Will Tate be Active this Sunday?

• Yes

Votes: 59 45.4%
  • No

Votes: 71 54.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw that. Although it's interesting, it's not news-worthy.

I want to know WHY he thinks that. Sloppy journalism. No depth.

In his defense, he only had 140 characters to work with. ;)

Aiken is like Kelly Washington was on this team - Pretty good STer but less than average WR - Kelly was sent on his way and if Aiken does not help the passing game I can't see him here long either.

Kelly was let go because his salary was about to jump to more than he was worth. Aiken was just signed to a more reasonable deal. He's not bad at receiver. He blocks great, which is important for the screen and run games. He'll even get open occasionally, so they have to at least be honest in their coverage. I wouldn't want him replacing Moss or Welker, but on a team with them and Watson and Faulk, he'll be serviceable, which is more than we could say for Joey.

In today's presser, BB said that Nunn, being on the practice squad, sometimes runs more routes than the regular receivers, in both scout team action and regular offense practice. He seems high on Nunn, so I'm guessing it's Nunn.

Except LeVoir is almost certainly going to be activated as backup tackle. If Nunn gets activated, they are going to have to waive or IR someone in the next three weeks, because Tate can't stay in post-PUP (or NFI) limbo past that. If Nunn is any good as our 3rd receiver, he won't slip through waivers next time around, and Tate certainly won't. Activating Nunn then puts the team on the spot regarding who they cut or dump to IR. (Maybe Lockett will be that guy once Sanders is back, but BB likes to keep his options open.)

Add to that, Tate doesn't have a steep learning curve to be a kickoff returner, and he's a big upgrade over Faulk and Slater, and we can't afford to have Maroney out there with Taylor and Morris out for a while.

Pretty much a given that we see LeVoir and Tate activated this week.

Tate over Nunn because he can be optioned back to IR without question within the 3 week window, whereas if you activate Nunn, he must stay on the roster or be cut, and cannot go to the IR without suffering a season-ending injury, at least with an injury that doesn't invite inquiry from the commish.

If Tate for some reason is unable to cut it (highly unlikely because of his added talent as a KR) he can be optioned to IR and Nunn promoted. Or we can always sign another 40 or 50 year old, washed up WR.

Last edited:
Pretty much a given that we see LeVoir and Tate activated this week.

I hope you're right. I'm eager to see what Tate can add, at least as a returner. But I don't think this week.

Don't rush Tate. The brother is coming off of major surgery.

According to what?

Slater, Welker, Maroney and Faulk have all returned kicks and punts at an NFL level, and done well for themselves.

Butler and Wheatley, and I'm sure others, were all very good return men in college.

So, theres 6 guys atleast who could return kicks, although Welker and Maroney are probably off the list because of the injuries to Edelman and Morris/Taylor. SO I'd hardly say its a need.

Welker, Maroney and Faulk would be off the list in all honest.

Butler and Wheatley have very limited experience in doing kick returns. Butler has 20 and Wheatley has 37. Tate has 109 kick returns and 79 punt returns to his credit. Tate broke the total return yards record in the NCAA prior to his injury. He was also on pace to shatter the over-all kick return yards record (he was only 304 yards shy of that) and he was only 165 punt return yards shy of 1000 for his career. TATE is a bonifide return man.

That being said, Tate would have to prove in practice that he can do the kick and punt returns comfortably to be activated. He'd also need to show something in the passing game. Otherwise, its likely that Nunn would be activated. There is ALSO the potential that BOTH could be activated with Tate doing the Kick/Punt Returns and Nunn seeing duty in the multi-receiver sets.

With Edelman nursing a busted arm and Tate eligible to come off PUP, Brandon Tate (and any potential contributions) seem to be a hot and polarizing board topic.

Thought I'd take an official poll and see who thinks he will see the field as soon as this Sunday.

With Galloway gone and assuming Edelman is out, that gives the Pats only three healthy WRs in Moss, Welker and Aiken.

Frankly, I don't see how Tate isn't active and on the field for a few plays. The only way he isn't is if Nunn is brought up from the PS.
The Bucs are giving up 4.9 yards per carry.

Run the ball down the field, score and burn up the clock. First 2-hour game in NFL history. Brady can make it to Harrods before they close.

That being said, Tate would have to prove in practice that he can do the kick and punt returns comfortably to be activated. He'd also need to show something in the passing game. Otherwise, its likely that Nunn would be activated. There is ALSO the potential that BOTH could be activated with Tate doing the Kick/Punt Returns and Nunn seeing duty in the multi-receiver sets.

I agree that they both will likely be activated...I think we need both for the tough part of the schedule after the bye week. Nunn has had a preseason and a lot of practice field time. Tate needs both and so the Bucs game should be his preseason game. This logic favors Tate being the one activated first.

BTW, It should be noted that Butler was on the DNP list for Wednesday's practice with an ankle injury. That means one less player who could potentially run back kicks...

I wish someone for the Patriots Sports beat would mention who they see taking reps back there.

BTW, It should be noted that Butler was on the DNP list for Wednesday's practice with an ankle injury. That means one less player who could potentially run back kicks...

I wish someone for the Patriots Sports beat would mention who they see taking reps back there.

LOL they probably would IF THEY WERE ALLOWED TO WATCH ACTUAL PRACTICE...;)

LOL they probably would IF THEY WERE ALLOWED TO WATCH ACTUAL PRACTICE...;)

In unrelated news, the Dana-Farber has no windows, and you can't see the practice field from through the glass doors.

Nunn was terrible at returns during preseason and he only got open against scrubs. He will only be activated if Tate really isn't ready. If Nunn plays I doubt he contributes.

Tate has college return records. He is physically similar to Edelman. If he can play; he should play.

its ******* stupid if they rush this guy back..... especially right before a BUY WEEK..... utter stupidity if he is activated soon.:confused::confused::confused:

its ******* stupid if they rush this guy back..... especially right before a BUY WEEK..... utter stupidity if he is activated soon.:confused::confused::confused:

I have never been this convinced that activating Tate when they did was a great idea. Thank you, HarkDawg.

First step is to get activated, now lets see if he will feature. At this moment, all we need is someone different, I don't really care if he will be good, but at least someone to give defenders something to think about.

What makes you say that?

Also I didn't know it was buy week, I thought it was sell week because earning reports lately have been reported to be running out of good news so you want to dump stocks and lock in your profits while the going is good.

There is a BYE week next SUNDAY.

Give him the week OFF. Not a tough call guys.

Last edited:
This isn't about the third WR on the field. Brandon Tate is here to return kicks. That's why I wanted him activated. Please don't say we need a third receiver for Randy Moss and Wes Welker to get open. That would rediculous. Aiken is number three or maybe Tate comes in to occupy space. So what, Randy Moss and Wes Welker are still out there. Besides, Watson is back and Brady would look his way before looking at Aiken and Ben has caught the ball really well this season.

Maybe Tate gets more involved. That would be great and a bonus. I just want a threatening return man.

I realize that... I just posted in 4 forums..... It was an honest mistake.

i hit reply w/o reviewing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back