PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will Patrick Chung make the final roster?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Will Patrick Chung make the final roster?

• Yes

Votes: 25 41.7%
  • No

Votes: 22 36.7%
  • He'll be cut and then re-signed later in the year

Votes: 13 21.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Arrington once had 7 INTs in a season. That must mean he's better than Ryan.
That's a stupid reply that obviously ignores the context of their numbers.

If Arrington was coming off a 7 INT season as a rookie, everyone would say it's possible he could become the #2CB.

But the reality is he only has 1 INT in the last 45 games he's played.

Rookies going into their 2nd year are more of an unknown. Some take a big step forward, some don't. That's why many think it's possible Ryan could pass Browner on the depth chart.

That's a stupid reply that obviously ignores the context of their numbers.

If Arrington was coming off a 7 INT season as a rookie, everyone would say it's possible he could become the #2CB.

But the reality is he only has 1 INT in the last 45 games he's played.

Rookies going into their 2nd year are more of an unknown. Some take a big step forward, some don't. That's why many think it's possible Ryan could pass Browner on the depth chart.

No, what was stupid was your use of INTs to justify your position. That's why I used the example I did, in response.

And where is this "many" you're talking about?

he was given too much responsibility as a 23-24 year old in a horrible secondary that sometimes had Kyle Arrington as the #1 CB. The same Kyle Arrington who is probably the #5 CB on our team this season. Chung was counted on too much at that age.

Look at this list of Cast aways Chung was expected to save.

Even Devin McCourty looked pretty bad at times, playing with that group. McCourty was still finding his niche and transitioning between CB/FS. He wasn't as good as he is now.

It's not unrealistic to think Chung can elevate his game now that he's more experienced and surrounded by an all around better secondary.

Oh god looking at that secondary makes me ill.

Physician...HEAL THYSELF!

Well I think the current locks are McCourty/Harmon/Wilson. I hear the light has come on for Wilson so to speak and he is actually close to Harmon right now. I don't think any of those 3 get cut. The question for the 4th guy usually is how well you play STs. Ebner is one of the best STers on our team so i think he stays. I don't think we carry a 5th safety so i think we got with those 4 with Jamea Thomas making the PS.

Well I think the current locks are McCourty/Harmon/Wilson. I hear the light has come on for Wilson so to speak and he is actually close to Harmon right now. I don't think any of those 3 get cut. The question for the 4th guy usually is how well you play STs. Ebner is one of the best STers on our team so i think he stays. I don't think we carry a 5th safety so i think we got with those 4 with Jamea Thomas making the PS.

I agree that McC, Harmon, Wilson, and Chung likely make up our safety group--but Swanson was listed on the unofficial depth chart as a safety and may make it for the first 4 games while Browner is out.

It may seem like a stretch, but he does contribute on KO returns, and with Boyce penciled in at the top KO returner at the moment and having his job somewhat in jeopardy, I can envision a guy like Swanson earning a spot with continued strong play in TC.

It's probably not likely, but stranger things have happened.

What is the story with the kid from Georgia Tech, Jamea Thomas? He was a smart, strong DB in college who played mostly corner but also played some safety. I haven't seen his name in any of the camp reports. I thought he was going to be in the mix at the 4th safety spot and special teams.

What is the story with the kid from Georgia Tech, Jamea Thomas? He was a smart, strong DB in college who played mostly corner but also played some safety. I haven't seen his name in any of the camp reports. I thought he was going to be in the mix at the 4th safety spot and special teams.

I think many of us felt that way. At this point, he hasn't seem to stand out in any kind of positive way from what I've read. Could be an excellent PS candidate.

If Chung is cut possibly targeted for the infamous Shadow Roster, my confidence in the one seed rises.

I think many of us felt that way. At this point, he [Jemea Thomas] hasn't seem to stand out in any kind of positive way from what I've read. Could be an excellent PS candidate.
He's hurt (unknown injury) and has missed all but the very first practice.

He's hurt (unknown injury) and has missed all but the very first practice.

Thanks, Captain Stone. I suppose that's why he hasn't seemed to stand out much ;)

Think Chung had a really solid game tonight. He was very effective against the run. Pair him with the starters and I think he would be serviceable. Obviously he is a weak link in the passing game but he has a role on this team imo. Chung had a better game than Harmon. Harmon's poor angle coupled with being late and subsequent taking out Logan Ryans knees on the TD they gave up didn't do him any favors. With Mccourty having very good coverage, I think Chung compliments him better than Harmon at this stage through camp.

Last edited:
Think Chung had a really solid game tonight. He was very effective against the run. Pair him with the starters and I think he would be serviceable. Obviously he is a weak link in the passing game but he has a role on this team imo. Chung had a better game than Harmon. Harmon's poor angle coupled with being late and subsequent taking out Logan Ryans knees on the TD they gave up didn't do him any favors. With Mccourty having very good coverage, I think Chung compliments him better than Harmon at this stage through camp.

Don't read too much into the first preseason game.

Don't read too much into the first preseason game.

My beliefs on Chung are from his entire career, not just last night. I was intrigued by his resigning because he is a decent player who is a consistent run stopper with solid tackling skills and brings the thump on hits. His struggles in coverage are well documented but that was on teams with horrible secondaries around him. I firmly believe he compliments Dmac and the other corners better than Harmon at this time, and his amount of snaps are evidence that he wasn't just brought back to be a backup or possible camp fodder. Sure he could suck it up the next couple games and get cut, but it wouldn't surprise me if he is our starting safety.

Last edited:
My believes on Chung are from his entire career, not just last night. I was intrigued by his resigning because he is a decent player who is a consistent run stopper with solid tackling skills and brings the thump on hits. His struggles in coverage are well documented but that was on teams with horrible secondaries around him. I firmly believe he compliments Dmac and the other corners better than Harmon at this time, and his amount of snaps are evidence that he wasn't just brought back to be a backup or possible camp fodder. Sure he could suck it up the next couple games and get cut, but it wouldn't surprise me if he is our starting safety.

I've been over this too many times to count but his tackling skills are widly overrated, he takes some horrible angles, his coverage abilities are just a tad north of awful, and he's consistently late to plays which indicates that he's not making sound pre-snap reads. If he makes the team, it's because Tavon Wilson is still making crippling mental errors.

I've been over this too many times to count but his tackling skills are widly overrated, he takes some horrible angles, his coverage abilities are just a tad north of awful, and he's consistently late to plays which indicates that he's not making sound pre-snap reads. If he makes the team, it's because Tavon Wilson is still making crippling mental errors.
I was really high on Chung his first time around but by the end I was ready for him to go.

I was intrigued by his resigning but not excited.

I thought he looked pretty good last night too. Still not saying he should be the starter but I think he earned a few more reps and we will see how it shakes out.

You are right about his angles on tackles but that is more of a problem in space and as an in the box safety he is pretty good vs the run. His winning a role would be more an indictment on Tavon and Harmon but that also doesnt mean that Chung cant be decent at his role whatever it shakes out to be.

Not necessarily. If we keep four safeties (not including Logan Ryan), and McCourty and Harmon are the de facto starters, both Chung and Tavon could make it as the 3rd/4th. Essentially, our backup safeties are both going to have to be special teams contributors unless we make another signing before the season starts. So the choices come down to Chung, Wilson, Ebner, and Thomas, pick your favorite two. So Chung making it wouldn't necessarily indicate anything about Wilson specifically.

I see this roster being very competitive for anyone in the secondary this year. I don't dislike Chung, I just don't like revisiting old cuts. I figure we must have cut him with good reason off a secondary that wasn't nearly this competitive. I think it more likely we invest in someone younger or move someone over from CB that won't make the CB roster. Still, anything could happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back