PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will the Pats have to run the table for the #2 seed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think this division is a lock by any means. A 17 point lead in the 4th quarter is supposed to be more of a lock than winning the division is. I could see this team losing one or all of these games--@ MIA, @HOU, @NO.

I don't think this division is a lock by any means. A 17 point lead in the 4th quarter is supposed to be more of a lock than winning the division is. I could see this team losing one or all of these games--@ MIA, @HOU, @NO.

Not to be facetious, but the winner of the division is the team that finishes with the best overall record, not the best record in divisional games. . . .

The Patriots won't win any of their remaining games if they

play badly.

I can see us with the #3 seed which would be fine
#1 Indy
#2 Bengals
#3 Pats would play the other WC
#4 Chargers would play Steelers

WC Steelers and ?

Both the Chargers and Steelers can win @ Indy and we would play the Bengals.

I can see us with the #3 seed which would be fine
#1 Indy
#2 Bengals
#3 Pats would play the other WC
#4 Chargers would play Steelers

WC Steelers and ?

Both the Chargers and Steelers can win @ Indy and we would play the Bengals.

Assuming Baltimore beats Cleveland tonight, I believe that the division loser between Cincinnati and Pittsburgh (probably Pittsburgh) will get the first wild card, and the second wild card spot will be a dogfight between 3 teams:

1. The division loser between San Diego and Denver (both currently 6-3)
2. Baltimore (5-4), who still has to play the Steelers twice and Indy
3. Houston (5-4), who we play in Houston game 16, when they may need a win to get in

That will be a rough fight.

Realistically I think we probably go 12-4 and end up the #3 seed in the AFC. 13-3 and #2 is possible, but less likely right now. 11-5 is possible, but if we play the way we did yesterday I have a hard time seeing us lose more than 1 remaining game.

I think the most likely scenario is the one you list: the Pats are the #3 seed and host the 2nd wild card team. The division winner between SD and Denver is the #4 seed and hosts the division loser of Pittsburgh/Cincinnati, who I think wins that game. I think either Pittsburgh or Cincinnati would stand a good chance against Indy in Indy.

If we end up the #3 seed then we go to Pittsburgh or Cincinnati, assuming we beat the wild card team. If we win out and end up the #2 seed then we get a bye and will probably host the division winner of Pittsbugh or Cincinnati, assuming they beat the wild card team.

Still very early, though.

The ONLY thing that really bugs me is; to see Indy play outside. If they win it all so be it.I'll tip my hat to them. I hate that they play in that dome. Does anyone believe they could win in Jan @ Pitts or NE. They are not the same team outside.

I'm confident with rest of our schedule. Obviously Jets game is BIG divisional and I see no reason why we can't take division. Saints aren't a lock either. We can go in there like Colts ( finish this time). Whose to say Colts can't dog it down stretch? They pulled out close ones. Best thing out of last night's lose is our D is gonna take it personal that they couldn't get it done and come with something to proove.

anyone else think an extra playoff game could prove useful for the pats? it let's them roll right into the playoffs (hopefully with momentum) and more likely than not, they would have to travel to Cincy IF they are the #2 seed. not to mention the extra playing time could benefit the D a little...just look at our good friends the '07 Giants...

The Patriots won't win any of their remaining games if they play badly.
Thank you for that insightful analysis, I don't know why nobody has considered that.

:D
anyone else think an extra playoff game could prove useful for the pats? it let's them roll right into the playoffs (hopefully with momentum) and more likely than not, they would have to travel to Cincy IF they are the #2 seed. not to mention the extra playing time could benefit the D a little...just look at our good friends the '07 Giants...

On the opposite side, The colts will have a 3 week rest and come out mega flat and 1 n done

i really hope so, but its too early to get caught up in all of that. just focus on the jets for now

All of you should remember that this is not the 2003, 2004, or 2007

version of the NE Patriots. The overall talent is nowhere as good

especially on defense. I don't think the Patriots are good enough

to finish up 6-1. A 5-2 or 4-3 record would be more realistic. A

loss to an AFC East team might be fatal to their playoff hopes.

I would disagree with that statement to a degree. The overall talent is there on the defense - I would even go as far as saying there is more potential talent on this defense than in any of those years, even 2003. There's more talent on offense than any of those years, even 2007 (with Morris and Taylor healthy). Just give the defense another year or two, and it can be elite (just think: Mayo, Meriweather, Warren, Guyton, McGowan, Butler, Wilhite, Chung, Pryor, Brace, Wright...maybe even Wilfork will stick around).

The defenses of 2001-2007 were built on veteran leadership: Bruschi, Seymour, Rodney, Washington, Johnson, Vrabel, McGinest, Phifer, Law, Milloy, etc. Some of those players certainly over-achieved. But talent-wise, this 2008-2012 defense trumps that. I just think the Pats may have missed on Asante; he would have fit right in with this defense.

Last edited:
Well, they have to finish ahead of Pittsburgh to get a bye, since Pitt has a tiebreaker on them. And since I don't see Pitt finishing worse than 12-4, it looks like 13-3 is necessary for a bye. To be honest, IMO they had to beat Indy to get the bye. The bye is pretty much out of reach at this point, and any path to the SB is going to likely go through both Indy and Pittsburgh unless Pitt chokes.

The ONLY thing that really bugs me is; to see Indy play outside. If they win it all so be it.I'll tip my hat to them. I hate that they play in that dome. Does anyone believe they could win in Jan @ Pitts or NE. They are not the same team outside.

Well, that's why games like last night matter. They'd get their asses handed to them in Pitt or NE, but they won't have to go there because they win the games that they have to win, and we don't.

We are not going to win AFC championship. It's over for us.

Thank you for that insightful analysis, I don't know why nobody has considered that.

Most posters are assuming that the Patriots have a fairly easy road to
the playoffs. I don't agree with them.

They have 4 remaining road games: Saints, Dolphins, Bills, and
Houston. With the exception of the Bills, all these teams are capable
of beating the Patriots.

Their remaining home games are: Jets, Carolina, Jaguars. Easier
schedule than the road games but not pushovers.

The Patriots need to beat the Jet on Sunday to have a chance of
sweeping their home schedule.

I expect them to lose two of the road games.

8-0 at home and 3-5 on the road gives them 11-5 and a probable
playoff spot. One home loss and they finish 10-6 like John Clayton
predicted and probably no playoff spot unless both the Jets and
Dolphins fall apart.

I would disagree with that statement to a degree. The overall talent is there on the defense - I would even go as far as saying there is more potential talent on this defense than in any of those years, even 2003. There's more talent on offense than any of those years, even 2007 (with Morris and Taylor healthy). Just give the defense another year or two, and it can be elite (just think: Mayo, Meriweather, Warren, Guyton, McGowan, Butler, Wilhite, Chung, Pryor, Brace, Wright...maybe even Wilfork will stick around).

The defenses of 2001-2007 were built on veteran leadership: Bruschi, Seymour, Rodney, Washington, Johnson, Vrabel, McGinest, Phifer, Law, Milloy, etc. Some of those players certainly over-achieved. But talent-wise, this 2008-2012 defense trumps that. I just think the Pats may have missed on Asante; he would have fit right in with this defense.
Our Superbowl teams could shut the opposing offenses down and run the
ball when the game was on the line. This current team can't.

Geez, I just wanna beat the Jets on Sunday.......

Geez, I just wanna beat the Jets on Sunday.......

So do I. I bought two tickets for Sunday's game to see the Patriots

get revenge. I hope the Patriots don't have a 6 point lead with two

minutes to go and 4th down and 2 on their 30 yard line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes