PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will Pats sign another WR (or is Washington legit #5?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly think that we're set at WR now. Donte was good, not great, and Jabar can adequately take his place, with Jackson pushing him hard in training camp. As long as Tom, Randy and Wes stay healthy the offence shouldnt miss a beat.

I dont see another vet being brought in at WR, other than some practice squad-level guy who can take some reps in camps and then hope to make another roster. But I really dont see the squad adding another guy. Gaffney is good enough to be the 3rd WR as it is, alongside Moss and Welker. His '06 playoff showing with back to back double digit catch games showed anyone all they need to see with him. He played his role last year, and did it well. But Chad Jackson was not only taken in the 2nd round, but the team MOVED UP to get him. And I can recall earlier prior to the draft hearing a little buzz about him going in the 1st and being the top WR taken. As it was, I think only Santonio Holmes went ahead of him. Point being, despite not really proving anything to this point, you know the team wants to at the very least clear a path for him to succeed. Theyre certainly not going to hand him anything. But they'll be optimistic in expecting him to step up and be ready. I only hope the team is able to offer permanent relief in the return game and allow one of other younger players, maybe a rookie DB, to handle those duties. I for one expect great things from the kid.

Last edited:
I thought that this forum was for people who had an idea about the game:

Gaffney isn't a WR2 as his strengths are NOT repeat NOT to be played on the outside. He likes (as does Welker, Faulk) to play inside (or in the slot- oooer Missus) against Nickel corners or linebackers where he can take advantage against mismatchups.

Gaffney isn't a WR2 as his strengths are NOT repeat NOT to be played on the outside. He likes (as does Welker, Faulk) to play inside (or in the slot- oooer Missus) against Nickel corners or linebackers where he can take advantage against mismatchups.

They played him on the outside plenty last season. I know they also consider him slot backup to Welker, but he was always lined up outside for the Pats last season, and he was good enough to eclipse Stallworth on the depth chart as the outside receiver opposite Moss.

There is no reason to suit up more than FOUR players as wide receivers. There is actually enough with THREE wide receivers active, if we suit up three TE's and three running backs. The five "receiver" set uses Watson and Faulk as receivers.

In direct answer to the question, Washington is a legitimate #4 receiver and will compete with Jackson for reps. The #5 wide receiver and #6 receiver positions are not wide receiver positions at all; they are ST positions, who can play WR in emergency in case of injury. As was noted, Washington didn't catch any passes last year as the #5 recevier.

Last edited:
Wahington is a helluva #4 muchless #5

No offense to anyone's opinion - but as has been pointed out by myself and several others, I'm not sure how one can promote Washington in the WR ranks based on his production as a WR.

If you think, as I do, that a #5 WR is primarilly a Special Teamer then you're VERY happy with Washington at #5. His work ethic and hustle are outstanding.

But I'm scratching my head as to what it is about 0 catches last year that make people think he's a skilled WR. I'm not saying he's not, just that we've got NOTHING to draw a judgement on.

The bottom line is that BB will have as many guys in camp as he can and let them fight it out on the field, and the best man will win. Give Washington a major headstart for proving himself as a guy with a good attitude and special team contributor, but admit to yourself that 0 catches doesn't justify a major promotion.

I think physically, Chad Jackson is what the Pats want to replace Stallworth. But he's no Stallworth. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Pats draft a WR. Though he's not big, I'm a big fan of Dexter Jackson. Brady would have a field day with him. I wouldn't mind taking him with our (1st) 3rd round pick.

You're right. Jackson isn't Stallworth. Jackson actually has hands. In college, it took him more than a year to learn the routes, but when he finally did, he was a standout and ran them to damn near perfection.

People need to realize that its still too early to call Jackson a bust. Last year, Jackson was on the field in November. That is about 9 months post ACL surgery. That says ALOT. Fact is that, even with the great advances in surgery, it still takes 12-18 months to be 100% from an ACL surgery.

That being said, I DO expect Jackson to perform and, if he doesn't, for him to earn the bust title.

But I'm scratching my head as to what it is about 0 catches last year that make people think he's a skilled WR. I'm not saying he's not, just that we've got NOTHING to draw a judgement on.
He's had as many as 31 catches in a season before which isn't bad for a non starting WR. He's never had a big year but 31 catches in a season shows he can be a competent WR. Gaffney had 36 last year and we're comfortable with him.

Someone is going to be 4th on the WR depth chart - Aiken, Jackson, Jones, and Washington are the current contenders. I see no reason to think Washington doesn't have as good a chance as any of them. He's the only one of the 4 who has ever produced anything as a WR in the NFL although his numbers were nothing to write home about. He's probably also the only one of the 4 not fighting for a roster spot because his tremendous ST play is going to get him one even if he doesn't prove a threat on offense.

Last edited:
He's had as many as 31 catches in a season before which isn't bad for a non starting WR. He's never had a big year but 31 catches in a season shows he can be a competent WR. Gaffney had 36 last year and we're comfortable with him.

So in otherwords, based on last year's performance as a WR he did nothing to warrant a promotion. I do agree with you about his potential though.

The fact that Stallworth is gone potentially does move him up - but that's by default, and the fact that he's a valuable ST contributor might actually work AGAINST him getting more reps at WR

The fact that Stallworth is gone potentially does move him up - but that's by default, and the fact that he's a valuable ST contributor might actually work AGAINST him getting more reps at WR

Possibly.

It also potentially gives him the edge as well. If he is the #4 WR, that frees up an active roster spot for another position on gameday as only 4 WRs would be active. If Jackson (for example) is the 4th WR, 5 WRs would need to be active because Washington will be needed on ST.

I think there will be competition for not only the 4th...5th slots..but also at the 2..(Moss and Welker taking up teh 1 and 3 positions..) I agree Gaffney has the big edge, but I also think a mim salried vet COULD be brought in later in teh offseason. It's NOT a high priority, but I would not rule it out, given all the possible players that could be cut and could be available. The real fight will be for the lower ones..Jackson has promise, and may in time be able to challenge for a 2nd. Washington, Aiken and Jones as well. And there is no question other receivers will be brought into camp...UDFAs..draftees. ButI would not at all be surprised with a vet added...(at a low salary).NOT AT ALL talking about any high priced addition. THAT makes sense..

I'm willing to go on record right now and say that Washington, at the very least, will QUADRUPLE his catches from last year!!!

Why stop there? I'll predict that both Washington and Jackson will exceed one billion times their receiving yardage from last year!

Gaffney isn't a WR2 as his strengths are NOT repeat NOT to be played on the outside.

Since you have such a good idea about the game you doubtless noticed that Gaffney was starting over Stallworth at WR2 by the end of last season. He's no game breaker, but his body control makes serves him well along the sidelines.

So in otherwords, based on last year's performance as a WR he did nothing to warrant a promotion. I do agree with you about his potential though.
The fact of the matter is he wasn't needed as a WR. That has no bearing on his ability. We were loaded at WR and no-one got hurt. However, once you show a skill you own it barring injury or age. Washington showed he could be a 30+ catch WR which says he's a competent 4th WR. The fact that he wasn't needed last year doesn't change that. He hasn't had an injury that would diminish the skill he showed, nor has he reached an age where his skill level will diminish.

Why stop there? I'll predict that both Washington and Jackson will exceed one billion times their receiving yardage from last year!

Since you have such a good idea about the game you doubtless noticed that Gaffney was starting over Stallworth at WR2 by the end of last season. He's no game breaker, but his body control makes serves him well along the sidelines.

Actually you're both right - With Moss, Gaffney and Welker it was kindof like the Patriots scheme was to have a #1 and two #3 WRs... Gaffney certainly does have an uncanny ability to get his feet down, no doubt, but no one's going to mistake him for a deep WR on the other side of Moss either.

The fact of the matter is he wasn't needed as a WR. That has no bearing on his ability. We were loaded at WR and no-one got hurt. However, once you show a skill you own it barring injury or age. Washington showed he could be a 30+ catch WR which says he's a competent 4th WR. The fact that he wasn't needed last year doesn't change that. He hasn't had an injury that would diminish the skill he showed, nor has he reached an age where his skill level will diminish.

No question - I agree with you. My only point is that there are some who look at his performance last season and have elevated him at WR for us.

I'm not knocking him for having 0 catches... but you can't say "hey - 0 catches! let's promote him to #4 or #3.

He'll have his chance to fight it out - but I think he's more valuable to us on ST and as a backup WR in case of injury... in other words, he's a solid #5.

And as a solid #5 there's every chance he could have ANOTHER 0 catch season.

Last edited:
Many of you don't seem to care much for Chad Jackson but let's keep in mind that they felt highly enough to move up in the second round of the draft a couple years ago. Yes, he's been injured but he has #1 WR talent and with a couple years under his belt, I think he is going to establish himself this year as a legitimate outside threat leaving Welker to tear apart teams in the slot. When Moss is done in a couple years (with 2 rings), Jackson will be entering his prime and ready to lead the league. Wow, I didn't realize I had man-love for this guy.

Seriously, though. I think Maroney & Jackson had unfairly taken a lot of heat for not being able to carry the load. Maroney has done everything asked of him (including not complaining for more carries) and, although I would have liked to see more of Jackson, he was behind Moss, Stallworth, and Welker in his second season. Not sure who could have broken into that line-up. Especially with Belichick preferring veterans.

This is the year we have to fix the "D". In my early stages on preparing for draft, I like McKelvin, Q. Groves, B. Bell, Tyrell Johnson as our first day picks.
they moved up for bethel johnson to

they moved up for bethel johnson to

And many people questioned this because Bethel was thought to be a poor route runner. Whereas, Jackson is thought to be an excellent route runner once he learns the routes.

And many people questioned this because Bethel was thought to be a poor route runner. Whereas, Jackson is thought to be an excellent route runner once he learns the routes.

Cant be that hard to learn the routes can it?

I mean... the alternatives are:

Fast, slow, stop. Turn Around. Shimmy Inn. Shimmy Out. Short, Long, Zig Zag.

I mean... Stephen Hawking could probably grab them in a matter of seconds, but I dont fancy throwing to him. Mind you... third and goal on the one and I'd hand off to him ;)

The WR I would like to see acquired, via the draft/UDFA, is a "smurf"-sized, backup slot WR/KOR/Punt Returner. I feel uneasy seeing our starting RB, WR, and CB returning kicks. Hobbs was a terrific KOR early in the season; however, injuries lessened his effectiveness as the season progressed. I don't think that he is built to be both a starting CB and the primary KOR. Welker has proven to be a great WR and a good Punt Returner, but I'd rather not roll that dice too often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes