PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will Maroney rush for over 1,000 yards this year with these receivers on same field?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOT64

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
With all the talk about how Brady will throw for well over 4,000-4,500 yards this year is there going to be a 1,000+ yard rusher in Maroney as well?

Going to have to be some very large gains on a regular basis if Brady is going to throw over 30 times a game for Maroney to get that type of yardage unless Morris is not so much in the mix as I think he will be and Faulk as well.

I think Maroney will have to be a very high percentage of the main ball carrier for him to top 1,000 yards - Is he ready for the full time job remains to be seen.

Preferably I would like Maroney with about 900-950 yards and Morris with about 450-550 yards and Faulk adding in some decent yardage as well with Heath getting some cleanup yardage during garbage times and/or goal line runs.

Last edited:
Re: Will Maroney rush for over 1,000 yards this year with these receivers on same fie

1,000 yards is only 62.5 a game, there no reason he won't get that if he stays healthy.

Re: Will Maroney rush for over 1,000 yards this year with these receivers on same fie

1,000 yards is only 62.5 a game, there no reason he won't get that if he stays healthy.

Thats true but you really have to sit and wonder how how much Tom will throw during games now,I think at least 30 attampts a game this year - He may be Manning like with 35 or more passes,Of course how successful Tom is through the air will aid Maroney as to how much the run will come into play.

For instance if Tom is throwing alot on first down and connects for 5-7 yards I can see Maroney getting lots of 2nd or 3rd and short carries...It will depend on circumstances throughout the season.

Also may depend if he splits time with Morris like he did with Dillon...Morris is smaller than Dillon and younger and will not tire and need to be taken out after a play or two,If Morris is having good games when he is in there I could definately see split duty again this year,Why not?

ok moss and stallworth at WR thomas and watson at TE a good OL how can they put 8 in the box to stop him 1600 plus yerd easy ths season

ok moss and stallworth at WR thomas and watson at TE a good OL how can they put 8 in the box to stop him 1600 plus yerd easy ths season

Its not saying the defense will stop him,The point is that if Moss and Stallworth ect: have a great start to the season and the passing game is outstanding will the running game be as big a factor as it has been in the past? - If the pass game is doing well I would stick with it,After all this may be the only season in the near future where we see 2 very well known talented guys on both sides at the WR position,I think theres no way both will be here in 2008

He better.

Said all along the biggest benefactors of this trade are Ben Watson, no more doubling him up, and our running game, no more 8 in the box. If Maroney can return to the '06 form there is no reason why he cannot.

Thats true but you really have to sit and wonder how how much Tom will throw during games now,I think at least 30 attampts a game this year - He may be Manning like with 35 or more passes,Of course how successful Tom is through the air will aid Maroney as to how much the run will come into play.

For instance if Tom is throwing alot on first down and connects for 5-7 yards I can see Maroney getting lots of 2nd or 3rd and short carries...It will depend on circumstances throughout the season.

last 2 seasons:
Brady: 1046 pass attempts
Manning: 1010 pass attempts

i think these WRs help Maroney a lot..he'll get more room to run and going to ZBS will benefit him. Look at how Edge-Addai did with Marvin and Wayne

they get a lot of room to run. Their OL isnt the best but they have a nice solid OL with a few pro bowlers as we do with borderline guys.

Exactly. The 1000 yard stat as a benchmark for RBs long ago became outdated. It is a left over from the 12 and 14 game season era.

If Moroney stays healthy 1000 yards is a lock, as it pretty much is for every #1 RB on a good team who does not split carries.

1200 yards is a much better benchmark of whether it is a big season for Maroney provided he stays healthy.

last 2 seasons:
Brady: 1046 pass attempts
Manning: 1010 pass attempts
Aha! perhaps we are all forgetting that a good passing game = early leads, often large leads, and using the running game to grind down the clock.

A fourth quarter running game is very effective when the opposing defense can't load up. We may even see some Pats criticism about running up the score because if teams do try to put eight men in the box while we are running out the clock, Brady will check off and Moss or Stallwroth will burn them for a late quarter TD.

1,000 yards would be the intermediate target if he were to stay healthy for all 16 games. 62.5 yards a game is only roughly 15 carries with a 4 yard average. That's very doable next year if Moss and Stallworth stretch the field.

If Maroney can return to the '06 form there is no reason why he cannot.

I found this line to be humorous. I too certainly hope that he reverts to his '06 form. I think we're in trouble if he reverts to his college or high school form. :singing:

I'm more concerned about his YPC. If you look back at the 2 greatest single season offenses of the past 10 years (1998 Vikes and 2001 Rams) both ran under 1000 plays a year and had YPC way above 4.0. Last year, the Pats ran 1055 plays and a 3.9 YPC with all RBs worth mentioning over 4.0), the most under the Belichick era (ok running game and no quick strike capability).

Because of this offense's new quick-strike ability, we will see more teams play nickel & dime vs this offense and concede the run and force us to grind it out (see 1990 Bills-Giants). As a group, if the RBs and the o-line are averaging less than 4.3-4.5 YPC, they should be embarased. Maroney might not hit 300 carries, but he should average at least 4.5 to 5.0 YPC in this offense. If he does say 18 carries a game at 4.5 YPC, thats about 1300 yds. I think that's a reasonable projection. Never mind how many screens and catches he'll have out of the backfield when Brady checks down. Hell on wheels this O will be.

As long as he can stay healthy and hit the holes hard, he has the potential to rack up 1800 yards from scrimmage. Easy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye