PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will this defense be top ten? (hint: no)

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Where will this defense rank?

• Top 5.

Votes: 31 18.2%
  • Top 10.

Votes: 88 51.8%
  • 10-20

Votes: 41 24.1%
  • 21-32

Votes: 10 5.9%

• Total voters
Oh I think since the Dome patrol in the 80's early 90's we always had pretty bad defenses. I think your thinking of Aaron Brooks who put points on the board but was religious about throwing interceptions in the red zone. We used to call the field Thomas covered the sweet spot or 7pts, lol, omg he got bad. I still dont think there has been a worst defence than NO since 2006-20015. I might run the numbers some day, but pretty amazing what Brees has done with such a handycap. Im fairly confident in saying Saints probably cost Brees one more ring in his career, but also made alot of his stats because he was always forced to perform at a high level to win games with 30-35 min pionts. Its why we lose road games on turf alot because offense can only put up the NFL norm 24pts but the defense is even worse or the same which is pretty bad. People keep saying NO offense is a bad road team, not exactly true. They can put up 24pts. That should be enouph, but the defense falls apart. We have lost every playoff because the defence folded.
Your defense was pretty decent the Super Bowl year wasn't it? Really good at forcing turnovers if I recall.

Can't wait to check in this thread tomorrow and brain dead OP goes on a tangent about how right he was every time we give up a first down.

Your defense was pretty decent the Super Bowl year wasn't it? Really good at forcing turnovers if I recall.

from what i remember to it was, the other thing the Saints could do really well was run the ball. Jahri Evans and Carl Nicks used to pave the way. I havent heard those name sin quite some time

Ninkovich is a great player but he is not an all-pro. Ninkovich does not demand double teams and he is not a game changer.
What is he? The best player on our defensive line.
Chandler Jones comes in at second, as an above average DE.
Our interior DL is unproven, rookies, or coming off of injuries.

Why is this defensive line praised so much? In the other thread about the defense, people were comparing this defense to the 2013 Panthers (second in the league). Does anyone truly believe this defense can be top 5? Seriously?

This is a 15th-25th ranked defense and most likely in the 20s in everything except for scoring.
Feel free to disagree and we'll see who can come back and say "i told you so."

LMAO... Can we say NUMBER ONE scoring defenestration in the NFL by week ten?!!!! Yes Sir!!

Can we please close this thread now that Interception has admitted to being wrong?

Can we please close this thread now that Interception has admitted to being wrong?

I'll take that as humor since his last post anywhere on this website was November 15th in this thread:

Post#543 - Interception:

"I'm not keen to be right.
Everyone's excuse is always "but our CB was sooooo close to making the play."
Being close isn't any better than not being close of the play is made".

I'll take that as humor since his last post anywhere on this website was November 15th in this thread:

Post#543 - Interception:

"I'm not keen to be right.
Everyone's excuse is always "but our CB was sooooo close to making the play."
Being close isn't any better than not being close of the play is made".

His football acumen is exceeded only by his mastery of the English language.

I've always had what I think is a different approach to what actually constitutes defense. It's my contention that all 53 players are responsible for keeping the other team from scoring points, which is the one and only way to measure the success of a defense.

If a punter drops a punt inside the 1 yard line, then he has hampered the other team's ability to score. That's defense.

If the offense goes on a long time consuming drive they too have hampered the other team's ability to score, by keeping the other team's offense off the field. That's defense.

If the offense puts the team up by two or more scores they have created a problem for the opposing offenses ability to run their normal offense. That's defense too.

If the special team players stuff a runner on a kickoff inside the 5 or 10 yard line then they have also helped the team keep the other team from scoring. Once again, that's defense.

If the kicker kicks the ball through the endzone then he has kept the opponent from running the kickoff back at all. That is defense too.

If the QB throws a pick and you're an offensive lineman or WR that can make a tackle, you're now a defender.

If you put on the uniform you're part of the team defense, no matter what position you play.

No Jamie Collins (against McCoy and Karlos Williams this is an even bigger loss) and the defense was dominant. Chandler, Sheard and Ninko were all over Taylor (and with a bit of luck we would have 3-4 more sacks and probably a fumble). Easley was awesome. Butler was a man out there and another all-pro game from Devin. Not too mention that Hightower was the best player on the field. This is one of the best defenses we have had.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back