PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will Seau be back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

carolinatony

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
What's the scoop on him; did he sign for 1 year?
Do we want him back or go younger?
thanks

He's not under contract, but i wouldn't be surprised to see him back...especially given the state of our LB's right now. A veteran, who played well, and is cheap.........sounds good to me!

What's the scoop on him; did he sign for 1 year?
Do we want him back or go younger?
thanks

He played great in 2006 but the Patriots really got lucky that a player added during training camp had such a positive impact. I hope in 2007 they have a more proactive approach.

Case against bringing him back:
- Seau will be 38 at the start of next season
- has 14 plus screws in his arm
- hasn't played a full season since 2001
- when do the Patriots add the next wave of starting LBs into the mix?

Case for bringing him back:
- he played great in 06, if healthy he may produce at the same level
- very good 2 down LB, if used within a rotation maybe he can be protected and stay on the field all year
- he will be cheap ($1 M or so)

IMO I would rather look to someone who can assume at starting ILB for the next 3-4 years so their is continuity when Bruschi retires.

If they do bring him back, it had better not be as anything more than a limited situational player. The guy will be 38 years old and coming off a broken arm.

He would be great for the younger linebackers to learn from esp. if we draft a couple this year. He will also be a stiuational player as has been mentioned and would not come at a big price tag. I say bring him back.

A broken arm might be the single least serious injury a football player could suffer, in terms of recovery for the future.

We're much more aware of the serious consequences of a concussion.
A back injury is often chronic, frequently returning.
A knee injury can require lengthy healing and rehab, and usually reduces speed and burst.
A foot injury can take up to a year to heal.
Even muscle injuries are slow to heal.

A broken arm involves no joints, sort of by definition, since it created a new joint. The bone can grow back stronger.

And, as noted, Seau was probably the most effective ILB in 2006 by the time he was injured.

However, his return is probably dictated by the draft and free agency. If the Pats get a Day One rookie (Willis, Harris, Blades) and a starting free agent (Edwards, Fletcher, Sirmon) then there might not be room for Seau. If they end up with a Day Two rookie (DeOssie, Abbate, Waters, Warren, Washington) they'll probably need him.

If he does come back, I'd say that means that we didn't get the free agents we were hoping for. That said, I'd still like to see him on the team one more year.

A broken arm might be the single least serious injury a football player could suffer, in terms of recovery for the future.

We're much more aware of the serious consequences of a concussion.
A back injury is often chronic, frequently returning.
A knee injury can require lengthy healing and rehab, and usually reduces speed and burst.
A foot injury can take up to a year to heal.
Even muscle injuries are slow to heal.

A broken arm involves no joints, sort of by definition, since it created a new joint. The bone can grow back stronger.

Yes, but the guy is 38. If he were still in his 20s, or even early 30s, this would not even be a concern.

I want him 1 season at least

Bring him back if he comes cheap and keep looking.

It would be great to have him back as a situational role as salty said. Last year he was starting and playing a lot of downs which doesn't bode well from a player in their late 30s. If he could take a Dillon type role next year he may have a chance to survive the entire year

However, his return is probably dictated by the draft and free agency. If the Pats get a Day One rookie (Willis, Harris, Blades) and a starting free agent (Edwards, Fletcher, Sirmon) then there might not be room for Seau. If they end up with a Day Two rookie (DeOssie, Abbate, Waters, Warren, Washington) they'll probably need him.

My Gawd!
I'd hardly call DeOssie a rookie!

(Disclaimer: I know nothing about the draft)

It would be great to have him back as a situational role as salty said. Last year he was starting and playing a lot of downs which doesn't bode well from a player in their late 30s. If he could take a Dillon type role next year he may have a chance to survive the entire year

He was brought in as a "situational" player this year, and worked his way into a bigger role.

who says he can't do it again?

Please bring him back. Mentor, leader, and his run support is stiffer than a wire brush. Him and London Fletcher would go a long way to shoring up the middle.

He was brought in as a "situational" player this year, and worked his way into a bigger role.

who says he can't do it again?

I suppose its possible, though I really would be surprised. He is very old now, and hasn't played a complete season for 4 or 5 years. So even if he were able to contribute at a high level next season, it would be unwise to rely on him, as he would be quite unlikely to finish the season in anything but a limited role.

Last edited:
Do you remember the game when he got the game ball from BB for covering the TE down the middle for like 40 yards.

We sure could of used that in Indy.

but that said; I think he calls it quits.

Thought if he played another year it would be at SD, his home town, as a replacement for Edwards. The recent coaching upheaval may dissuade him, tho. Wouldn't mind having him back, but his free lancing didn't sit to well with Pepper. Rather see us draft Siler and see what Alexander can do. Great attitude, tho.

I think he'll give it one more shot for a ring. Didn't Rodney imply on WEEI that both he and Junior would be back? BB certainly seems to like him.

Thought if he played another year it would be at SD, his home town, as a replacement for Edwards. The recent coaching upheaval may dissuade him, tho. Wouldn't mind having him back, but his free lancing didn't sit to well with Pepper. Rather see us draft Siler and see what Alexander can do. Great attitude, tho.
no way he replaces edwards in sd, mr glass is too old, we don't want him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots