PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will Samuel return... or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would make a very serious effort to sign Asante. He's been a productive, reliable, and improving player for the Pats. He had a great year this season. Top tier cornerback.

I've never understood the complaints about Asante's play. Sometimes I think fans hold players up to some unattainable mythical standard of comparison. Has Asante been beaten on plays? Sure. Name a CB who hasn't. It comes the territory.

Obviously, the Pats coaching staff is infinitely better able to grade Asante's play than we are. But, I would not be surprised to see the Pats offer him a long-term deal at top-five money. Of course, the original team is always at a disadvantage in these situations. Another team will always offer more money in free agency. Free agency requires over-paying.

I wouldn't totally rule out the possibility of the Pats coming to terms with Asante before the start of the free agency period.

February 8, Thursday

First day clubs can designate Franchise or Transition players.

February 12, Monday

Waiver system begins for 2007. Players with at least four previous pension-credited seasons whom clubs desire to terminate are not subject to the waiver system until after the trading deadline in October.

February 22, Thursday*

Deadline for designation of Franchise/Transition players

Not that far off.

They set a value for Asante and that is what they should pay him. Initially I was thinking "pay up Patriots." When I put it in perspective I realized they are in a position to only pay him so much because what happens when Ty Warren's contract is up. What about Wilfork? I am no expert on the salary cap but it would seem to me you can't pay everyone what they think they are worth.

I am very impressed with how Asante has improved as a corner. I do not want to see him go. However, I am a realist and do not see how they sign him. I agree with the person said he will be a Jet next year. I think there is a good chance that is what happens.

Unless of course they franchise him. Do you think they valye Asante at a cost over 7 million?

They're either going to pay him, franchise him, or they're going to pay another FA cornerback. There's no way we go into the season with Hobbs and a rookie starting at corner.

Great corners are not easy to come by. Let's take care of future contracts in future years. Take care of Asante now.

This is not a Deion Branch situation. Deion was expendable compared to Samuel.

Allowing Samuel to go one on one with the top receivers buys you so much on defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back