Welcome to PatsFans.com

Will the Pats now play more 4-3?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by tombonneau, Nov 27, 2007.

1. tombonneau

tombonneau In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

Given the injury to Colvin and the lack of quality depth at LB -- combined with depth on DL -- do you think NE is going to show more 4-3 looks in the past?

I know the old party line -- every game is different, blah blah.

While that is true, overall BB still played more 3-4 than 4-3. Period.

Do you think we'll see a shift in that philosophy? I have to think we will...

2. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

it's a great idea that plays to our d-line strength and hides our ILB weakness

3. Brady_12

Brady_12 Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

I sure hope so. I don't think the Junior-TB combo will be as effective as AD-Junior and AD-TB has been.

4. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +645 / 51 / -21

As was indicated, we will need to play more 4-3 in the next five games to reduce Bruschi's reps. We also should be giving Alexander plenty of work. The goal, after all, is winning the SB.

5. sarge

sarge Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

I think it should be something seriously considered.

At this point we have better D linemen then linebackers.

6. RayClay

RayClay Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +1,505 / 19 / -17

#75 Jersey

It hides our ILB weakness?

How does it make our old, heavy linebackers twice as fast?

1/3 of a field is more than 1/4th I hate to tell you.

7. AndyJohnson

AndyJohnson PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,625 / 34 / -24

This is obviously the annual Lets play 43 campaign. Every year we hear this and every year we play 3-4, but against certain opponents we morph into more 4-3.

Annual reminder:
    We play our base 34 on less than 50% of the snaps. We play a version of nickel (3-3-5 or 4-2-5 where OLBs become DEs) or dime just as often.
    Bruschi and Seau can play the base, and split the nickel and still each only play 3/4 of the snaps at the most. (we also use Rodney in a LB spot in the nickel many times)
    Alexander and/or Woods and/or chad Brown can handle the 2-3 plays they might need to play without any worry.
    BB thought enough of Alexander to play him most of the AFCC last year, so I don't think he is useless. Woods has stuck around, so I don't think we would be afraid to put him on the field as a reserve.

We have the ability to use Green, Woods, Warren, Seymour, Wright in addition to Vrabel and Thomas as nickel/dime DEs, meaning Bruschi and or Seau will not always play in nickel packages.
    If we have a normal 60 defensive snaps in a game, you will probably see Bruschi in for 30-35 and Seau in for 25-30. Thats no big deal.

8. letekro

letekro In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +126 / 18 / -12

What he said. In passing situations, we generally have 3 LB's on the field, so, as always, it will be a mix of 3-4 and 4-3.

9. Metaphors

Metaphors In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

I'm quoting your whole post to force people to read it again. While Colvin is a great player, this is not a Freeney situation.

10. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +894 / 7 / -3

The Patriots are very unpredictable, and are so versatile that they just play whatever defense the situation dictates. If they continue to put up 40 points a game, I can't help but think that they'd move to a defense similar to what they played against Indy, where they use Rodney as a quasi linebacker. What's killed the Pats on defense this year, or where they've looked vulnerable, is in the middle of the field. The bottom line is they are slow up the middle. The injury hurts, but maybe Alexander's speed might help us in that department.

11. FrontSeven

FrontSeven Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Questions, questions, always asking pesky questions.