PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will roster instability hurt the Pats ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TruthSeeker

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
With the insane amount of roster movement the last few days, will that hurt the Pats ? There seems to be no rhyme or reason half the time. Coming into camp, receiver was a strength position, now a weakness, O-line has depth problems after cutting various linemen to pick up our 165th fullback of the year. There is such a thing as chemistry that goes along with winning championships, and is it even possible to build chemistry with such a hectic roster change ? I don't remember this happening during our championship years, nor do I remember recen championship teams doing this. I think due diligence is a good thing, but when is enough, enough ? I really don't feel this current roster, at least offensively, has the depth of last year. Defensively, maybe we have more. But the chemistry can't remain from last year. Too many changes, and not all for the better (IMO). Whattya all think ?

It's not like we are changing starters out, the core remains the same.

As for the rest, it depends on their mental makeup. If they are constantly looking over their shoulders then they may not perform well. if they do their job, then they realize what type of business GM BB runs and they do their best and not worry about the rest.

To be completely honest, Scott, I think that you are overreacting a bit and looking too deeply into things.

Enjoy the season and the good run that we are having, it isn't going to last forever.

The WR position will be added to after the first game when either Branch or Gaffney will be brought back for an unguaranteed salary. There are still plenty of receiving options, so that isn't anywhere near a problem right now anyway.

The roster changes are indicative of a Belichick coached team. They change as the opponents and specific gameplanning go into effect each week or so, not to mention that there are always a ton of changes in the beginning of the year.

Sit back, relax, and let one of the greatest coaches of all time do his thing :cool:

Isn't this pretty much what we do every year??

How did the WR become a weakness? Brandon Lloyd and Wes Welker have the potential to be one of the best WR duos in the NFL. Yes, depth is an issue at least until next week when they bring back Branch and/or Gaffney. But this WR corp as it stands right now is still an upgrade from last year with the addition of Lloyd and Salas.

Also, a bunch of roster moves at the bottom of the roster is what helped to get the Pats back to the Super Bowl last year. Belichick was constantly tweaking the roster last year and some guys who were added to work on the scout team ended up being contributors. I don't care about bottom of the roster tweaks.

One of BB's strengths is that he rapidly evaluates performance independent from contracts, reputations, salary, draft order, etc. And as soon as he determines that a better option is available, he takes it and moves on. BB may not be outstanding in recognizing talent, but it is more his ability to recognize and correct mistakes that separates him from the rest.

Isn't this pretty much what we do every year??

Yup. Churning the very bottom of the roster and the PS is SOP. I think some are just lumping it in with some headscratching veteran cuts and the troublesome fact that Waters didn't show afterall and we haven't seen Shiancoe in some time and Vereen in a little while.

They also kick dozens of tires into the first week of any season as they update emergency lists. And with a team this young it can't hurt to maintain some sense of unease among guys who have done well to this point fighting for their lives. Complacency is a killer. Fear is a great motivator. Ask Tom, it's what he uses personally to maintain his edge.

I don't believe it will be an issue.

every year I lead my fantasy league in transactions, and win the regular season.....only to get my ass kicked in the playoffs

Yup. Churning the very bottom of the roster and the PS is SOP. I think some are just lumping it in with some headscratching veteran cuts and the troublesome fact that Waters didn't show afterall and we haven't seen Shiancoe in some time and Vereen in a little while.

They also kick dozens of tires into the first week of any season as they update emergency lists. And with a team this young it can't hurt to maintain some sense of unease among guys who have done well to this point fighting for their lives. Complacency is a killer. Fear is a great motivator. Ask Tom, it's what he uses personally to maintain his edge.

Always viewed the kicking dozens of tires, as adding names to the rolodex or speed dial.. better to be prepared and know the guy, than going cold.

They hate their coach:)

2001 and 2003 probably saw more roster turnover/instability than any other seasons since BB got here. Lawyer Milloy anyone? And how did those turn out? When you have the leadership this team has things will iron themselves out over the course of the season, that's why you should just enjoy the earlier games and don't put an incredible amount of stock into it good or bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back