PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will Romeo Keep His gig?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry Glenn is a cowgirl

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
In most years, a 10-6 record will most likely get you into the playoffs.

The Browns didn't get it in because of their last weeks meltdown, and the Titans win this week.

I hope that he can keep his job, he did turn this team around.

I just like the guy... he is much classier than Dungy will ever be imo.

He'll certainly keep his job. As for turning them around, let's remember the Jets and 9-7 last year. The Browns had an easy schedule and beat only one over .500 team this year. AFC South / NFC East on their 2008 schedule - let's see how it goes.

I do realize that their schedule was a soft one, similar to the Jets last year, but, he finally found a decent qb, the running game is better, and Cribbs is dangerous.

They are interesting, with Edwards, Winslow and a good OL. I want to see Anderson over a full season against stronger opponents as he wasn't very good the last 5-6 games. I also don't think they can get where they want to until they start bringing in some real talent on the DL.

I do realize that their schedule was a soft one, similar to the Jets last year, but, he finally found a decent qb, the running game is better, and Cribbs is dangerous.

I think thats the key...there's light at the end of the tunnel and things to look forward to. They have potentially two franchise type QBs to pick from, Edwards is one of the best young WRS out there, the same for Winslow and TEs. They have great veteran leadership in McGinnest and Co., the Browns have a good future. They still need a couple more building blocks, but they're a far cry from where they used to be. Firing Romeo would be a crime.

They are interesting, with Edwards, Winslow and a good OL. I want to see Anderson over a full season against stronger opponents as he wasn't very good the last 5-6 games. I also don't think they can get where they want to until they start bringing in some real talent on the DL.

If I were Cleveland, I'd think long and hard about trading Anderson while he has value.

Anderson is only 24 and was essentially a rookie this season so there's a lot to learn on his end. And yes, when you confined to the 3-4 because you don't have 4 DLmen then you have problems.

It was only a snipet, but he may have found two good QB's. When Quinn came in briefly he looked pretty good. He only got credit for going 3 of 8 but twice his WR's dropped beautifully thrown TD passes. Maybe he can parlay one of them into some sweet draft picks. I'd flip Anderson because the league was catching up to him a little down the stretch. Bought low, sell high in a QB starved league.

And you can only play the schedule. We're spoiled, 10 wins is significant for most teams in this league. It wins some divisions.

It was only a snipet, but he may have found two good QB's. When Quinn came in briefly he looked pretty good. He only got credit for going 3 of 8 but twice his WR's dropped beautifully thrown TD passes. Maybe he can parlay one of them into some sweet draft picks. I'd flip Anderson because the league was catching up to him a little down the stretch. Bought low, sell high in a QB starved league.

And you can only play the schedule. We're spoiled, 10 wins is significant for most teams in this league. It wins some divisions.

I agree. I think you're right about the league catching up to Anderson, and I also think that Brady will be a solid NFL QB. The good thing is that they can afford to keep them both because of how far Brady dropped in the draft. However, I would definitely sell high on Anderson. If they can get some draft picks, they could start building a defense to go along with an offense that should be good for years to come.

Considering how mediocre his defense was, going 10-6 is a very good season. Romeo can make the playoffs next season if he can get a defense.

If he can "get" a defense. How about "if he could coach up a defense"? One has to ask how a former "top" defensive coordinator can have such a pathetic defense after coaching them for three years.

Maybe he doesn't have the players to have a top 5 defense, but he spent a bunch of money on players, starting with McGinist. Romeo should be expected to produce lots more on defense.
===========

It's close. I would probably keep him one more year. I think that the fans, ownership and players repect him. Public realtions is indeed important. However, his coaching has been just aweful. He decided the starting QB of the year by a flip of a coin!!! And then he traded away the backup in the next week!!! He had a very weak schedule, but he managed to lose when it counted, against Oakland and Cinci.

You're right but who you beat gives some insight to how good you really are. Like the 9-7 Jets last year who beat only one team over .500.

If he can "get" a defense. How about "if he could coach up a defense"? One has to ask how a former "top" defensive coordinator can have such a pathetic defense after coaching them for three years.

Maybe he doesn't have the players to have a top 5 defense, but he spent a bunch of money on players, starting with McGinist. Romeo should be expected to produce lots more on defense......

For the same reason that Lewis in Cincinnati and Billick in Baltimore have those issues (One could toss in Mangini in New York, as well). You must have personnel to coach. Crennel took a perennial loser and got them to 10 wins. Now it's up to the GM to get him the players that will allow him to repeat that type of season with a tougher schedule.

Last edited:
I just hope he does'nt win coach of the year.

For the same reason that Lewis in Cincinnati and Billick in Baltimore have those issues (One could toss in Mangini in New York, as well). You must have personnel to coach.
And some HC stop coaching. You hire a coordinator as a HC but he doesn't coach anymore. We've all seen how often Belichick grabs the white board and coaches the defense when the offense is on the field. We not only have Belichick the HC but Belichick the great DC. Now - how often do you see Lewis, Billick, Romeo taking off the headset and coaching as if they're still a coordinator ?

The open question is how much Romeo added to the patriot defense. Perhaps Belichick was clling the shots on defense even more back then.

And some HC stop coaching. You hire a coordinator as a HC but he doesn't coach anymore. We've all seen how often Belichick grabs the white board and coaches the defense when the offense is on the field. We not only have Belichick the HC but Belichick the great DC. Now - how often do you see Lewis, Billick, Romeo taking off the headset and coaching as if they're still a coordinator ?

Your point is well made. BTW, I don't think any of the coaches mentioned deserve to keep their jobs. What do you think?

For the same reason that Lewis in Cincinnati and Billick in Baltimore have those issues (One could toss in Mangini in New York, as well). You must have personnel to coach. Crennel took a perennial loser and got them to 10 wins. Now it's up to the GM to get him the players that will allow him to repeat that type of season with a tougher schedule.

I love how when you win it's the players and when you lose it's on coaching. Maybe Bill's OC's really aren't all that good in his absence, which makes it a darned good thing the Commish didn't suspend him or Kraft didn't fire him for any number of piddling indiscretions...LOL

Cleveland hasn't won 10 games since some guy named Belichick was the HC until Modell shipped the existing franchise to Baltimore in the dead of night.

Not one player on that Cleveland defense would start in New England.

The open question is how much Romeo added to the patriot defense. Perhaps Belichick was clling the shots on defense even more back then.
It's a good question. In Romeo's favor, I don't recall Belichick coaching the defense on the sideline as much back then as he does now. However, although we haven't gone to the SB since Romeo/Charlie left, the team has been as competitive (given the personnel) so it's difficult to give too much blind credit to any of the Patriots' coordinators, past or present, at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes