PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will the Patriots let Asante walk after 2007?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah - your reaching to suggest that I thought this was what the deal was hinging on. Who really knows, but its not far-fetched at all to suggest that they did not want it made public.
No, what I said is exactly what you're suggesting.

I think you would have to look at Donte Stallworth, Randy Moss, and Asante Samuel as possible but not likely candidates to be franchised.
Stallworth has a team option, he's not going to be Franchised.

No, what I said is exactly what you're suggesting.

Stallworth has a team option, he's not going to be Franchised.

That team option is more expensive than it would be to franchise him.

Your right they don't have much of a reason to cave on that. But then again, what did the Bears get in return for letting Lance Briggs walk? Their defense wasn't going to falter all that much. Need I remind you that this is the Patriots we are dealing with? They deny every rumor regarding trades and decline to reveal the severity of injuries - by simply asking his agents to not "trumpet" this information in return for not tagging him would be a small concession for Samuel's agents. By letting that information be public, it could create a potential distraction in the lockerroom all year long.
I gotta say I don't understand that logic... why would agreeing not to franchise Samuel be a distraction...? :confused:

Boy there's an awful lot of people in here that seem to think the Patriots players are so fragile that they are going to be completely distracted and suffer a "disincentive to excel" based on the Asante Samuel negotiations... I just don't understand the logic...

I guess when Brandon Meriweather takes the field for the first time in NY, the #1 thing on his mind will be "Man, I sure do hope they don't franchise Asante Samuel again.... :rolleyes:

Your right they don't have much of a reason to cave on that. But then again, what did the Bears get in return for letting Lance Briggs walk? Their defense wasn't going to falter all that much. Need I remind you that this is the Patriots we are dealing with? They deny every rumor regarding trades and decline to reveal the severity of injuries - by simply asking his agents to not "trumpet" this information in return for not tagging him would be a small concession for Samuel's agents. By letting that information be public, it could create a potential distraction in the lockerroom all year long.

No, can I remind YOU that this is the Patriots and there is no WAY they would cave to a ridiculous demand from a player who has literally ZERO leverage.

I think you would have to look at Donte Stallworth, Randy Moss, and Asante Samuel as possible but not likely candidates to be franchised.
There's no way whatsoever they franchise a WR... BB will never pay top-5 dollars to those players at that position. Franchising Asante (again) remain a certain possibility, but I think it's really a discussion we should save for February.

Last edited:
Who really knows, but its not far-fetched at all to suggest that they did not want it made public.

It's even less far-fetched to suggest that THEY DIDN'T DO IT AT ALL because they won't. A good way to not have it "made public" is to avoid caving in the first place.

Last edited:
No it wouldn't because the bonus would be spread over the life of the contract.

Miguel has his 2008 cap hit at $6.3M. The Franchise tag for a WR this year was $7.6M.

I gotta say I don't understand that logic... why would agreeing not to franchise Samuel be a distraction...? :confused:

Boy there's an awful lot of people in here that seem to think the Patriots players are so fragile that they are going to be completely distracted and suffer a "disincentive to excel" based on the Asante Samuel negotiations... I just don't understand the logic...

I guess when Brandon Meriweather takes the field for the first time in NY, the #1 thing on his mind will be "Man, I sure do hope they don't franchise Asante Samuel again.... :rolleyes:

Sure when you think about it that way my point doesn't hold much weight does it. Unfortunately thats not what I was getting at - the media in and around Boston is pretty overbearing, and the types of questions they would pose to player all year long knowing Asante is free to walk could get pretty annoying.
"So Ellis, since Asante had 2 picks today, making that 6 on the year - it really figures that he is well on his way to getting that new contract? Do you think the Patriots are going to give that to him?"

How do you franchise a guy that is not a FA?

I hope that you are just pulling everyone's leg here because the alternative is just too troubling to even think about.

"So Ellis, since Asante had 2 picks today, making that 6 on the year - it really figures that he is well on his way to getting that new contract? Do you think the Patriots are going to give that to him?"
"I don't have the first clue about Asante's contract situation. Next question."

Yeah, that sure would distract the team from such inconsequential things as winning a Super Bowl... :rolleyes:

No, can I remind YOU that this is the Patriots and there is no WAY they would cave to a ridiculous demand from a player who has literally ZERO leverage.

Clearly you don't value Asante Samuel's contributions to this team. You know what maybe the Patriots got it in to their heads that seeing Randal Gay line up against Reggie Wayne or TJ Housh in the postseason wasn't such a great idea afterall.

Clearly you don't value Asante Samuel's contributions to this team. You know what maybe the Patriots got it in to their heads that seeing Randal Gay line up against Reggie Wayne or TJ Housh in the postseason wasn't such a great idea afterall.

Gay covered Wayne in the 2004 playoffs.

Last edited:
How do you franchise a guy that is not a FA?

I hope that you are just pulling everyone's leg here because the alternative is just too troubling to even think about.

Well I don't have Donte Stallworths contract in front of me, but it was pointed out that the contract is basically a one year deal - with a large team option. Mike Florio of profootballtalk.com reported that the franchise tag would be a cheaper option for the Patriots after the one year, and it was highly unlikely the team option would be picked up. Drew Rosenhaus called the deal "a one year deal".

Gay covered Wayne in the 2004 playoffs.

Look that was amazing game - but you can't realistically believe that Reggie Wayne will have problems with Randall Gay.

one year at a time...

Well I don't have Donte Stallworths contract in front of me, but it was pointed out that the contract is basically a one year deal - with a large team option. Mike Florio of profootballtalk.com reported that the franchise tag would be a cheaper option for the Patriots after the one year, and it was highly unlikely the team option would be picked up. Drew Rosenhaus called the deal "a one year deal".

Mike is a fool. The contract is essentially a 5yr deal at $6mm a year - very reasonable for a top flite WR - with a one year trial year tacked on the front end. The roster bonus that Donte is due in year 2 is tantamount to what a normal signing bonus would be.

Most media people can't drink if you lead them to water.

Look that was amazing game - but you can't realistically believe that Reggie Wayne will have problems with Randall Gay.

Why? He did it before. As long as NE's front 7 play well Gay is a fine CB. Blue is a decent CB even with average QB pressure. You are barking up the wrong tree with this one. Frankly, again, your posts have a significant amount of ignorance laced with defensiveness: a dangerous combination.

Last edited:
http://blogs.rotoworld.com/Fantasy_Football/2007/03/donte_a_shortterm_fix.php#more

Donte' a short-term fix

I wasted a lot of time Sunday writing up the minutia of Donte' Stallworth's contract. Some writers tried to make the case that New England could pony up $9.6 million in bonuses for 2007 if Stallworth played at a Pro Bowl level, but even his agent admits it's a one-year deal.

Explaning why Stallworth choose New England over Miami, the uber-agent said, "[The money] was very comparable. It really was a matter of Donte' knowing that he's going to be in a one-year situation, and he needs to succeed. And, frankly, he wants to win.

It was best for him to sign with New England because of Tom Brady. Donte' really thought a lot of [Dolphins coach] Cam Cameron. But Donte' [signed] a one-year contract, so it's imperative for him that he put himself in the best environment to succeed. Right now the Patriots are more solid offensively than Miami because of the uncertainty at quarterback. The Dolphins might sign Trent Green. Is [Daunte] Culpepper going to be healthy? Is Cleo Lemon ready? Well, Tom Brady is the best."

So that's that. New England will get the first crack on re-signing Stallworth next February, but the $6 million roster bonus due on February 25 will make sure it's early.

Meanwhile, I'm not so sure Stallworth will be able to put up huge numbers with New England signing every free agent wideout available. Stallworth and Wes Welker should be guaranteed roles, but Reche Caldwell, Kelley Washington, and Jabar Gaffney will be fighting for targets as well.

Best-case scenario for New England: they keep Stallworth's stats down by spreading the ball around, then re-structure his contract to a reasonable level next year. In fantasy leagues, I'm expecting Deion Branch-type numbers at best.

http://blogs.rotoworld.com/Fantasy_Football/2007/03/donte_a_shortterm_fix.php#more

Donte' a short-term fix

I wasted a lot of time Sunday writing up the minutia of Donte' Stallworth's contract. Some writers tried to make the case that New England could pony up $9.6 million in bonuses for 2007 if Stallworth played at a Pro Bowl level, but even his agent admits it's a one-year deal.

Explaning why Stallworth choose New England over Miami, the uber-agent said, "[The money] was very comparable. It really was a matter of Donte' knowing that he's going to be in a one-year situation, and he needs to succeed. And, frankly, he wants to win.

It was best for him to sign with New England because of Tom Brady. Donte' really thought a lot of [Dolphins coach] Cam Cameron. But Donte' [signed] a one-year contract, so it's imperative for him that he put himself in the best environment to succeed. Right now the Patriots are more solid offensively than Miami because of the uncertainty at quarterback. The Dolphins might sign Trent Green. Is [Daunte] Culpepper going to be healthy? Is Cleo Lemon ready? Well, Tom Brady is the best."

So that's that. New England will get the first crack on re-signing Stallworth next February, but the $6 million roster bonus due on February 25 will make sure it's early.

Meanwhile, I'm not so sure Stallworth will be able to put up huge numbers with New England signing every free agent wideout available. Stallworth and Wes Welker should be guaranteed roles, but Reche Caldwell, Kelley Washington, and Jabar Gaffney will be fighting for targets as well.

Best-case scenario for New England: they keep Stallworth's stats down by spreading the ball around, then re-structure his contract to a reasonable level next year. In fantasy leagues, I'm expecting Deion Branch-type numbers at best.

Please read my post again.

The contract is essentially a 5yr deal at $6mm a year - very reasonable for a top flite WR - with a one year trial year tacked on the front end. The roster bonus that Donte is due in year 2 is tantamount to what a normal signing bonus would be.

The agent talks about it like it is a one year deal because only two posibilities exist:

1) Donte gets a lucrative 5 year "extension" with normal bonus money
2) Donte is a free agent.

Again, please think a little. Is $9.6mm really a lot for the signing bonus on a good FA WR? You do realize that that is not a ridiculous amount of money in today's NFL, right?

Why? He did it before. As long as NE's front 7 play well Gay is a fine CB. Blue is a decent CB even with average QB pressure. You are barking up the wrong tree with this one. Frankly, again, your posts have a significant amount of ignorance laced with defensiveness: a dangerous combination.

Ok - you be the homer and I'll be the one that respects probowl opponents. You're talking about a corner that hasn seen little to no action in nearly 2 years lining up against one of the best recievers in the NFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes