PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will RB be a "need" in the off-season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VJCPatriot

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Maroney has been injury prone and hasn't exactly lit it up this season. Kevin Faulk is a good guy but is getting long in the tooth. Morris obviously went out for the year with an injury, who knows how well he will come back from rehab. Kyle Eckel and Heath Evans are not the answer people.

Some free agents that might be available, but will probably get locked up include Marion Barber of Dallas and Kevin Turner of the Chargers. I think that Barber will get signed to a starting RB salary. And I think Turner could be a possibility IF he would take less money to be with a championship team, but chances are he will want to be a starter. He's probably tired of living in LT's shadow. Why would he come to NE to be in Maroney's shadow, other than there's a greater chance Maroney gets hurt?

There are several possibilities in the draft for RBs, McFadden tops the list. Especially after his dominating performance against soon to be former #1 LSU.
205 rushing yards, 3 TDs and a TD past on one of the biggest national stages against the top ranked team in the country.
Felix Jones could also be an intriguing choice later in the 1st day as the eventual replacement for Kevin Faulk our currently very good albeit aging 3rd down back.

Last edited:
Nope. It's not a need. At all. Thanks for trying - because we don't have enough of these McFadden/Maroney threads. I was attempting to generate posts about alternatives to that bunch of noise. Thanks for exemplifying what we're trying to avoid and counterbalance by posting MORE of it.

Nope. It's not a need. At all. Thanks for trying - because we don't have enough of these McFadden/Maroney threads. I was attempting to generate posts about alternatives to that bunch of noise. Thanks for exemplifying what we're trying to avoid and counterbalance by posting MORE of it.

Hey it's called counterbalancing now? Cool. So there's nothing wrong with counterbalancing the hue and cries for linebackers is there? I remember a lot of "we must draft a LB" draft talk before the 2007 draft, but instead BB signed Adalius Thomas.

In 2008 I think BB will go after Karlos Dansby. LB problem solved. What is so hard to get? BB doesn't like to develop LBs, he likes to sign veterans for that position.

RB is a real concern until Maroney can prove himself to be healthy on a daily basis. Did he get pulled or did he tweak a hammy, who knows. But 19 yards rushing against the putrid Bills D does not inspire confidence does it?

Last edited:
You know, I know, and everyone here knows, that this thread is supposed to be a "cute" cheapshot at what was intended to bring about a more diverse group of threads on this site right now. Don't insult our intelligence with this passive-aggressive nonsense.

As for BB not liking to develop LBs, I don't necessarily disagree, but if you're claiming that he will "never" draft one, then please explain to me why he brought in DJ Williams, Vilma, Bradie James, Nick Barnett, Jon Beason and others over the last few drafts. And was Michael Holley LYING in "Patriot Reign" when discussing the Patriots serious interest in Jonathan Vilma, and the fact that he was very high on their board???

but if you're claiming that he will "never" draft one, then please explain to me why he brought in DJ Williams, Vilma, Bradie James, Nick Barnett, Jon Beason and others over the last few drafts.

Never said BB would never draft a linebacker if the value met the opportunity. He just does not tend to value young linebackers as highly as other posters seem to do around here. He has shown a preference of signing veterans. BB might have taken a look at those LB's you're talking about but that's just doing due diligence scouting. He has NOT actually gone and traded up guys like Vilma or Suggs, and he PASSED on Beason. That should give you a pretty good idea of how he values other positions vs linebackers.

Another thing to consider is that RB is one of the EASIEST positions for a rookie to contribute in his 1st year. Look at the successes of guys like Addai, Marshawn Lynch, and Adrian Peterson. If you're going to spend a 1st round pick, RB gives you more bang for your buck when you're looking for an immediate impact. Drafting RB makes a lot of sense, when it's obviously a position of need, AND it has a higher chance of immediate payoff and impact!

Last edited:
I really, really, really, really, really, really, really could care less at this point.

1. No.
2. Dansby will not leave the Cardinals. He will probably be signed to a huge extension and, if not, will be franchised.
3. Just because we haven't used a high pick on a LB yet doesn't mean that we won't ever draft a first round LB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back