PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will the real fans please stand up

Status
Not open for further replies.
So basically, you accuse me of arguing without having any of the facts and then turn around and take a wild leap of logic yourself? Well played. :bricks:

I can't for the life of me understand why you continue to completely miss the point. I never argued that the Boldin "move" was definitively correct. I provided examples of things that the FO COULD know that you do not know that could contribute to why the decision MIGHT be the right one.

It is YOU who is saying it is clear that missing out on Boldin is a negative point to the FO. I never once claimed that it was 100% correct just because they decided on it.

Allow me to use your own argument against you: you have zero way of knowing that the NE scouts saw something that turned them off. I should say, though, that I don't think that is the case. If it were, it would have probably turned Baltimore off as well. Since that didn't happen, I would have to think that there isn't that type of concern there. According to Mort, it was all about the money. If that is the reason for it, then it's a shoddy reason, to say the least. The money was actually very good considering what most of us thought Boldin was going to command prior to free agency beginning.

See above, I haven't even put out what I believe of the decision. Simply trying to get you to understand that no matter how bad it may look to you, you should at least concede that the FO could have more factors that might even sway your decision if you knew them. You are unwilling and yet continue to put words in my mouth to counter my point that the FO has more information.

So basically, you haven't been reading anything that I've been saying. I don't find that to be far fetched, personally. It all makes sense now. I sincerely hope they upgrade the receiving corps by next season. As of right now, we're looking at the possibility of a 9-7 or an 8-8 team next season without key upgrades.

This makes 0 sense. Not a single team's roster is set in stone so you aren't looking at 9-7 or 8-8 if all teams get worse now are you? So yeah, if the Patriots sit on their ass and do nothing while every other team works to get better, then we'll be disappointed. Well you can say that above every team every offseason.

And I've said time and time again in this thread that I wish to judge each move by itself and not judge all moves the same way. That is the reason why I can judge the Boldin move as a bad one and say at the same time that the team can redeem themselves by brining in a guy like Bryant.

Judging each move in isolation is an exercise in futility. "redeem" themselves, nice. :rolleyes:

I highly suggest you take some time to peruse some of the older threads in this forum. There were plenty of posters that put trust in the front office when it came to Doug Gabriel and Reche Caldwell coming in and replacing Branch's production. PLENTY. I should know, as I was one of those people. As for your comment about Branch screwing the team, I don't think I could disagree with that.

Alright I shouldn't have said no one said those things. But Branch was traded LATE, it's not like the FO had a lot of time to replace him. Anyone who thought we'd be exactly the same losing Branch that late, I dunno what to tell you. But we still did score pretty well in the playoffs that year, so Kudos to one of Brady's best seasons.

Nice to see that you still have only "it was the Pats front office that decided to make/not make the move... so they must be right!" as a way to back-up your argument.

You were never called out specifically, you responded to a statement about a general group of people. Most != All, and therefore you made an improper logical jump. Let's leave it at that, or you can go ahead and take the last word on this.

Sure I was, albeit indirectly. You lumped me in with the "objective non-homer fan crowd" and then proceeded to try to lecture me on what that crowd believe as Cassel was putting up a stinker of a preseason. I responded with what I believed then and let it go. I don't like to waste time on random red herrings, personally.

Way to avoid the point and harp on the word choice, definitely makes the discussion fun. PS: Knowing infinitely more does not mean being perfect, it's a figure of speech.

Actually, I confronted your assertion head-on and gave an example as to why the FO does not know "infinitely more" than I do. If you'd like, I could present you with more examples. But I have a feeling that you'll just continue the "see no evil, hear no evil" act that you've been pulling ever since you resumed posting on a regular basis.

You think the Burgess move was bad, so I'm assuming you hated it the day it was made and will continue to hate it even if Burgess starts performing after learning the system more. Or are you basing your judgement of a move based on end-result which can't be known at the time of said decision?

I thought the Burgess move was bad because we gave up two draft picks for a guy that hadn't played in a 3-4 as a pro and didn't show the previous season that he could still rush the passer like he used to. I continue to think the Burgess trade was a bad move because of his production, or lack thereof, on the field last year. However, I am not a doucher that will wish the team or it's players ill will just so I can harp on a message board about how right I was and always have been. I thoroughly hope that, should Burgess not get cut over the course of the offseason, he proves me very wrong. I'll be the first one to eat crow. However, I highly doubt that will be the case. As I said, I evaluate every move this organization makes on a move by move basis. Some are good, others aren't. To this day, at this point, this move was not a good one and, a year later, it inhibited our ability to pick up the best WR2 available in free agency.

I don't expect you to know what I am talking about because as a determined objective poster you are unwilling to concede the fact or unable to recognize the fact that we do NOT know everything about any situation. We don't have the information of BB's scouting department on Boldin, Tate, the draft, other WR, Welker etc... That's just the beginning. We also don't have any facts regarding the hard budget, the percentage allotment for each position, etc... Maybe part of their budget dictates they not have $20M locked up in 2 receivers.

First of all, your continuous appeal to authority is not only fallacious, but it's an incredibly weak argument. Secondly, I love how you continue to fault me for speculating (which is not what I have been doing) and then continue to speculate yourself. Third of all, as I said before, if there was some reason other than money that kept the Pats away from Boldin, it would have kept the Ravens away from Boldin to and would have been made known to the press and to the average fan. Fourth of all, they would only have that money allotted to two receivers for one year: this season, which just so happens to be uncapped. Fifth of all, Moss even said that he can't see himself as a Patriot after 2010. If he is, he is probably going to have to take a paycut in which two things can happen: The first is that he turns down the offer and Boldin becomes the highest paid receiver on the team (at $7M per). The second is that he takes the offer and we still have Boldin and Moss on the same team with Brady throwing them the ball but at a significantly lower cost.

You not understanding that we don't have all the facts is the basis for all of the "objective" issues. You call others homers for recognizing that there is a lot more than meets the eye that goes into building an entire roster and there are many factors that go into each decision not just isolated money for that specific case.

Is there an argument anywhere here, or is this just your way of saying "The FO has to be right on this one... just because they are" over and over and over again? You see, this is why I call you a homer. You don't really have anything outside of this to back you up. It's just basically blind faith in the organization making the right moves even though there are numerous instances in which they HAVEN'T made the right move when presented with the opportunity to do so.

Yeah I lack the ability to think freely. Yet I'm the one that is willing to incorporate ALL facts, while you want to harp on only the facts you want to make your case with.

Wait, you used facts somewhere in this thread? Because all I've seen is "the FO knows more than you so there!" on top numerous attacks which haven't been at all about my point, but about me as a person/poster.

So tell me again how you know just as much as the FO.

Well, let's see what I have seen with my own two eyes this past season alone...

1. Front office makes a trade of two draft picks for Derrick Burgess, an experiment that has been a failure to this day.

2. Front office decides to let possibly the best defensive lineman on the team (Richard Seymour) go to Oakland mere days before the start of the season. It's assumed by the fans (who are giving the FO the benefit of the doubt) that there are people behind him (like Green, Pryor, or Wright) than can replace his production, take up two men at the point of attack on a consistent basis, and be a force in the pass rush. We found out that wasn't the case, unless you have some proof that Jarvis Green was effective in all three of these phases in spite of the fact that teams were ripping off runs to his side of the defensive line all season long.

3. Front office brings in a 37 year old Joey Galloway to become the team's WR3 then gives up on him after Week 3 of the regular season after making it so that the old dog had to learn new tricks and were immediately disappointed when he had trouble with it. The same front office basically ignored bringing in any other depth to ensure that we wouldn't be in a hole in case Galloway had the problems he did leaving the team to use a career special teamer as the WR3, and experiment which backfired on the front office and cost the team games as the offense stalled out in the second half all season long.

4. Bill decides that it's best to play the starters in a Week 16 game which was essentially meaningless to our playoff positioning (even moreso after the Bengals got blown out by the Jets later on that evening). The result was not only a defeat which seemed to deflate the team afterward, but also the loss of the offense's second most important piece in Wes Welker to what appeared to be a devestating knee injury for a WR that plays like he plays (relying on making hard, aggressive cuts. Because of this, the team may be without Welker to start the season and it'll probably take a full season before Welker is playing at anywhere near the same level as he and we are accustomed to.

These are just four instances in which the front office dropped the ball. And yet people like you see this and STILL don't know why people like me aren't as quick to give the FO the benefit of the doubt on every single occasion. You see, my homer friend, there is a difference between realizing that the FO isn't perfect and believing you know more than the front office. I'm the former.

Being objective also REQUIRES you to acknowledge there are other factors that may alter whether a decision is "right" or not. These factors will never be known and those that you accuse of being a "homer" are simply understanding of that fact.

Disagree. To me, being objective requires you to use the facts placed in front of you and make a decision based on those facts. As of right now, we have well placed media sources saying that the Boldin trade was about the money. I'm more likely to believe them over a guy on the internet named "emoney" who repeatedly states that there was probably some external reason for not signing Boldin that we as fans do not know about, and yet does not have a shred of evidence to back up that belief.

For example, the Hobbs trade does not make sense to me given the limited facts I have. At the same time I am perfectly willing to concede that the FO has more facts that MIGHT make the decision make more sense.

Well, we have something in common. The Hobbs trade didn't make sense to me either as I think a Bodden, Hobbs, Butler backfield would have been good for us. However, once again, I have to think that if there was an external reason for us letting Hobbs go, the Eagles would have probably been less willing to make that trade and thus it would have probably been made known to the media.

Maybe I've just been giving you way too much credit this whole time. I concede that there may be OTHER factors that I will never know that makes the decision right or even completely plausible.

No, you've been guessing and hoping that there are other factors out there because your argument doesn't have much merit other than that. If I didn't know any better, I'd think that you would disagree with the FO's non-move on Boldin if it were just about the money. But, I do understand that admitting to such would essentially be admitted that you're wrong on this one, and we wouldn't want to do that now, would we?

It's really not hard to understand and in fact is the very definition of "benefit of the doubt". In the absence of ALL the facts, a proven FO deserves the benefit of the doubt.

No, they really don't deserve the benefit of the doubt on anything right off the bat. Each case should be looked at on it's own merits.

I never made that argument, you either misread my posts or don't know what the term benefit of the doubt means.

Well you're right about the "argument" part. You've not put together a coherent argument this entire time and instead of been spewing logical fallacies, the appeal to authority being the primary one, the entire time. Saying "The FO is proven, so they are probably right about this move" is as much of an appeal to authority as it gets. It's almost like watching a judge hand down a death sentence for simple shoplifting and then turning around and saying "well, our court system is proven, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on whether or not the punishment is too harsh". Of course, I fully expect you to miss this point so please feel free to come back and tell me how wrong I am to make that connection without providing any sort of coherent argument to back it up and make me understand why I am wrong for labeling your so called "argument" as a logical fallacy.

Apparently you do not know what a credential is. Also this "argument" assumes that Boldin was the only (and best) way to improve the WR core.

You have been the only one in this thread that has even remotely said that Boldin was the ONLY way to improve the WR corps. I have never once said that and neither has Box. However, he was the BEST way to improve the WR corps. If you wish to deny the fact that Boldin is the best WR2 available in free agency, I would love to hear your argument why.

Plus if you want to use history as proof, I offer you the history of the Patriots FO.

Thank you for proving my point on how your entire "argument" here has been one big logical fallacy after another.

You really should learn what ad hominem actually means. You may also want to re-read your responses before you accuse others of "attacks".

First of all, please quote where I have attacked you or Box. I would love to see it. Second of all, I fully know what ad hominem and personal attacks are. When you call me arrogant for recognizing that the FO has made some mistakes over the past year or so, you are not attacking my point. Instead, you are attacking me which is an instance of ad hominem.

Alright I shouldn't have said no one said those things. But Branch was traded LATE, it's not like the FO had a lot of time to replace him. Anyone who thought we'd be exactly the same losing Branch that late, I dunno what to tell you. But we still did score pretty well in the playoffs that year, so Kudos to one of Brady's best seasons.

Branch was traded late but that move was building up all throughout the offseason which gave the FO ample time to bring in someone better than Doug Gabriel to replace him. They didn't and the fans who put their trust in the FO to replace Branch's production were disappointed when they actually saw everything that Doug Gabriel couldn't do for our offense. This is just yet another example (albeit a lesser one) of how the FO dropped the ball. Glad to see you recognize 2006 as being Brady's best year as a quarterback as well.

And you were right in your previous post. You really should let Box do the talking in this one.

Last edited:
Nice to see that you still have only "it was the Pats front office that decided to make/not make the move... so they must be right!" as a way to back-up your argument.

Do you lack reading comprehension or are you intentionally putting words in my mouth for some other reason?

I never once said that nor did I insinuate it, but if you want to be stubborn I see no reason to continue the discussion.

Do you lack reading comprehension or are you intentionally putting words in my mouth for some other reason?

I never once said that nor did I insinuate it, but if you want to be stubborn I see no reason to continue the discussion.

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out then...

Second of all, I fully know what ad hominem and personal attacks are. When you call me arrogant for recognizing that the FO has made some mistakes over the past year or so, you are not attacking my point. Instead, you are attacking me which is an instance of ad hominem.

BTW, Ad hominem is using something about you to discredit a point you made. I NEVER once did that.

This is futile though because you can't understand that my initial post was simply a general statement about posters that are apparently similar to you. You act as if you have the right to determine what moves are and aren't the correct moves and that no one should question you. Rather than intelligent debates of all of the facts and possibilities, it usually results in quick one line quips and disingenuous misrepresentation of data. This board wasn't always like that, I used to learn a lot just by lurking here in the past.

For example you call not signing Boldin an "obvious" wrong decision. The arrogance of that statement is beyond belief. If it was "obvious" then the Patriots Front office is full of absolute morons to miss an "obvious" move. So either the Patriots FO is filled with incompetent people or it's not as "obvious" as you claim it to be.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back