PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WIll the new cap help only the stars???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pats726

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm
Interesting blurb from PFTalk.....esp about agents of FAs over 30 who may be delusional into thinking about the big bucks...I am wondering how this may affect the Patriots...maybe picking up some FAs who want the big bucks and fall...(in time that is... ) OR of some that may be more realistic and want to play for a winner. I do think it will be fun to see who over pays..and how the Patriots can take advantage of that.

I am always fascinated by those who suggest that a player should want to play for a winner instead of for the money.

I suspect that Microsoft doesn't hire many people on that basis,

Pats726 said:
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm
Interesting blurb from PFTalk.....esp about agents of FAs over 30 who may be delusional into thinking about the big bucks...I am wondering how this may affect the Patriots...maybe picking up some FAs who want the big bucks and fall...(in time that is... ) OR of some that may be more realistic and want to play for a winner. I do think it will be fun to see who over pays..and how the Patriots can take advantage of that.

mgteich said:
I am always fascinated by those who suggest that a player should want to play for a winner instead of for the money.

I suspect that Microsoft doesn't hire many people on that basis,
There are some that are not just mercenary...do you not think there are some that would have taken less money and had a ring instead??

I believe that the POTENTIAL of a ring may be important to some, especially in their fifth contract (e.g. Law), but with aprity most teams have that potential.

But no I don't believe that there are very many such players. Even players like Bruschi and Brown often used as examples, did not accept less for the ring. They gave that old-fashioned home town advantage that a few have given to either the team that they play for (rare) or more often to the place where their family wants to live.

For example, McGinist will likely consider San Diego at a lower price than the pats might offer. I would note that San Diego is certainly a contender for a ring.

Pats726 said:
There are some that are not just mercenary...do you not think there are some that would have taken less money and had a ring instead??

mgteich said:
But no I don't believe that there are very many such players.
But maybe that might be what is wrong with sports in general..players going for the $$$$ more important than the game itself. That certainly is the trend...and you indeed might be right..but that was not what sports was about many many years ago. But that is a philosophical point..

Mg,
I get your point, and agree with you to a degree.
But it is different 'working for a winner' in industry vs a sport.
Microsoft doesnt win or lose on 16 Sundays, and 'live or die' by it.
The other thing is that there isnt a tangible a report card, as you win or you lose in industry.

I think the thing most people dont consider is that most players have such an ego that they believe they will make thier team a winner, or conversely the winning team they were on won because of them.

Woody, Law, and Washington all made comments expecting to win at the lame franchises they went to.

On the other hand is believing in the franchise and coaching staff.
I have absolutely no question that a player with equal offers would rather play for Belichick than Norv Turner. How much cash they would give up for that is debatable.

I think where it hapens is with players who become frustrated playing for a losing organization. They see one like the Pats, and want to be part of it.

Christian Fauria has said that when the Patriots were introduced as a team in SB XXXVI that he called a relative he had a bet with (he had the Rams) and conceeded before kickoff, and immediatley decided he wanted to try to sign here.

I agree that a player might choose a team for less money if they have a better coaching staff. We have the best, but there are many other good ones. And note that the coordinators and position coaches are usually more important to the player than the head coach.

AndyJohnson said:
Mg,
I get your point, and agree with you to a degree.
But it is different 'working for a winner' in industry vs a sport.
Microsoft doesnt win or lose on 16 Sundays, and 'live or die' by it.
The other thing is that there isnt a tangible a report card, as you win or you lose in industry.

I think the thing most people dont consider is that most players have such an ego that they believe they will make thier team a winner, or conversely the winning team they were on won because of them.

Woody, Law, and Washington all made comments expecting to win at the lame franchises they went to.

On the other hand is believing in the franchise and coaching staff.
I have absolutely no question that a player with equal offers would rather play for Belichick than Norv Turner. How much cash they would give up for that is debatable.

I think where it hapens is with players who become frustrated playing for a losing organization. They see one like the Pats, and want to be part of it.

Christian Fauria has said that when the Patriots were introduced as a team in SB XXXVI that he called a relative he had a bet with (he had the Rams) and conceeded before kickoff, and immediatley decided he wanted to try to sign here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back