PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will this be a rebuilding season?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The best offense in NFL history doesn't need to be rebuilt. The defense, however, needs to get younger... so maybe 5-7 new starters on D can be considered rebuilding.

Please post the rankings of the 2007 defense that needs the replacement of 5-7 starters.

5-7 new starters? Yes, that would indeed be REBUILDING the defense. Which five are you planning on replacing. I've listed my TWO. A third is possible but unlikely, but 2-3 wouldn't be rebuilding, just normal.

Well let's look at the current starters. I expect Seau to re-sign so I will list him, even though he is probably one you would replace.

DL Seymour, Wilfork, Warren
OLB Colvin, Vrabel
ILB Thomas, SEAU
CB Hobbs, RICHARDSON
S Harrison, Sanders

The best offense in NFL history doesn't need to be rebuilt. The defense, however, needs to get younger... so maybe 5-7 new starters on D can be considered rebuilding.

Vrable
Tedy
Samuel
Seau
... and everyone jumps down my throat when I say this, but I would get rid of Harrison, he isn't getting any younger. There is my 5, but if you look at Jimke's last post, the FA list could make it worse.

Add in whoever they draft in round 1... it looks likes 5-7 to me.

And I never said the defense was bad last year... I said they have to start getting younger.

Vrable
Tedy
Samuel
Seau
... and everyone jumps down my throat when I say this, but I would get rid of Harrison, he isn't getting any younger. There is my 5, but if you look at Jimke's last post, the FA list could make it worse.

And I never said the defense was bad last year... I said they have to start getting younger.

Vrabel was a first team All Pro linebacker this past season. The moment you claim that he needs to be replaced, you piss all your credibility down the toilet.

Replace Vrabel? What the hell for?

edit: beaten miserably

Last edited:
Vrable is going to be 33 and in his 12th year when the season starts. How long does he have left... 2 years tops? All I'm saying is get younger on D sooner rather than later.

Seau is 38 and people aren't even sure if he's going to retire. Bruschi is 35 and had a stroke.

The topic of the thread is "is this going to be a rebuilding year." This as in this offseason and this upcoming season. Not "two years from now when Vrabel is 35 and still possibly uninjured".

Saying "5-7 starters should be replaced", then backing off to "ok 4, maybe 5" and starting your list with a Pro Bowler who shows no signs of slowing down is fine, but it doesn't really do much in terms of making sense.

Last edited:
Fine. I take Vrable back. To be perfectly honest, I thought he was older than 32. So 5 possible new starters on defense, depending what happens in FA and the draft. And, IMO, 5 new starters on defense is borderline rebuilding.

Our team is getting old. If we don't start getting younger players, they'll all retire around the same time and then where will we be? But I agree, reloading is more appropriate.

Our team is getting old? Please explain.

Where are we old on offense? I dont see an old player.
Where are we old on the DL? None have been in the league for more than 7 years, and only Seymour for more than 5.
Where are we old at corner?
Where are we old at OLB?

Rodney Harrison, Tedy Bruschi and Jr Seau are really the only players anyone could consider 'old'. Last I checked 3 players does not make an old team.

Fine. I take Vrable back. To be perfectly honest, I thought he was older than 32. So 5 possible new starters on defense, depending what happens in FA and the draft. And, IMO, 5 new starters on defense is borderline rebuilding.

How do you get 5?

It's a 3-4 defense....

Wilfork, Warren & Seymour are fine
Vrabel, Colvin/Thomas (leaving 2 maximum at LB)
Hobbs, Sanders (leaving 2 maximum at DB)

Even buying into the theory of replacing both ILBs, Samuel AND Harrison, you're still only at 4 new starters.

I see it as re-loading. Rebuilding is what a team does when they are starting from scratch.

Starting with the best nose tackle in 3-4 football, one of the best ends in 3-4 football, and a Richard Seymour who finally started to show flashes of his pre-injured self, is not rebuilding.

We need to plug some holes, just like we did on offense last year. I see it as 'reloading'.

Ok, you made a mistake on Vrabel. You said 5-7 need replacing. I guess that we're now down to 4-6.

Let's try again. He are the starters. I agree that Seau and Richardson shouldn't be starters. They should be backups, if they are on the team at all. Who are the other TWO TO FOUR others that you would replace? And where do you expect to get the replacements? And yes, replacing 4-6 of the starting defence does indeed qualify as a rebuilding year for the defense.

OLB Colvin, Vrabel
ILB Thomas, SEAU
CB Hobbs, RICHARDSON
S Harrison, Sanders

Trying to add 4-6 players defensive players might be much closer to mark. 5-7 starters is ridiculous at best.

OK... I'll throw in Colvin as a salary cap causality to get to 5. Obviously a worse case situation.

I admit it... 5-7 is ridiculous. Most likely 4, only 5 if they really decide to clean house.

Ok, you made a mistake on Vrabel. You said 5-7 need replacing. I guess that we're now down to 4-6.

Let's try again. He are the starters. I agree that Seau and Richardson shouldn't be starters. They should be backups, if they are on the team at all. Who are the other TWO TO FOUR others that you would replace? And where do you expect to get the replacements? And yes, replacing 4-6 of the starting defence does indeed qualify as a rebuilding year for the defense.

OLB Colvin, Vrabel
ILB Thomas, SEAU
CB Hobbs, RICHARDSON
S Harrison, Sanders

Trying to add 4-6 players defensive players might be much closer to mark. 5-7 starters is ridiculous at best.
Hit the nail on the head....IT is really silly to talk about "rebuilding"...even in the defense...
The team DOES need to have some backup linebackers who can rotate in...but that is HARDLY rebuilding. A replacement for Samuels is needed..THAT is clear....and rotating Merriweather in at safety will help...BUT rebuilding?? So so silly!! And if Bruschi does NOT retire, it's even better at LB...(and no, I do not expect to See seau sign now for another year...he likes his offseasons in Cali...surfing and such...but I bet CoachB knows if he WILL sign in late June July as he did last year...and I DO think he returns. ) The big questions are what the staff thinks of the likes of Alexander, Lua, Woods, Richardson etc...that is a real key to the puzzle.

Vrable
Tedy
Samuel
Seau

This is getting ridiculous.
First of all Vrabel doesnt need to be replaced.
Secondly you are conveniently counting both Brushci and Seau as starters, and they are not when everyone is healthy.
So we end up with:
-we have a free agent who started at corner
-we have a starter and a backup at ILB that are aging, and potentially could retire.

Where in the world that turns into 5-7 starters I have no clue.

I think it might be. We have a seemingly easy schedule next year and don't necessarily require alot of talent to win the division. Ofcourse we'll try to win the Superbowl but we've been successful in the playoffs before with lesser teams. I think we're gonna see alot of our older players go this offseason and it will probably be pretty depressing. I also think we may lose alot of the big names. This league is obsessed with parity so we couldn't expect to maintain a team this good for an extended period. Hopefully we'll retain Moss but I've got a feeling that some of our recievers will be gone.

This may be early but I predict we'll go a healthy 12-4, allowing we lose to the Colts, Broncos, and two others. That's more than a head start for Brady in the playoffs.

It looks like your prognostication may come true.

It looks like your prognostication may come true.

I think it all comes down to the schedule. With a new defense which will take until week 8 or so to hit full stride, I hope we avoid the Colts/Broncos or other #1 seed competing teams until the 2nd half of the season. If we get Jets/Bills/Phins and other cupcakes to start the year, it'll help iron out the defensive issues. Otherwise, it'll be like 2006 when we lost to every decent team and feasted on the have-nots.

If things go as planned, we will take the shape of the 2006 Colts...a team that was carried by its offense until December when the Defense came around and helped carry them to the Super Bowl.

OK... I'll throw in Colvin as a salary cap causality to get to 5. Obviously a worse case situation.

I admit it... 5-7 is ridiculous. Most likely 4, only 5 if they really decide to clean house.

Well, you got the Colvin call correct, even if it was just a throw in.

Kudos to you on that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back