Welcome to PatsFans.com

Will Massachusetts finally pass Melissa's Bill ?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by cupofjoe1962, Jan 4, 2011.

1. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 Rookie

Ratings:
    +63 / 14 / -9

Middlesex DA Gerry Leone is going to try it again....
    It has been shot down 3 times, but maybe after the tragic death of
    Woburn police officer John “Jack” Maguire the liberals pols in Massachusetts will finally feel enough heat to pass Mellissa's bill.

“Melissa’s Bill” was filed in the memory of Melissa Gosule, a then-27-year-old teacher who, on July 11, 1999, was driving on Cape Cod when her car broke down and then accepted a ride from a stranger who offered to help. Unfortunately, unbeknownst to Melissa, the man who offered to help her was a repeat offender who had served less then two years in jail for a combined 27 criminal convictions. It was the last time that Melissa was ever seen alive, and she was found eight days later in a shallow grave.

Why would anyone vote against a Bill that keeps the most dangerous
    criminals off the street?
  2. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +253 / 3 / -4

Do you know what felony convictions would qualify?

Why not make it more clear -- and relevant -- by changing the law to specify violent felonies?
  3. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 Rookie

Ratings:
    +63 / 14 / -9

Sorry... My previous post did not include the word violent.
    My mistake.....

Hopefully this will pass the Chicowalker test.....

Bill To Keep Repeat Offenders Locked Up Rejected - Boston News Story - WCVB Boston

4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +364 / 11 / -27

The problem with these 3 strike bills is that there needs to be a clear definition of the three felonies.. California and NY who have 3 strikes rules are faced with incredibly high long term incarceration rates, and it is incredibly expensive to take care of older prisoners, both from a protection point of view and medical point of view, often older folks medical needs are better managed and less expensive in community based settings.. prison management issues also come to the forefront, as those with nothing to lose are often the most difficult to manage..

If there was clarification of specific offenses that would trigger this law, then it may be more palatable... if not the unintended consequences can create tremendous costs for the next generation...
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  5. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +520 / 6 / -2

I think the "violent" tag is key. If you are convicted of 3 violent crimes that each carry a 10 year sentence, then you shouldn't be let out cuz you learned computers, or how to knit a sweater.

I personally don't feel bad for any repeat offender. How many crimes can you commit before people stop feeling bad for you? I personally would prefer to see the vermin of the Earth put to death, since they serve no benefit to society. People are starving, and we spend millions and billions of dollars to care for life long losers till their dying day. Just put a bullet in them at the cost of 99 cents. :D
  6. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +253 / 3 / -4

Yes, much better, cupofjoe.

Agreed, darryl, though I think the specification that they be violent helps a lot. I would hope the bill itself is more precise.

The only other issue I could see with this -- and I may have forgotten how it was described since first reading it -- is whether they have to be separate incidents (as would be expected by the term "repeat offender." A 19 year old shouldn't lose the option of parole decades down the road because his crime(s) involve multiple charges, imo.
  7. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +364 / 11 / -27

Remember a statistic that goes something like 93% of the violent crimes are committed by people under the age of 27... some do grow out of it, fortunately..

Some of the worse laws are knee jerk laws that respond to a specific situation, need to do studies to insure that what you have promulgated is something that you can live with 5 years from now...

Judges also need some latitude.. as every case can be different.
  8. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

It could also be that those who commit them before age 27 then spend the majority of the rest of their life in jail...
  9. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +364 / 11 / -27

Not necessarily, most who go to prison get out of prison.. just an interesting stat, take it or leave it.
  10. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +520 / 6 / -2

At the same time, I believe the majority of people in prison are repeat offenders. :D
  11. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +364 / 11 / -27

That is the standard often used for imprisonment.. they have failed at community based intervention, thus they need a more restrictive setting.

There are those who are convicted that have no priors, but most have earned their way in... but, never believe that someone did one offense, more likely they got caught at this event.
  12. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

This is a stat (without a source):

This not:

That was the reason for my response.

It is interesting. I was just raising another factor. From what you remember was that anomaly due to a decrease in violence as they aged or were there other factors?
  13. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +364 / 11 / -27

I qualified it as indicating remember the stat, but not the source, it was often something that we used for planning purposes when I was active in the field of corrections.. younger inmates are often more difficult to deal with than mature ones, both in juvenile and in adult systems...

Often the need for freedom, exceeds their need for excitement... perhaps maturity, but some never change as they seek the predictability of high walls and being controlled by others.