PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will Mayo require surgery? 3rd degree and all...

Status
Not open for further replies.

klinefan

Banned
Reaction score
Someone said his MCL is a 3rd degree sprain. That is according to other posters a "complete tear".

Don't complete tears require surgery and if so will that take him a while to come back?

Re: Will Mayo require surgery? 3rd degree and all..

Torn MCLs do not require surgery. Even if it's a complete tear.

The problem is "someone said" and we really do not know, initially it was reported as a sprain.. we might know in about 18 months, but not right now.

They reckon it's a few months for it to heal and gain strength if it's completely torn. Uusaly they dont operate on MCL's unless more ligaments are damaged. I say they, I mean actual doctors..

Who said it's torn?

Last edited:
Medial Collateral Ligament Injuries

Medial Collateral Ligament Injuries
Grade III MCL Tear
A grade III injury is a complete tear of the MCL. Patients have significant pain and swelling, and often have difficulty bending the knee. Instability, or giving out, is a common finding with grade III MCL tears. A knee brace or a knee immobilizer is usually needed for comfort, and healing may take 6 weeks or longer.

There are still conflicting reports on how serious it is. Especially after the Tom Curran piece at the beginning of this year, I will not believe any medical report coming out of Foxboro unless they reveil it officially. Curran had an unimpeachable source that said there was scaring around the ACL and it was loose which could possibly require a second surgery and at the very least was way behind schedule.

MikeReiss Twitter:
"As reporters arrived in the Patriots locker room today, Jerod Mayo was seen on crutches with a brace on his right leg."

Don't think he'd even be in there if he wasn't expected back in a matter of weeks.

MikeReiss Twitter:
"As reporters arrived in the Patriots locker room today, Jerod Mayo was seen on crutches with a brace on his right leg."

Don't think he'd even be in there if he wasn't expected back in a matter of weeks.

I know it won't be, but I'd love it if this was a reverse injury reporting malfunction.

Wed - Mayo DNP
Thurs - Mayo DNP
Fri - Mayo DNP Questionable

And then shazaam, he gets a green-light when active game-planning is over.

I know it won't happen that way, but it sure would be funny.

There is still medical controversy over that. Most doctors are leaning, nowadays, towards not operating on torn MCLs. I had my MCL torn in college, 15 years ago, and fortunately elected not to have surgery.. it was quite painful to cope with, but once it healed I did not experience soreness or pain, or premature arthritis that sometimes comes with knee surgery.

MikeReiss Twitter:

I'm not sure about that - I think the line is drawn at whether a guy is IR'd or not. If they are, then they are not treated as a member of the team from that point forward. In Mayo's case, clearly he isn't going on IR, but I don't think we can make a guess at when he'll be back - other than to say: he will be back.

No, but complete tears take longer to heal than a sprain which makes the 6 week timetable a little optimistic, if that is the case. I'm not sure the initial report of a grade 3 is completely accurate.

There are still conflicting reports on how serious it is. Especially after the Tom Curran piece at the beginning of this year, I will not believe any medical report coming out of Foxboro unless they reveal it officially.

The next official medical report coming out of Foxboro under BB's regime will be the first.

Howzit from Hawaii..first post..was reading through some stuff..this could be totally unrelated..and of course is pure speculation, but i found this to be an interesting article on platelet rich plasma therapy and injuries..

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/17/sports/17blood.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1

"The technique played its most glaring role with Mr. Ward, a receiver who left that Baltimore game in the first quarter with a sprain of the medial collateral ligament in his right knee. The next day, he was injected with a form of PRP therapy called autologous conditioned plasma, which features different proportions of platelets and other cells. Along with strenuous rehabilitation and hyperbaric oxygen therapy, Ward recovered enough to make two catches in the Super Bowl, in which the Steelers beat the Arizona Cardinals.

“I was next in line, the next guinea pig,” Mr. Ward said, referring to Mr. Polamalu’s experience with platelet-rich plasma. “I think it really helped me. The injury that I had was a severe injury, maybe a four- or six-week injury. In order for me to go out there and play in two weeks, I don’t think anyone with a grade-2 M.C.L. sprain gets back that fast.”

Howzit from Hawaii..first post..was reading through some stuff..this could be totally unrelated..and of course is pure speculation, but i found this to be an interesting article on platelet rich plasma therapy and injuries..

"The technique played its most glaring role with Mr. Ward, a receiver who left that Baltimore game in the first quarter with a sprain of the medial collateral ligament in his right knee. The next day, he was injected with a form of PRP therapy called autologous conditioned plasma, which features different proportions of platelets and other cells. Along with strenuous rehabilitation and hyperbaric oxygen therapy, Ward recovered enough to make two catches in the Super Bowl, in which the Steelers beat the Arizona Cardinals.

“I was next in line, the next guinea pig,” Mr. Ward said, referring to Mr. Polamalu’s experience with platelet-rich plasma. “I think it really helped me. The injury that I had was a severe injury, maybe a four- or six-week injury. In order for me to go out there and play in two weeks, I don’t think anyone with a grade-2 M.C.L. sprain gets back that fast.”

Something intelligent...mahalo!!

I would hope that these guys get treated by open minded docs who will try they latest therapies as well as some of the non envasive eastern therapies. What seperates them from us besides the $$$ is the access to basically 24/7 theraputic care.

good find, man. good find!

Is surgery such a bad thing? I honestly don't know in this case, but I would much rather have the knee fixed correctly even if he is out an extra few weeks.

Unfortunately the macho BS stuff will rule, and he will be sent out prematurely, re-aggrevate the knee, and never play at 100%. It would be much, much better to have him come back in say game 10 or 12, but be at 100%. It won't happen and we will hear next Spring how he played lame all this season. Ugh.

while i want mayo to come back this year, all i know is, in the end, i want him to come back as healthy as possible. if its 6 weeks rest or 12 months of rest i dont care. hes 23-24 years old, and i want him to be a cornerstone of this franchise. get well JM

Last edited:
i got a hangnail tonight, should i go to the doctor? dont judge, it hurts *bad*

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill