Welcome to PatsFans.com

Will Talib be here next year?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Brady_to_Moss, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patsinthesnow

patsinthesnow PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,030 / 20 / -7

#87 Jersey

A shutdown CB is worth way more than 5-6 mil a year. I'm happy if we paid him 8-9 per with injury clauses and whatnot.

2. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +4,280 / 46 / -16

I don't see the Pats spending a lot of money on Talib. His injury history and off the field problems are going to scare the Pats and most teams from giving him a big deal.

3. PATSYLICIOUS

PATSYLICIOUS Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +192 / 1 / -3

#12 Jersey

He's not a shutdown CB though.

4. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,112 / 16 / -9

I know when Aquataliban went down, that was my first "oh shoot" moment of the game. I was pretty confident about our chances until that point.

We've had a mixed record filling the CB spots through the draft. We might get another serviceable corner or two through free agency, but I don't see us picking up a plug-and-play upgrade through the draft. It just looks easy in retrospect when you focus on guys that ended up as good as they were supposed to be.

5. patsinthesnow

patsinthesnow PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,030 / 20 / -7

#87 Jersey

He's pretty damn good though. Revis is the only shutdown CB in the league anyways. I thought Sherman was until he got torched in the playoffs, and Champ is toast.

I'm just scared of the CB position going in a tailspin when a simple resign gives us our best CB duo since Law/Poole. Who will start across from Dennard if he leaves? Another rookie? Dowling (lol)? A moderate priced vet....

6. PATSYLICIOUS

Ratings:
    +192 / 1 / -3

#12 Jersey

If he was more durable and didn't have the off the field concerns, no doubt in my mind he'd command at least $8-9M per, based on the contracts I've seen recently for solid but non-shutdown CB's. He is very good and his leadership had a huge effect too. I just think with the concerns listed it's going to be difficult for him to find a contract in the $8-9M per range. I think $6-7M per would be tops for him elsewhere and if he likes it in NE as much as he says he does, we should be able to sign him for a small discount. At least I'm hoping.

7. Joey007

Joey007 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +484 / 9 / -4

#91 Jersey

First off, Im willing to let Vollmer walk, too much money. Then give Welker his deal. Then maybe we could use the tag on Talib??

8. DocHoliday

DocHoliday In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +134 / 2 / -1

With a 36 year old QB, your RT >>>>> any WR.

9. Luke Skywelker

Luke Skywelker Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Will be interesting to see how the Talib situation plays out - he's the best FA CB on the market and CB's are coveted in the pass happy NFL, in his prime contract year but finished the season talking about how NE was football heaven. The injury history is concerning - he gets dinged easy. The hip wasn't necessarily a fall that keeps most players out, the hammy looked like nothing but striding out a jog. Let's see how supply/demand works out there. If there is one thing we do know, BB has no clue how to draft a CB, just not sure if he feels that way.

10. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +687 / 53 / -21

Given who will be available, we will lucky to be able to re-sign Talib and Arrington, our starters at corner and nickel back. More likely, we will a weaker secondary in 2013.

11. zipster9

zipster9 Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +74 / 6 / -5

Problem is our D is totally dependent on him. Our D SHOULD not be dependent on a single CB. That just tells you our D has more problems than people realize.

Defense DOES win games. Patriots need to revamp (again) the Secondary as well as our DL and LBs.

- Dump Coles (reminds me of Sergio Brown)
    - Dump Chung (he has nothing left in tank)
    - Keep Arrington in slot, not matter who goes down

Maybe we can sign EdReed for 1yr?

12. grux

grux On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0

#24 Jersey

Totally agree. The pats are smart with their money and I don't see them breaking the bank for a player that has a history of injury/off field problems. The only way I would sign him is if he wants takes a big home town discount.

13. PATSYLICIOUS

Ratings:
    +192 / 1 / -3

#12 Jersey

CB and S should be top priorities in the draft. Like you said, losing one guy shouldn't end up being that fatal. Get another outside CB or pray that Dowling stays healthy for a change, that way in last night's situation they can step in for Talib and Arrington is still in the slot. I don't think we have the cap space to afford a guy like Reed, if we are planning to keep Talib, Welker, etc.

14. Ivan

Ivan Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +1,832 / 37 / -73

#75 Jersey

If Talib wants to stay they would probably be willing to go to 20 for 4 back loaded but I don't see them going to far beyond that. He definitely helps when he is out there but it is his inability to stay on the field that is the most troubling thing about a big deal for him. He is definitely going to get bigger offers on the open market so it will come down to what he sees as his best interests.

15. zipster9

zipster9 Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +74 / 6 / -5

Sadly, RasI has a injury-history in college. Why Patriots ignored that, I dont know... 2yrs now, RasI has been useless. I think he is another fatal draft mistake by the Patriots.

Really, Patriots need to fire the college-scouts we have and hire competant ones. Maybe we can entice Giants scouts to us?

16. Sciz

Sciz PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +507 / 1 / -1

Not that simple, especially when the Pats could very well have a viable alternative at RT under contract for two more seasons.

17. letekro

letekro In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +150 / 18 / -13

LOL. Did you see how much Leigh Bodden made??? This guy is a better player and completely transformed the Patriots defense, allowing them to take the likes of Anquan Boldin out of the game with single coverage.

We are talking 8-9m/year. and it is well worth it.

18. letekro

letekro In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +150 / 18 / -13

That's fine if welker's deal is in the $4m/year range. Any more than that and I'm not on board with this plan.

19. PATSYLICIOUS

Ratings:
    +192 / 1 / -3

#12 Jersey

Yeah I literally have zero faith in Ras=I staying on the field, though it would be a huge bonus if he ever did become a reliable option outside. That's why we'll likely have to spend yet another round 2 or higher pick on a CB, Dennard I believe is a once in a decade type lower round CB find for us like Asante was.

20. TimU

TimU Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +4 / 8 / -0

BB is very careful about who he gives the big guarenteed money to, and I don't think Talib fits the profile. I anticipate that Talib will walk, McCourty will return to CB, and the team will look for help (again) at the safety spot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.