PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will Pats fall victim to SB loser Jinx???

Status
Not open for further replies.

aztecafut

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
I really dont see it happening since IMO the pats are still the best team in the NFL. (I hope i dont sound too much like a homer) Other fans area sure hoping it will happen although this fox sports writer doesnt seem to convinced it will happen either. Check out this article:

msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8186744/Jinx-has-its-work-cut-out-for-it-in-Patriots

What do you guys think? Do you think the Pats will be jinxed after losing the SB and not make the playoffs this year?

Last edited:
The Pschye of this team after the SB loss and the offseason that followed will be the key, but with Belichick and Brady we are poised to succeed..

I honestly can't see the Pats not winning the division.

The Pschye of this team after the SB loss and the offseason that followed will be the key, but with Belichick and Brady we are poised to succeed..

And succeed we will. Go Pats!!! This jinx aint got nothin on us! :D

I really dont see it happening since IMO the pats are still the best team in the NFL. (I hope i dont sound too much like a homer) Other fans area sure hoping it will happen although this fox sports writer doesnt seem to convinced it will happen either. Check out this article:

msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8186744/Jinx-has-its-work-cut-out-for-it-in-Patriots

What do you guys think? Do you think the Pats will be jinxed after losing the SB and not make the playoffs this year?

hell to the no they wont!

It is a fluff piece that doesn't address why the jinx is real and how these factors are either present or not present. There is quite a bit of overlap here with the factors that makes winning back to back very difficult.

1) You start your off season preparations late. You have the least amount of time of any of the other teams to prepare for the draft, re-sign players and consider FA acquisitions. (same deal with the SB winner) Avg.

2) Huge let down. Not only are you getting a late start, but you are depressed which could hurt motivation. Here the Patriots probably have it worse than most. I doubt the Patriot staff was nearly as depressed post the SB loss to the Bears, when nobody even expected us to make the playoffs this year, this year was different. Much worse than avg.

3) Additional factor distraction over the Rams walkthru. BB didn't even have chance to view the tapes of the SB three days later, he was dealing with other stuff. Pretty obvious what that other stuff was. Unique

4) Sense you had your shot and the window is closing/closed. Better than avg.

5) Late draft pick. You don't get to pick until #31 normally. Much much better than avg.

6) Player have less time to heal in the off-season. Avg.

7) Typically a tough schedule. better than avg

8) Other teams are gunning for you. Much worse than avg.

There is no such thing as jinxes, pre-destination or locks.

See: An 18-0 Bill Belichick coached team losing in the Super Bowl to Eli Manning.

I have thought about it. Compare what happend to the Pats is kind of like what happened to the Mets last year, and look at the Mets body of work so far. Not good. Last years collapse totally carried over.

On the other hand, BB is no Willie Randolph. And Tom Brady is nowhere near Jose Reyes, David Wright, Carlos Beltran, ect. So no way in hell does the jinx happen.

Last edited:
Doubt it.

Teams will be much more concerned with the Jets, seeing as how they closed the gap and all.

Doubt it.

Teams will be much more concerned with the Jets, seeing as how they closed the gap and all.

I'd take the Bills for 2nd place over the Jets easily. I really like what the Bills are doing. The Jets are just treading water -- it's only a matter of time before Mangini is pushed out of town.

So...

...how do they explain the Bills losing 4 times in the Super Bowl in a row?

Same as every other year ... health because we have the talent.

This isn't the first "Super Bowl loser jinx" story that I have seen and it surely will not be the last. If nothing else, we have learned from last season that there are a number of sports writers that rehash an old story under their own name as breaking news.

This is also a case of using statistics to back your theory rather than using statistics to form an opinion. For example, I believe this jinx theory is not true, so here are my statistics. All of the numbers below reflect results in the Super Bowl era.

Of the 41 times a team has lost a Super Bowl:
7 times that team won their conference and returned to the SB the next year
15 times that team won their conference and returned to the SB in the next two years
20 times that team won their conference and returned to the SB in the next three years
4 times that team won the SB in the next two years
7 times that team won the SB in the next three years

As far as coming back with a winning record, making the playoffs, or winning the division - I'm not going to take the time to go through those numbers but I guarantee that I could make those stats look favorable too.

Lies, damn lies, and statistics.

We have been getting to the playoffs for the past decade, of course 3 have been SB victories, and the Pats under Kraft, Pioli and Coach Belichick are just superb in being consistent with that. I strongly think this year is our year. I mean since SB 39 we have been in the playoffs even after winning the previous 2 superbowls. So loosing it don't mean crap but to try harder and be perfect (oops they tried that), didn't work so now its just "GO OUT THERE AND WIN THE DAMN THING"

Another thing to consider when comparing the Pats to those other teams: the Pats don't build their time with only one year in mind. For example, the Bucs added offense to a team with a great defense in it's last chance to win. The Ravens went out and signed free agents, rolling the dice that a SB win would be worth the following salary cap hangover. And some of those teams that made it to the SB and lost (e.g., Bears) may have been the best in their conference, but they were probably not even among the best five teams in the NFL that year.

If the Jinx is to continue it will be because Brady gets injured and out for a good part of the season or on IR and Matt Cassell is our QB :eek: - Then the Jinx is in full swing and the Patriots go 6-10

Otherwise nothing other than critical injuries to key players will keep this team from winning the East at the very least.

Last edited:
Trust me, if anything happens to Brady this season, that will be our superbowl jinx.

Oh, someone already beat me to it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes