PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will/should Rodney play this Sat night?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATSNUTme

Paranoid Homer ex-moderator
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
The next big step is coming up for Rodney.

In fact, it could be the biggest step for him to fulfill his destiny to win Comeback Player of the Year, voted to the Pro Bowl, win another SB Championship ( most important for him and us).

He does need to play in game conditions and have contact. At first I felt that he didn't need to be in any pre-season games. But, I think that a couple of series at the beginning of Sat nights game may be the best thing for him. Get it out of the way before the first regular season game.

I would hate to see him go in next Thurs nights game. The 4th pre-season game is usually sloppy with guys flying all over trying to make their last impressions.

The final call on this is Rodney's and BB's.

But, I'm curious at to what some of you are thinking about this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Rodney will not play this week, and maybe not next week, either. He can take his time, as far as I'm concerned. I'd be happy to wait until week 3 for Harrison and Bruschi to get back. We'll need them against Denver.

I say yes, if he can go I'd want him to go this weekend and then sit him out next week. 1)I think he needs at least one game of live contact to shake any of the hesitation out. 2)Do it this weekend at home instead of in the Meadowlands. 3)If he does have some soreness/stiffness then I'd rather have him have a couple of weeks to get worked on rather than having it in NY and perhaps making the opener in question. All that said it depends on how ready he is to go. If he'll be ready next week instead I say wait until the opener and have Hawkins be ready to start against Buf too.

While I would HATE something to happen to Rodney in the preseason, maybe getting in some plays in the first quarter of the Giants game would be beneficial for him.

Rodney is playing Saturday. He needs LIMITED game speed & contact. The 3rd game starters vs starters in the 1st and maybe 2nd QTR is as close to regular season as it gets.

I really want to see Rodney on the field saturday but it will be his decision.
Oh sure, BB is involved in the decision, too but you just know he's gonna ask Rodney how he feels.

I think.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2006/08/rodneys_step.html

August 24, 2006
Rodney's step

Earlier this week, Patriots safety Rodney Harrison said one of his goals was to string together three to four straight practices. He has met that goal, practicing for the third straight day. Harrison is among those player present for today’s practice, which is being held in shorts, shoulder pads, and helmets. We’ll have more from practice in a bit.

Posted By: mreiss | Time: 11:53:55 AM

Last edited:
Only if his knee is 100%, or as much as it can be. I'd rather have him comeback in week 2 or 3, and maybe add a couple of games to get his confidence back, than lose him for a whole season because he tried to comeback too early.

I can easily see the Pats going 3-1 thru the first 4 games even without Bruschi and Harrison.

That's if all the other key players are healthy, and, umm, signed.

NO

Save him for the season opener not pre season and risk something bad happening.

PatsRI said:
I say yes, if he can go I'd want him to go this weekend and then sit him out next week. 1)I think he needs at least one game of live contact to shake any of the hesitation out. 2)Do it this weekend at home instead of in the Meadowlands. 3)If he does have some soreness/stiffness then I'd rather have him have a couple of weeks to get worked on rather than having it in NY and perhaps making the opener in question. All that said it depends on how ready he is to go. If he'll be ready next week instead I say wait until the opener and have Hawkins be ready to start against Buf too.

I agree with all of your points. And with what Pats1 posted, I'm starting to think that we will probably see him on Sat night.

No. Limited time in 1st and 2nd game. Starts game 3.

Zuma said:
No. Limited time in 1st and 2nd game. Starts game 3.

"Rodney" and "limited" don't belong in the same sentence unless "limited" describes the condition after "Rodney" gets done with them.

pats1 said:
"Rodney" and "limited" don't belong in the same sentence unless "limited" describes the condition after "Rodney" gets done with them.
Agreed...but not wise to go at full speed right away. Think he warms up during the 1st 2 games.

It's interesting that Palmer & Culpepper had virtually the same injury as Harrison, and later in the season, Yet Culpepper looks ready and hasn't missed any time, and Palmer will definately play this week. Is it Harrison's age why he is behind their recovery time, or precaution by the Pats ? I'd love to see #37 in the lineup for the season opener, but I'd be fine with waiting until HE feels he's ready. I really hope he'll be in there for at least the Denver game.

scott99 said:
It's interesting that Palmer & Culpepper had virtually the same injury as Harrison, and later in the season, Yet Culpepper looks ready and hasn't missed any time, and Palmer will definately play this week. Is it Harrison's age why he is behind their recovery time, or precaution by the Pats ? I'd love to see #37 in the lineup for the season opener, but I'd be fine with waiting until HE feels he's ready. I really hope he'll be in there for at least the Denver game.
Culpepper is on a new team and has to run the offense. Harrison and Palmer (who also has not played in preseason) don't have to prove anything to their coaching staffs, and each is more than familiar with his respective defensive or offensive unit. It therefore makes sense that their coaches can be more cautious with them.

There's a difference in position as well. Palmer is mainly a pocket QB, as long as his knee is sturdy enough to take the shock of a hit, he's ready to play. Harrison, playing SS as opposed to QB, has to run, cut, tackle, etc. His position is much higher impact on the knees, and therefore he is of greater risk of reinjury.

I had no idea Harrison practice all week.

In that case, IMO I think it'd be good on himself tog et out there and feel the speed of the game a little bit.

Last edited:
Yes...I thiink he needs to..I woiuld rather he play now in 3..than in 4 only. He may not play much..but he would play some...

I've just made myself a nervous wreck by starting this thread.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow nights game with both anticipation and dread. But, the time for Rodney to "get back on the horse" is close.:scared:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back