PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will Moss START this weekend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsox23

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
There's a really good back-and-forth that has blossomed over in the "Caldwell cut" thread (aka "Deux Ex Bush League Central") ;) and I wonder if it deserves its own thread. I'll kick it off by borrowing from fellow posters:

Some think NO WAY - Moss hasn't practiced much and hasn't played at all. He'll be worked in, but it's going to be more Gaffney, Stallworth, Welker and sporadic Moss.

Others think DEFINITELY - Moss is "special," he and Brady have had time, sufficient enough, to get on the field and make things happen. It won't be perfect yet, but on the way to getting in sync, it'll be plenty productive.

Still others (myself, FTR) believe it's SOMEWHERE IN BETWEEN - It all depends on what they see in practice. It's plausible that Moss, being "special," as he no doubt is, will more easily and quickly assimilate into the offense, in which case, he'll see a good amount of time and will get the start.

Let's weigh in and split off the other thread into a discussion of the good direction it's headed...

Who's up?

Last edited:
Yes, Moss starts this weekend with Stallworth and Welker.

I really think that Welker will play every snap and the rest of the guys will be splitting snaps pretty even for the first couple of weeks, then Moss and Stallworth pretty much play the large percentage of the game.

We'll open in a 3 WR set with Moss, Stallworth and Welker and challenge the Jets to stop them. Moss is a veteran and one of the best players of the past 10 years, so it's foolish to think he can't step in and start.

what is a starter? to be in the first play and then mcdaniels changes from a double tight end to a 3 wr set? it really doesn't matter.

the big question as Reiss answered last year every week was ..... what percentage of plays will Moss be a part of? I'm saying 30%ish.

We'll open in a 3 WR set with Moss, Stallworth and Welker and challenge the Jets to stop them. Moss is a veteran and one of the best players of the past 10 years, so it's foolish to think he can't step in and start.

Maroney will carry the ball for the first 5 plays challenging the jets line to dominate or be dominated.

Maroney will carry the ball for the first 5 plays challenging the jets line to dominate or be dominated.

I think that might be a very good possibility. It will also limit the ability for the Jets to throw dynamic blitzes at the pats although we will see some run blitzes which could open the door for maroney to bring one all the way.

The other big question is whether or not Asante starts this weekend at corner or at nickle back to 'get him back into shape'

what is a starter? to be in the first play and then mcdaniels changes from a double tight end to a 3 wr set? it really doesn't matter.

the big question as Reiss answered last year every week was ..... what percentage of plays will Moss be a part of? I'm saying 30%ish.

Excellent point. I think that percentage is pretty likely, too.

I would love to see the Pats come out and run Maroney down their throats like we did against (a much better defense in) Carolina. Should be a fun game.

I think Moss will start. I expect Kyle Brady instead of Welker, but either is great.

Moss, Stallworth, Watson and Brady/Welker is a pretty impressive line-up.

I really think that all of us who thought that the whole Moss will be cut and his injury were all disinformation to screw with Mangina's Jests, were right. After all thats how BB runs his business (injury reports, press conferences, all there to confuse the opposition). I am 100% Moss will be playing on Sunday, unless he re-injures his hamy again (KNOCK ON WOOD)

I think it is certainly arguable that the Pats F.O. was behind some of the Moss stuff, just to give the jets a little more to think about.

I say yes but in a limited capacity.

I'm thinking he and D.Thomas will both be listed as questionable. Moss will start. Thomas will not be active. That way questionable still means 50%. On the injury report both will be listed as missing some portions of practice.

On Sunday, Moss will play about half of the offensive snaps but Maroney will be the offensive player of the game.

Okay, that was far too specific for any of it to be correct. :)

He will play a lot. Randy Moss commands a double-team, whether he knows the plays or not (and I believe he does. Why? Because he has the most god-given talent of any WR in NFL history and his football IQ is extremely high).

The strain that that automatic double team puts on a D was evident to BB everytime he faced Moss in the past and it will be evident to the Jets on Sunday.

He will play a lot. Randy Moss commands a double-team, whether he knows the plays or not (and I believe he does. Why? Because he has the most god-given talent of any WR in NFL history and his football IQ is extremely high).

The strain that that automatic double team puts on a D was evident to BB everytime he faced Moss in the past and it will be evident to the Jets on Sunday.

I agree. Wouldn't it be awesome for Brady's first play of the season to be a 70yd TD strike to RM !! :D Oh well! One can dream!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back