitas for career TDs in 2011?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

goheels22002

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Tom Brady (261) needs 30 touchdown passes to pass Johnny Unitas in career TDs (290). He only needs 12 to pass Joe Montana but trails Peyton Manning by 138 for 3rd all-time.

30 is really alot. I'll guess yes, he'll narrowly do it.

But Brady will never pass Unitas in # of haircuts.

Probably

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

he will need the playoffs to do it, but he will get it done this year :)

Last edited:
With an additional 40tds he'll surpass Elway, GO TFB!

30 is a lot? 30 was a lot in the days of Jurgensen, Unitas, and Dawson - it's not a lot these days.

Today I have Brady with 38-46 range in 2011, and a guess of 42.

Less than 2 a game on average, I say yes!

Who care if he passes him this year or not, it's not like this is TFB's final year. That said, Even though he's only gone over 28 twice in his career, I'll say yes, he has somewhere between 34-38 this year.

Yup, I say he ends the regular season we 32-34. A little below last year, but I think we score a few more rushing TD's this year.

Last edited:
I said no cause I answered with the regular season in mind but if its including the playoffs then yeah.

For those who are interested, here are the top 10:

Rank Player HOFer Bold
1. Brett Favre 508
2. Dan Marino 420
3. Peyton Manning 399
4. Fran Tarkenton 342
5. John Elway 300
6. Warren Moon 291
7. Johnny Unitas 290
8. Vinny Testaverde 275
9. Joe Montana 273
10. Tom Brady 261
Dave Krieg 261

So. Brady is 40 away from the top 5 all time.

It really doesn't matter whether he jumps over Unitas this year or next. The point is that after two more healthy seasons he's in the top 5 of all time. I think the Pats will have a more balanced offense this year with added running strength behind a very strong O-line/Tight End formation.

Other Active: Brees 235, McNabb 230, K. Collins 206

Others: Bledsoe 251, Young 232, Bradshaw 212, Warner 208

Last edited:
What's the all time top 10 Touchdown to game ratio?

Don't really care, I'd just as soon run it in, but with Gronk and others it seems a pretty efficient way to score.

For those who are interested, here are the top 10:

Rank Player HOFer Bold
1. Brett Favre 508
2. Dan Marino 420
3. Peyton Manning 399
4. Fran Tarkenton 342
5. John Elway 300
6. Warren Moon 291
7. Johnny Unitas 290
8. Vinny Testaverde 275
9. Joe Montana 273
10. Tom Brady 261
Dave Krieg 261

So. Brady is 40 away from the top 5 all time.

It really doesn't matter whether he jumps over Unitas this year or next. The point is that after two more healthy seasons he's in the top 5 of all time. I think the Pats will have a more balanced offense this year with added running strength behind a very strong O-line/Tight End formation.

Other Active: Brees 235, McNabb 230, K. Collins 206

Others: Bledsoe 251, Young 232, Bradshaw 212, Warner 208

A couple of people have also mentioned "who cares?" to this poll. Peyton Manning's neck surgery at age 34 is pretty significant stuff and suggests he's looking at the end.

Maybe new polls are worth posing: Will Peyton Manning pass Dan Marino for #2 all time this year? Will Brady ever pass Fran Tarkenton?

Manning has to get healthy and stay healthy, and that offensive line looked terrible against the Green Bay Packers when the starters were in there last night. 21 more passing TDs could be a challenge for Peyton Manning.

The Patriots sure are built for Brady to catch Tarkenton with the offensive line and receiving corps they have, but that means three more years of elite production.

I despise Brett Favre for all his diva/creepy pervy crap, but his 508 career TDs is just a stunning statistic. Brady won't get within 100 of that.

Unitas has the record that is doubtful anyone will ever break. 47 consecutive games with a TD pass. The next closest was Marino at 30 games.

Brady has thrown for 30 or more touchdowns in a season just twice, so I don't know if it is the lock that some here are making it out to be. Granted the last few years it seems that way (50; 28 while recovering from surgery; 36), and if I had to make a choice I would say yes, but I don't think it's quite as automatic as some presume it will be.

Interestingly Brady is currently third all-time in INT ratio, at 2.2%. Aaron Rodgers is first at 2.0%, but get this: the player ranked second all-time at 2.1%? Neil O'Donnell!

I would have never guessed that one.

Last edited:
Brady has thrown for 30 or more touchdowns in a season just twice, so I don't know if it is the lock that some here are making it out to be. Granted the last few years it seems that way (50; 28 while recovering from surgery; 36), and if I had to make a choice I would say yes, but I don't think it's quite as automatic as some presume it will be.

Interestingly Brady is currently third all-time in TD/INT ratio, at 2.2%. Aaron Rodgers is first at 2.0%, but get this: the player ranked second all-time at 2.1%? Neil O'Donnell!

I would have never guessed that one.

Gotta hand it to Neil O'Donnell for that - that's a bizarre career category at: NFL Leaders, Football Records, NFL Leaderboards - Pro-Football-Reference.com Don't know what to make of that group of cats and dogs at the top.

The other bizarre QB statistic is that Tony Romo has a higher career passer rating than Joe Montana, Dan Marino, Tom Brady and Peyton Manning. I guess that means in the biggest game you can imagine you'd want Tony Romo over those four guys.

All that proves is that passer rating is a seriously flawed statistic.

Last edited:
Gotta hand it to Neil O'Donnell for that - that's a bizarre career category at: NFL Leaders, Football Records, NFL Leaderboards - Pro-Football-Reference.com Don't know what to make of that group of cats and dogs at the top.

The other bizarre QB statistic is that Tony Romo has a higher career passer rating than Joe Montana, Dan Marino, Tom Brady and Peyton Manning. I guess that means in the biggest game you can imagine you'd want Tony Romo over those four guys.

All that proves is that passer rating is a seriously flawed statistic.

The statistic is 100% accurate, the interpretation is flawed. High passer rating != great QB

Yes

Brady will have 30 by week 15

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
Back